Food question?

johnsose2

I tend to pick and choose rules I want to follow and not bringing food off the ship is a rule I do follow.

I never buy food in ports. I eat before I leave and pack a few boxes of cereal if I get the munchies. When I get back on board I order room service and pour myself a drink from the booze I smuggled onto the ship.

Really? I follow the rules when I am on the ship. Their ship their rules.

Some rules are meant to be broken. I'll always be a *bit of a rebel-Keeps me young:)

Here's one of the dogs, he was on the pier at Progresso When someone with food walked by he just walked near them and sat. The officer took the food from them, not sure what happened after that.

IMG_1787-M.jpg

Here's the sign by the door as you leave the ship:

IMG_1812_2-M.jpg

So, the answer is... no, you can't take food off the ship.

So much in terms of different food loaded with microscopic things, maybe several produce and meat ports allowed and lots of people try as we might, we contaminate and bring things country to country, state to state..area to area in a state...I really understand the food and flower thing and the rules..once on it stays on; and is used and then tossed properly..helps needs for as many insecticides and mega ag problems.

Yes I see saving the bucks when you have paid for the full deal cruise and love the idea of bringing some sealed packaged items for that day, granola bars, peanut butter and cheese filled crackers, jerkey, candy bar, dehydrated fruit in sealed packs( love bananas and apples)..each person who could; could maybe in charge of packing their junk food lunch..and bringing one item to share to make it fun....and maybe a legal cooler you pack and get a coke and water per person at a easy store on the way..then just have water fountains...also helps for each person to have a water bottle or portable mug or drink cup..HAVE fun..enjoy 100 to 150 saved for something else!!!

Edited by sjn911

The real reason they dont want you to bring "Non-Packaged" foods or vegetables/fruits is because they might have bugs in them which are not native to the port that you are going to, which could create a big problem for other fruits/vegetables or insects. So for all our sakes, it is good to stick to the rules on this one. SInce the ship is going port to port (Even though it might have started at a US, the bug(s) could have been living somewhere on the ship for sometime before making it onto food going off the ship. (I know that sounds disgusting, but it is just an example):)

The real reason they dont want you to bring "Non-Packaged" foods or vegetables/fruits is because they might have bugs in them which are not native to the port that you are going to, which could create a big problem for other fruits/vegetables or insects. So for all our sakes, it is good to stick to the rules on this one. SInce the ship is going port to port (Even though it might have started at a US, the bug(s) could have been living somewhere on the ship for sometime before making it onto food going off the ship. (I know that sounds disgusting, but it is just an example):)

I don't recall the specifics of this news item, but very recently a family was forced out of their home because of a poisonous spider hatching. The spider came in some fruit, eggs hatched, home had to be fumigated.

So, yes, unwelcome guests can arrive on fruit.

We've seen beagles sniffing the bags as you left the baggage pickup area. Happened twice, in Tampa and/or Miami.

The last time we debarked in San Juan, they had beagles sniffing our bags when we were waiting to go through customs! I heard later that they were sniffing for fruit and food items! :confused:

Edited by hancogran

I tend to pick and choose rules I want to follow and not bringing food off the ship is a rule I do follow.

I never buy food in ports. I eat before I leave and pack a few boxes of cereal if I get the munchies. When I get back on board I order room service and pour myself a drink from the booze I smuggled onto the ship.

You are missing out.

I'm curious as why you wouldn't want to try the local food?

You are missing out.

I'm curious as why you wouldn't want to try the local food?

The main reason is that I'm cheap. I think if I get to the point that I'm cruising mainly for the ports, I'll start trying local food. For now I've been happy eating what the cruise ship provides.

Before boarding the Tender on our way into Belize this past may, there was an inspector on deck 0 checking everyone's bags to make sure no one was bringing fruit. It was not a carnival employee, and they warned us about that when we picked up our tender sticker. That's the only time I have seen anyone check the bags like that.

The main reason is that I'm cheap. I think if I get to the point that I'm cruising mainly for the ports, I'll start trying local food. For now I've been happy eating what the cruise ship provides.

I think local food is pretty economical depending on where you go. If you are visiting all these beautiful ports, don't you ever think about trying the food?

If I ever get to the Caribbean, I am so looking forward to eating some jerk chicken at a little shack on the beach with a rum drink in my hand.:D

In the Bahamas, we tried the Conch Fritters and it was very cheap, you got like seven pieces for $2 bucks. They were yummy.

Enjoy!