P&O AzuraTipping

jerseybetsie

In the past 2 years, a family member has worked for 2 different cruise lines; one a much better employer than the other. One cruise line did not 'pay' its wait staff. Instead the wait staff were paid via the daily rates from passengers on board; if numbers were low, wages were low; if numbers were busy/high, wages were higher. Also, that same cruise line 'owned' your every thought, i.e. any idea that you suggested to improve customer service no longer belonged to you the minute you verbalised that idea, regardless of whether the cruise line thought it was viable - true!! This was not heresay - it was in the contract that I have seen myself.

The other cruise line pays a set salary to wait staff regardless of the number of passengers on board. All crew members have union representation to monitor employment conditions.

In respect of tips, neither cruise line confiscated tips; tips belong to the recipient. End of.

Agree.

The only exception is if the passenger has left the auto tip on and given a little extra. They can keep the extra.

Gan Canny

Dai

Spot on Dai.

I have no problem with paying the £3.50 per diem if the service is to my expectations, it is half what most of the other Lines, e.g. Princess charge. If the service is not to my expectations I will 'adjust' the Automatic Wage Subsidy, for that is what it is.

Re pax AWOL from MDR on last night or two, I was on Arcadia WC last year, Sydney to Southampton sector anyway, most on board had done the whole WC, 100 odd days, I can tell you now there were many empty seats at dinner in the MDR on last couple of nights. No doubt dodging their waiters who had faithfully served them for over 3 months. The waiters were not happy, mine were not, 4 missing from our table.

Edited by NSWP

I think it's a shame they have to declare any extra. I leave the tips paid, but if the cabin steward or waiters, or both, have given really good service then I give some extra cash. And I intend that for them personally, not for the general pot!

I think it's a shame they have to declare any extra. I leave the tips paid, but if the cabin steward or waiters, or both, have given really good service then I give some extra cash. And I intend that for them personally, not for the general pot!

Clodia,

They do not have to declare anything over the minimum. They keep any extra you give.

Sorry, but I asked the question on board and got the answer. My steward told me that whatever I give him/her is theirs to keep, nothing to do with whether I remove tips or not.

Yes but you can get 5 different answers from 5 different stewards.

It is simple, leave the tips on and if you feel you would like to give a bit extra.

BTW the staff are told not to discuss tips with customers.