Sea of Cortez

dontworry

We've done it twice, and wanted to do it again this year, but alas, that is not to be. Had to cancel our booking.

I did a couple of reports on here, will try to find them for you.

It is a beautiful area, and many of the ports are very non-touristy. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

edit: here's one

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1362889&highlight=cortez

Edited by CowPrincess

Did this on the Crystal Symphony so we hit a few different ports but loved it and would easily do it again. Agree, very low key and non-touristy. Losing the Mexican Riviera and the Sea of Cortez as regular routes was for us a big loss. Though we are heading back finally on a special Veendam holiday cruise. Hope the safety of these areas improves to make these more regular trips again.

Loved Loreto. Welcoming, great history, shopping and food. The scenery will dazzle in its austerity and there is little of glamour or activities, but there is a deep quiet, clear skies and stunning sunsets as well as an intimacy with the desert landscape that is like no other.

Reading ahead about pirates, the missions and the native populations really helped expand this cruise experience once we were there. Sometimes it is nice to visit places just because they are there, not because they are there for tourists. Sea of Cortez does this.

Edited by OlsSalt

Totally LOVED the Sea of Cortez, and I highly recommend it! Loreto was our favorite port - very non-touristy, picturesque. I could just sit and watch the pelicans for hours. Take the walking tour there - very interesting. We were thrilled to see this back on the list at last. Hope to be able to book it again soon!

Guaymas is very welcoming. I hope they have the displays of clothing out on the street by the town (??) hall, it was delightful. Loreto, La Paz, Guaymas -- all very special places and I hope you are touched by them as we were. AND overnight in PV -- how cool is that?

Really wish we'd been able to make final payment. Sigh.... but HAL is running it again next year.

We were on the Ryndam Sea of Cortez cruise several years ago, and enjoyed it very much. Very interesting ports, and as others have said, not your usual tourist spots. The Copper Canyon train ride was a highlight... it's a long day, but well worth it.

Edited by RJ2002

Our first HAL cruise was to the Sea of Cortez, and we have been back 2 more times. I found the village of Loreto enchanting, and chose it as my Cruise Critic name.

I also remember spectacular sunsets and beautiful clear water. Our first cruise went all the way up to Santa Rosalia. We have also taken the Copper Canyon tour...take it for the train ride and sit on the right side, a fantastic journey!

Lucky you to be going there!:)

Karen

Sea of Cortez is a great itinerary. We have done this one several times on HAL. Especially like Loreto and Guaymas - I always say they are like Mexico as it used to be - small, friendly, older and fun to walk around. I am glad HAL is beginning to offer it again. Hope to do it next year.

I just wish HAL had more Sea of Cortez sailings!

There is a petition I will be happy to sign. I'll spread the word on our upcoming Veendam Mexican Riviera every time I see the captain that we like this part of the world and want to come back.