Lost/Stolen Luggage - Carnival Magic 10/13/13

Tropiclover2013

My first cruise was on October 6th on the Carnival Magic. Put luggage out the night before disembarkment. Got to pot of Galveston and my suitcase was gone. I did a report with carnival on 10/13/13. I received a call on 10/14/13 from a man in Monterrey, MX saying he took my suitcase by mistake and would send it back to me. He never called back with his number and did not return my luggage. There was no caller ID and I called carnival at least 20 times in the last month. They think they know who has it but the person they believe has it will not answer calls or emails from Carnival.

It has all my souvenirs and nice clothes in it. I just want my things back. Does anyone have any ideas?

Desperate :confused: here!!

My first cruise was on October 6th on the Carnival Magic. Put luggage out the night before disembarkment. Got to pot of Galveston and my suitcase was gone. I did a report with carnival on 10/13/13. I received a call on 10/14/13 from a man in Monterrey, MX saying he took my suitcase by mistake and would send it back to me. He never called back with his number and did not return my luggage. There was no caller ID and I called carnival at least 20 times in the last month. They think they know who has it but the person they believe has it will not answer calls or emails from Carnival.

It has all my souvenirs and nice clothes in it. I just want my things back. Does anyone have any ideas?

They should reimburse you. Have you talked to somebody higher up? I'm sure you have, but thought I would ask

Unfortunately, at this point, I'd chalk it up as gone. Do you have insurance? They may reimburse.

I know you're angry, I would be too. You would think that if they'd gone to the trouble of calling once, they'd call back. If it were me, and if the contents were important, I'd offer to pay the return shipping if they would just get it to the post office. But, sometimes it's just best to chalk it up as a loss and move on as best you can.

Good luck!

Does he have the info he needs to send it to you? If so, maybe it will still come. Maybe he just hasn't gotten around to sending yet (I know, that's rude but it might not be real high on his priority list) Or it could even be that he sent it but it has now gotten lost in transit. At this point, you may as well write it off as gone for good and if it shows up eventually, it will be a nice surprise, like when you find money in the pocket of the jacket you haven't worn in a year. Sorry this happened to you. I know it sucks.

I've always been worried that something like that would happen so I always like to do self-disembark. We always try to bring as little luggage as possible so we can carry it on & off ourselves. Here's hoping that guy will get back in touch with you!! Good Luck!

"I received a call on 10/14/13 from a man in Monterrey, MX saying he took my suitcase by mistake and would send it back to me."

Not to be cynical, but this man has YOUR personal information!:eek::mad:

Not good...NEVER leave any identification in your luggage!:(

Remember, he called you out of the blue...Again not good!:(

"I received a call on 10/14/13 from a man in Monterrey, MX saying he took my suitcase by mistake and would send it back to me."

What do you think is on a luggage tag?

REALLY???!?!? Since luggage tags are required to fly - that's a pretty unreasonable statement! :mad:

Last month my large luggage went missing. Lucky me, Carnival found it, and shipped it to me. What a disaster, lost luggage, missed an excursion, and a 5 hour wait at the airport. From now on with the spinner wheels on the luggage its easier to move around. We intend to self debark in the future.

Thats why we carry our luggage out. Hope it turns out good for you.

Carnival could probably find the passenger or narrow it down if they were from Mexico. I can't imagine a cross reference between that city and your sailing date would produce that many names. There is no way that CCL is going to give you the information of the passenger and I doubt if they will be bothered by running this down themselves.

This happened to me and the passenger flew with my bag. I left the identical looking bag I figured was his at the port. I called him and he explained to American Airlines what happened and they sent it to my home airport, fortunately we were both flying AA.

I will say CCL will do little for you and if you've ever read the sailing agreement, the amount covered on luggage would not cover the case itself in most cases, let alone the contents.

Another option is to call your home owner (or rental) insurance provider and explain what happened. Its basically theft of personal belongings, wether accidental or deliberate. The problem here is most people have a deductible in this situation that would make claiming it not worth it...unless you're luggage was full of Burberry or Prada.

One more thought, if you didn't purchase travel insurance, if you purchased the trip via a major credit card (not your bank's debit card, but a credit card), many include some level of "vacation protection", which might include reimbursement for lost baggage.

I know my Capital One Rewards & my Royal Carribbean (via BofA) offer this if the trip was purchased on those cards. Might be another option if you have to purchase replacement clothing, etc.

Hope everything works out for you!

Bummer on your bag -- this won't help return or prevent a careless person (or thief) from walking away with it.

We always print up a full sheet of paper for the inside of each bag. It has our name, (last only) - cell number and contact info for the full trip. Hotel names, numbers and dates, ship date and cabin number and all flight information.

Our luggage tag on the outside has our last name, work address and cell number.

If the bag gets side-tracked long the way, everything is there for an honest person to help get it back to us. It doesn't work at all with thieves :mad:

Edited by CRUZBUDS

I work in lost and found for a hotel at a major tourist destination.

Please please please put your contact information in your luggage somewhere. I cant get a hold of you to get you back your stuff if I don't have a phone number or email address. And if you put an email address then PLEASE check your email on occasion.