Smoking Policy (More...)

ZZ Mom

I agree 100% and thinking smoking should be outlawed.

That said, there are no stripes showing, just a response regarding government. Many other examples could be sited. My last comment, i won't get into a political (or any other kind) of hassle.

There are a lot of things and behaviours that should be outlawed but I won't go into that here:cool:

As far as I can see, it's only the US that needs to catch up. We've never been able to buy ciggies in pharmacies here (they're also now behind a shutter) and I can't recall buying them in pharmacies in any other countries either. It's generally a supermarket or 7/11.

I agree.

U.S. has been slow in catching up in this regard.

I found it noteworthy the towns/cities in my area are finally creating that policy.

It is worth noting that many of our pharmacies are located in stores that carry a wide range of merchandise and pharmacy is only a section of the store. I am aware there are many of that style pharmacy/combination style store in Canada, as well.

Edited by sail7seas

Unless someone passes a law putting nicotine on the same par as marijuana or heroin -- they are still legal. Not a smoker, just stating the facts, ma'am.

:cool:

Nicotine is reported to be a far more powerful drug than either Marijuana or Heroin which is the reason so many people don't have the ability to give it up.

Smoking is heavily regulated in public places in Australia and it is only a matter of time before smoking in public will be illegal. I don't think it will ever be outlawed completely because the Gov makes too much money from the addicts. In Australia a pack is now over $20 with most being tax. I find it amazing that even with all the education on the side effects of the drug that young people still take it up.

Nicotine is reported to be a far more powerful drug than either Marijuana or Heroin which is the reason so many people don't have the ability to give it up.

Smoking is heavily regulated in public places in Australia and it is only a matter of time before smoking in public will be illegal. I don't think it will ever be outlawed completely because the Gov makes too much money from the addicts. In Australia a pack is now over $20 with most being tax. I find it amazing that even with all the education on the side effects of the drug that young people still take it up.

What I find more amazing and totally illogical is that HAL still permits smoking on all balconies, the AFT pool, the Observation deck and the Promenade deck. Before my 12/1/13 cruise I read the smoking policy on the HAL website. It stated that smoking was permitted on designated outside decks and then listed the Observation Deck and the Aft pool. I called HAL twice to verify that smoking was no longer permitted on the Promenade Deck. You can imagine my surprise when I saw ash trays placed all around the Promenade Deck. I consulted with Guest services three times, mentioning their published smoking policy and my assurances from the HAL reps before sailing, but they insisted that they were in compliance with HAL policy.

Smoking and second- hand smoke are a universally accepted health risk to all, more so to those with allergies, breathing disorders and children. How illogical is it that HAL pretends to be concerned about guest well-being and safety with so many ship policies: hand sanitizing, gluten and lactose- free menus etc., yet permits smoking on all balconies, the open decks mentioned allowing those who continue this filthy habit to pollute and invade the air of everyone near them.

Is it fair that your own balcony, the Promenade Deck, and the Aft pool be polluted and rendered a health risk for all? Thus, you the paying health- contious guest are denied the use of your balcony if a smoker is in a near by balcony, the use of the beautiful Promenade Deck, and the Aft pool area.

Smoking is not like other drugs that people inject, snort, or eat - self destructive.

Smoking invades the air and space of those who are near-by.

The sail-away party in the Aft pool area allowed passengers to smoke everywhere as the portable ash trays on the railings are moved at will to wherever the smoker wants them. The same is true on the Promenade deck.

Smoking is now prohibited in all public buildings, parks, and even

University campuses like UCSD where I live. Some employers require prospective employees to take a blood test to prove that they are nicotine free.

Princess, Celebrity, and now RCI have implemented very strict smoking policies.

Smoking is not a matter of preference. It is an unhealthy habit that

invades and pollutes the air of all those around it.

It makes NO sense for HAL, to continue with an antiquated and harmful policy that

causes discomfort and threatens the health and well-being of its passengers.

I love cruising on HAL and am hopeful that they will soon do the right thing to protect the well-being of all guests with a more restrictive smoking policy.

Edited by luv4cruises
Wanted to include a title.

I love cruising on HAL and am hopeful that they will soon do the right thing to protect the well-being of all guests with a more restrictive smoking policy.

Now that you've mentioned several places where you don't want smoking allowed, would you please post where you do want the smoking areas to be?

