Resort near Athens

DeanoNorthPerth

Have booked Oceania's Black Sea cruise 29 May 2014 which is Athens to Istanbul. We were intending to fly into Athens from Australia just the day before the cruise but FF seats became available so we will be arriving 22 May.

As a destination Athens doesn't enthuse us but we don't want to catch another plane after flying about 24 hours from Australia. Does anyone know of a resort near Athens we could park ourselves which has enough going on around it to keep us occupied for a week?

Thanks in advance.

Have booked Oceania's Black Sea cruise 29 May 2014 which is Athens to Istanbul. We were intending to fly into Athens from Australia just the day before the cruise but FF seats became available so we will be arriving 22 May.

As a destination Athens doesn't enthuse us but we don't want to catch another plane after flying about 24 hours from Australia. Does anyone know of a resort near Athens we could park ourselves which has enough going on around it to keep us occupied for a week?

Thanks in advance.

I just Googled resorts near Athens and some really nice ones came up...wow...just Google and see what's there.

Take a look at Vouliagmeni, Glyfada, Sounion for starters. Which of these would be the best fit for you will depend entirely on your tastes and interests, so I'm not going to recommend one over the other. ;)

Be aware that the coast road out of Athens can be very busy on weekend mornings, and back into the city it can be crazy on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

If I've read your post right, I understand you're there for a week. In that case if it were me, I'd go for one of the islands. You can use the ferry or hydrofoil to get there, no need for more flying!

There are several that are quite close to Athens. Recommendations would be Aegina, Poros, Hydra and Spetses. Spetses is the furthest from Athens and will take just under two hours on the hydrofoil.

Do allow plenty of time to get back in time for your ship departing though. I would want to err very much on the safe side and be back on the mainland the day BEFORE the ship leaves.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have. :D

Edited by Nigella

Take a look at Vouliagmeni, Glyfada, Sounion for starters. Which of these would be the best fit for you will depend entirely on your tastes and interests, so I'm not going to recommend one over the other. ;)

Be aware that the coast road out of Athens can be very busy on weekend mornings, and back into the city it can be crazy on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

If I've read your post right, I understand you're there for a week. In that case if it were me, I'd go for one of the islands. You can use the ferry or hydrofoil to get there, no need for more flying!

There are several that are quite close to Athens. Recommendations would be Aegina, Poros, Hydra and Spetses. Spetses is the furthest from Athens and will take just under two hours on the hydrofoil.

Do allow plenty of time to get back in time for your ship departing though. I would want to err very much on the safe side and be back on the mainland the day BEFORE the ship leaves.

Happy to answer any more questions you may have. :D

You are a dead-set legend. Thanks Nigella. Much appreciated. Always better to rely on first-hand knowledge than try to sift through the BS that Google can throw up.

Just got back from cruise to Turkey, Greek islands.

We opted to go to Corinth at the port stop for Athens.

It is a beautiful area with many resorts. Lovely beaches.

it would be lovely in May.

You could tour the ancient site of Corinth. It has a nice museum on site too.

also take a boat ride through the Corinth canal.

• 1 month later...

I would most emphatically opt to take a ferry to a Greek island instead of staying on the mainland. We did this once, although we didn't stay in resorts, and we moved around. First you have to choose an island, and there are websites for this. Here's the one I used a lot:

http://www.greektravel.com/

We chose Poros, and then went on to the Peloponnesian Peninsula and based ourselves in Napflion for daytrips in that area.