Food question?

johnsose2

We will be on the pride in January and one of our ports is port canaveral. We are trying to stick to a budget with this cruise. We got some passes from our congressman for half of my family (7 people total) for Kennedy space center, and already arranged our private transportation. Our only hang up is food while we are there because it seems like when my wife and I were there a couple years ago it was kind of expensive to eat there. Now for the question! My moms friend said on their last cruise they ordered sandwiches from room service and packed them in a small cooler and took them with them to eat while in port. I take whatever the lady says with a grain of salt! So I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this? Tia

I have heard of people doing this. Note, while I am not sure about the U.S., it is illegal in most ports to take non-prepackaged food off the ship. I do recall reading on here not too long ago that one woman tried to take a banana off the ship when disembarking and got it confiscated and also got a huge fine.

So, I guess you could give it a shot and see what happens.

Kennedy is expensive for food. There is not a lot (from what I recall and it was several years ago) in the immediate area. However, within a reasonable distance from the port, there are grocery stores and convenience stores. You might just want to make a quick stop on your way and stock up on some snack items there. If you'll have a cooler, that will greatly add to your options. Much cheaper, far healthier and a lot better choice. Plus, no worries about whether or not you'll be caught and fined getting off the ship.

Good luck!

I just got back from a Carnival trip to Cozumel. We had a 20 can vinyl cooler with plastic insert that they sell at Walmart/Target etc. Used it as a toiletries carry on, then as a cooler during the cruise. Our snorkeling excursion in Coz didnt include food, so we ordered sandwiches/ cookies and bananas from room serviceand took them on the trip. No one checked anything walking off or back on the ship. ( brought back some extra beers that I purchased in Cozumel. Bring several large zip lock baggies and you should be good to go....

I just got back from a Carnival trip to Cozumel. We had a 20 can vinyl cooler with plastic insert that they sell at Walmart/Target etc. Used it as a toiletries carry on, then as a cooler during the cruise. Our snorkeling excursion in Coz didnt include food, so we ordered sandwiches/ cookies and bananas from room serviceand took them on the trip. No one checked anything walking off or back on the ship. ( brought back some extra beers that I purchased in Cozumel. Bring several large zip lock baggies and you should be good to go....

I like the way you think!:D

You are not supposed to take food off the ship in foreign ports unless prepacked like cereal. They do have dogs on occasion checking for this and if caught you would be in trouble.

Would think it would be ok in a US port.

This statement was in the Important Information section of the Fun Times when we ported in Key West in April. I'm sure the same restriction applies to Port Canaveral.

"Please be aware you are prohibited from taking any packages, boxes, or restricted items ashore. Also, it is prohibited to take any fruit, vegetables or food ashore with you. Landing any such items is a violation of United States Law and may result in a fine."

This statement was in the Important Information section of the Fun Times when we ported in Key West in April. I'm sure the same restriction applies to Port Canaveral.

"Please be aware you are prohibited from taking any packages, boxes, or restricted items ashore. Also, it is prohibited to take any fruit, vegetables or food ashore with you. Landing any such items is a violation of United States Law and may result in a fine."

Thank you that is what I figured! I guess we will see if the driver will stop at a store real quick while we run in and get some stuff, hopefully they don't charge extra. Thank you everyone for the responses!

We will be on the pride in January and one of our ports is port canaveral. We are trying to stick to a budget with this cruise. We got some passes from our congressman for half of my family (7 people total) for Kennedy space center, and already arranged our private transportation. Our only hang up is food while we are there because it seems like when my wife and I were there a couple years ago it was kind of expensive to eat there. Now for the question! My moms friend said on their last cruise they ordered sandwiches from room service and packed them in a small cooler and took them with them to eat while in port. I take whatever the lady says with a grain of salt! So I was wondering if anyone else has ever done this? Tia

I am not sure of this or if it was the disney line (i get them mixed up sometimes with small details) If they have those Uncrustables (the packaged PB and J sandwiches) they can go in port because they are sealed.

We bring along sealed granola bars, and bags of cookies or crackers for just such issues. As long as they are factory sealed, it is allowed.

So, be sure everyone eats before going, use snacks, eat again upon ship reboarding. Small sacrifice for a large family considering they are cruising, and certainly won't cause any ill health issues. I'd hate to think of the food bill for 7 when it's really not necessary.

You are not supposed to take food off the ship in foreign ports unless prepacked like cereal. They do have dogs on occasion checking for this and if caught you would be in trouble.

In 15 cruises, I have never seen dogs checking bags coming off the ship. Worst thing that will happen is they take the food. I have seen alcohol being tagged coming back on the ship, but not beer.

In 15 cruises, I have never seen dogs checking bags coming off the ship. Worst thing that will happen is they take the food. I have seen alcohol being tagged coming back on the ship, but not beer.

We've seen beagles sniffing the bags as you left the baggage pickup area. Happened twice, in Tampa and/or Miami.

We've seen beagles sniffing the bags as you left the baggage pickup area. Happened twice, in Tampa and/or Miami.

I have seen the sniffing dogs in Tampa too.

I don't remember seeing them in Port Canaveral but that doesn't mean people should ignore the laws. They are there for good reason.

I believe you are not allowed to take any non-pre-packaged food off at any port. I believe it is supposed to be checked by customs which is why it's not allowed. Pre-packaged food though is okay which I did at several Caribbean ports. Mainly cereal.

It doesn't matter what the worst thing that could happen is. It's a violation not only of Carnival rules but US law.

I tend to pick and choose rules I want to follow and not bringing food off the ship is a rule I do follow.

I never buy food in ports. I eat before I leave and pack a few boxes of cereal if I get the munchies. When I get back on board I order room service and pour myself a drink from the booze I smuggled onto the ship.

I tend to pick and choose rules I want to follow and not bringing food off the ship is a rule I do follow.

I never buy food in ports. I eat before I leave and pack a few boxes of cereal if I get the munchies. When I get back on board I order room service and pour myself a drink from the booze I smuggled onto the ship.

Really? I follow the rules when I am on the ship. Their ship their rules.

Last April my son(he is 9) was stopped getting off in Port Canaveral because he was carrying a banana. It was no big deal, they told him to either step to the side and eat it before disembarking or put it in the trash. They are really strict about packaged foods only.

WOW...well - at least your honest about it! ;)