What I find more amazing and totally illogical is that HAL still permits smoking on all balconies, the AFT pool, the Observation deck and the Promenade deck. Before my 12/1/13 cruise I read the smoking policy on the HAL website. It stated that smoking was permitted on designated outside decks and then listed the Observation Deck and the Aft pool. I called HAL twice to verify that smoking was no longer permitted on the Promenade Deck. You can imagine my surprise when I saw ash trays placed all around the Promenade Deck. I consulted with Guest services three times, mentioning their published smoking policy and my assurances from the HAL reps before sailing, but they insisted that they were in compliance with HAL policy.

Smoking and second- hand smoke are a universally accepted health risk to all, more so to those with allergies, breathing disorders and children. How illogical is it that HAL pretends to be concerned about guest well-being and safety with so many ship policies: hand sanitizing, gluten and lactose- free menus etc., yet permits smoking on all balconies, the open decks mentioned allowing those who continue this filthy habit to pollute and invade the air of everyone near them.

Is it fair that your own balcony, the Promenade Deck, and the Aft pool be polluted and rendered a health risk for all? Thus, you the paying health- contious guest are denied the use of your balcony if a smoker is in a near by balcony, the use of the beautiful Promenade Deck, and the Aft pool area.

Smoking is not like other drugs that people inject, snort, or eat - self destructive.

The sail-away party in the Aft pool area allowed passengers to smoke everywhere as the portable ash trays on the railings are moved at will to wherever the smoker wants them. The same is true on the Promenade deck.

University campuses like UCSD where I live. Some employers require prospective employees to take a blood test to prove that they are nicotine free.

It makes NO sense for HAL, to continue with an antiquated and harmful policy that

Bravo! Well said - I hope you send a letter to Seattle!

Yes you are correct. The government makes quite a bit on tobacco products and therefore it will not become illegal.

I used to be a smoker. I am now almost 8 months smoke free. The smell of cigarette smoke does not bother me as much as others are bothered. Perhaps its because I KNOW how addictive it is.

Excellent post!!!

HAL hangs on to their very liberal smoking policy, because their target demographics are old people. When you step on a HAL ship, it is like walking through a time-vortex and ending up in the previous century. Most of HAL traditionalists did not grow up within a culture where it has become universally accepted that smoking "is an unhealthy (and I would add -- anti-social) habit that invades and pollutes the air of all those around it".

You are then presented with a misguided argument that when in Rome... The smoking policy will change when the next, more modern generation becomes dominant on HAL. The anti-smoking trend is unstoppable.

what i find more amazing and totally illogical is that hal still permits smoking on all balconies, the aft pool, the observation deck and the promenade deck. Before my 12/1/13 cruise i read the smoking policy on the hal website. It stated that smoking was permitted on designated outside decks and then listed the observation deck and the aft pool. I called hal twice to verify that smoking was no longer permitted on the promenade deck. You can imagine my surprise when i saw ash trays placed all around the promenade deck. I consulted with guest services three times, mentioning their published smoking policy and my assurances from the hal reps before sailing, but they insisted that they were in compliance with hal policy.

Smoking and second- hand smoke are a universally accepted health risk to all, more so to those with allergies, breathing disorders and children. How illogical is it that hal pretends to be concerned about guest well-being and safety with so many ship policies: Hand sanitizing, gluten and lactose- free menus etc., yet permits smoking on all balconies, the open decks mentioned allowing those who continue this filthy habit to pollute and invade the air of everyone near them.

Is it fair that your own balcony, the promenade deck, and the aft pool be polluted and rendered a health risk for all? Thus, you the paying health- contious guest are denied the use of your balcony if a smoker is in a near by balcony, the use of the beautiful promenade deck, and the aft pool area.

The sail-away party in the aft pool area allowed passengers to smoke everywhere as the portable ash trays on the railings are moved at will to wherever the smoker wants them. The same is true on the promenade deck.

university campuses like ucsd where i live. Some employers require prospective employees to take a blood test to prove that they are nicotine free.

Princess, celebrity, and now rci have implemented very strict smoking policies.

It makes no sense for hal, to continue with an antiquated and harmful policy that

I love cruising on hal and am hopeful that they will soon do the right thing to protect the well-being of all guests with a more restrictive smoking policy.

amen!

Excellent post!!!

HAL hangs on to their very liberal smoking policy, because their target demographics are old people. When you step on a HAL ship, it is like walking through a time-vortex and ending up in the previous century. Most of HAL traditionalists did not grow up within a culture where it has become universally accepted that smoking "is an unhealthy (and I would add -- anti-social) habit that invades and pollutes the air of all those around it".

You are then presented with a misguided argument that when in Rome... The smoking policy will change when the next, more modern generation becomes dominant on HAL. The anti-smoking trend is unstoppable.

Please don't lug all of us over 60 year olds into the same sack.

MANY of us who grew up around rampant smoking cannot stand to smell second hand smoke now. It is never good to generalize and put a whole demographic into the same neat little box. :D

Please don't lug all of us over 60 year olds into the same sack.

MANY of us who grew up around rampant smoking cannot stand to smell second hand smoke now. It is never good to generalize and put a whole demographic into the same neat little box. :D

I agree.

However, when it comes to policy, one MUST generalize, because one policy must apply to all. You can't have one policy for smokers and another, a contradictory one, for those who hate or cannot stand the smell of second-hand smoke.

When I spoke in generalities in my previous post, it wasn't me who was generalizing, but HAL.

I agree.

However, when it comes to policy, one MUST generalize, because one policy must apply to all. You can't have one policy for smokers and another, a contradictory one, for those who hate or cannot stand the smell of second-hand smoke.

When I spoke in generalities in my previous post, it wasn't me who was generalizing, but HAL.

Your generalization fails because the latest figures are 20% or less of adult Canadians/Americans smoke. When the huge majority of a group do not participate in an activity, it has to be recognized and reported.

My observations on a great many HAL cruises is that of those I see smoking on deck, it is by far not only seniors. There are way too many mid lifers and even 'young uns' who most assuredly should know better who are sitting at the ashtray side of aft pool.

Could you please cite the reference where you determined that Nicotine is a far more powerful drug than Heroin.

Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

It was quite a while ago that I saw that and from memory I think it was part of an anti smoking campaign.

I tried to find a reference to it on line but the latest scientific study I could find has heroin listed as number one with a score of 2.89 out of 3 while Nicotine comes in second with the same score as Crack Cocaine at 2.82 out of 3.

http://www.thefix.com/content/10-hardest-addictive-drugs-to-kick7055#slide0

There is also some good information on the drug here.

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/linksaaddiction.html

Scary to think that nicotine is three times as poisonous as Arsenic.

There are 50 million people in America that smoke and smoking kills one in five Americans. If you do the math you can see that if you smoke it will kill you yet I am sure that not one person that reads this will give it up. That is how powerful the drug is.

On a cheerier note we have booked a 2 week Alaskan cruise with Celebrity for this year, if HAL had the same smoking policy as them then they would have our money.

Edited by Aussiepair

Could you please cite the reference where you determined that Nicotine is a far more powerful drug than Heroin.

Thanks a lot.

Scott & Karen

Many years ago, when I was on my umpteeth attempt to quit smoking, which that time included group support - we were told that several times by the GP who lead the group. My attempt was unsuccessful that time, as was the acupunture sessions that followed. Eventually - and thankfully - I quit a 3 pack a day habit with the nicotine patch... and then had to quit the patch.:o So I do know how very hard it is to quit smoking and I tend to believe it is as bad as trying to quit any hard drug.

Merry Christmas!

If protecting one's health isn't reason enough to quit smoking, just the price should/could persuade some smokers it's time to stop buying cigarettes. The price is so high I wonder how some people who smoke can afford it. :eek:

If protecting one's health isn't reason enough to quit smoking, just the price should/could persuade some smokers it's time to stop buying cigarettes. The price is so high I wonder how some people who smoke can afford it. :eek:

Smoking is an addiction. I would guess most would quit for the reasons you stated if they could. The same goes for an alcoholic---I would guess most would not drink if they were able to stop. The same goes for overeaters. These are serious addictions---it's not that easy to just decide to stop. I was a smoker---so I know first hand what it's like!

I would think employers and universities have got a LOT more to worry about than nicotine, especially as many smoke themselves.

You have choices other than HAL, far more so than smokers have, so why not choose according to your preferences. That is what most of us do.

Would you prefer to see smoking permitted in staterooms once more? Or ban smokers from all HAL ships? As the current rules stand there are very few places for smokers and you seem to want the little they have. It is easy enough for you to avoid smokers unless , of course, that is still not sufficient for you?

Purchasing cigarettes is one of the last products to be affected by a rise in price. Very few people quit because of the cost of smoking.

luv4cruises- HAL only has one mission- to make a profit and thereby increase their stock price. The health and welfare of its passengers is of no concern to any for-profit company. If that can be done better by appealing to smokers while other cruise lines more and more prohibit smoking on their ships then that is what HAL will do.

Edited by peaches from georgia

Smoking is an addiction. I would guess most would quit for the reasons you stated if they could. The same goes for an alcoholic---I would guess most would not drink if they were able to stop. The same goes for overeaters. These are serious addictions---it's not that easy to just decide to stop. I was a smoker---so I know first hand what it's like!

Thank you.

I think most of us understand that. :)

I

<snip>

Would you prefer to see smoking permitted in staterooms once more? Or ban smokers from all HAL ships? As the current rules stand there are very few places for smokers and you seem to want the little they have. It is easy enough for you to avoid smokers unless , of course, that is still not sufficient for you?

Actually, yes. I would rather smoking was permitted in cabins but NOT on verandahs. If a smoker stinks up our cabin, it can be deep cleaned and the soft goods changed to get rid of the stench.

We cannot do anything about a smoker poluting the air we are breathing and forcing us off our verandah.

We have lost use of it because of smokers and please do not recommend we go to another cruise line. It is cavalier and dismissive. We have cruised HAL over 80 cruises and that is our cruise line of choice.

We will continue to encourage HAL to ban verandah smoking. It has been a vocal majority that accomplished the smoking restrictions that now exist and it likely will be the 80+% of non smokers that will get rid of this last area that is so disturbing to neighbors.

I don't wish to ban smoking entirely on the ships but I do want to ban it in areas that cannot be avoided by those who don't want to smell it. I'm fine with one side of aft pool being smoking. I'm fine with a portion of Promendade (though I don't really like it) and I encourage one interior space that can be avoided by anyone who doesn't want to be exposed.

[/b]

As HAL increasingly becomes known as the Smokers Cruise Line, they will rapidly lose that "Signature of Excellence" reputation (which is eroding as we speak). In the end they will lose out, as the smokers die out. Sorry to be so harsh, but I do think it's true. HAL's reputation is already slipping. And this is NOT intended as a swipe at smokers.... I do think that the ships should accommodate smokers too, and provide a pleasant inside ventilated space for them - and leave the balconies smoke free. I have no problem with the smoking area at the aft Lido, either. I know it's there, I can avoid it.

As HAL increasingly becomes known as the Smokers Cruise Line, they will rapidly lose that "Signature of Excellence" reputation (which is eroding as we speak). In the end they will lose out, as the smokers die out. Sorry to be so harsh, but I do think it's true. HAL's reputation is already slipping. And this is NOT intended as a swipe at smokers.... I do think that the ships should accommodate smokers too, and provide a pleasant inside ventilated space for them - and leave the balconies smoke free. I have no problem with the smoking area at the aft Lido, either. I know it's there, I can avoid it.

Amen, I could not agree more. Second hand smoke is a health hazard as well as being a disgusting stench. There is no reason that anyone should have to sacrifice enjoying their balcony because of smokers. We have enjoyed our HAL cruises but we won't sail them again until smoking on balconies is banned. This is 2013, not 1950.

Actually, yes. I would rather smoking was permitted in cabins but NOT on verandahs. If a smoker stinks up our cabin, it can be deep cleaned and the soft goods changed to get rid of the stench.

We cannot do anything about a smoker poluting the air we are breathing and forcing us off our verandah.

We have lost use of it because of smokers and please do not recommend we go to another cruise line. It is cavalier and dismissive. We have cruised HAL over 80 cruises and that is our cruise line of choice.

We will continue to encourage HAL to ban verandah smoking. It has been a vocal majority that accomplished the smoking restrictions that now exist and it likely will be the 80+% of non smokers that will get rid of this last area that is so disturbing to neighbors.

I don't wish to ban smoking entirely on the ships but I do want to ban it in areas that cannot be avoided by those who don't want to smell it. I'm fine with one side of aft pool being smoking. I'm fine with a portion of Promendade (though I don't really like it) and I encourage one interior space that can be avoided by anyone who doesn't want to be exposed.

[/b]

I am not going to argue re smoking vs non smoking.

What I am going to say though is in response to any and all, smokers and non smokers alike.

I do not want smoking in the staterooms at all because now that it is banned, you can definitely smell a cigarette smokers room from the hallways, when they are smoking in the stateroom!! And believe me, I smelled it several cabins away from it while delivering M&G Invitations to LAFFINVEGAS on our Alaska cruise last year. I knew she and Tom did not smoke and yet the smoke was extremely strong from near her room.

I also do not want smoking allowed in the staterooms due to what a CC member and her hubby had to suffer for 21 days after I left the stateroom in Sept 2011. Even with Deep Cleaning (several times, if I remember her email to me correctly), removal of soft goods etc, she stated that the stench was embedded possibly absorbed by not only the shower curtain, which was her guess, my guess is that plus the bed itself (mattress, box springs, couch (sofa bedding) and more........

All I am saying is that more non smokers would be affected worse if smoking was once more allowed in staterooms than they are/might be on a verandah.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie