Formal Night on Alaskan Cruises

PROCRUISE

We'll be on the Oosterdam for the cruise part of our Alaskan land/sea trip with HAL starting on 6/9/14. Naturally, we'll have to take lots of clothing for this 14 day trip which causes me to ask the following question:

On Alaska cruises with HAL what do most men wear on formal nights. On our three previous cruises with HAL I've hauled along my tuxedo but was wondering if I even dare ask whether just dress slacks, a white dress shirt and tie would be acceptable on this cruise. Just wondering, from those who have already gone to Alaska, what they found most men wearing on this dress up night and would I be turned away from the MRD if I showed up without at least a sports coat. Just wondering. :)

HAL's website will tell you that at minimum for formal night men should wear a sport coat and tie. For our Alaska cruise my DH wore his tux. Most men will have a dark suit on, although many will have the minimum of a sport coat and tie. HAL ships seem to vary on formal night dress enforcement. Some gentlemen are turned away from the MDR for not having a coat/tie. I have heard others say they had no problem getting in. You will get many different answers here on CC. Stay tuned.

Edited by Linda&Vern

I have done a lot of Alaska cruises. Minimum expected for men is a sports jacket and tie. Anything less is insulting to the rest of the passengers. I have never sat with anyone dressed without a jacket and tie. Think it depends on the ship as to who will be turned away by not following the dress code.

We sailed Oosterdam in Alaska after the time when DH stopped bringing along his tuxedo. He wore a dark suit, we dined with Officers and he was dressed just fine. He had his handsome suit, french cuff shirts, smart ties and more than adequately met HAL's definition of 'formal'. If you wish to bring your tuxedo, that is perfect. If you don't wish to, you will have lots of company in gentlemen well dressed but not wearing tuxedo.

We Loved our Oosterdam Alaska cruise. Hope you do as well. :)

We sailed Oosterdam in Alaska after the time when DH stopped bringing along his tuxedo. He wore a dark suit, we dined with Officers and he was dressed just fine. He had his handsome suit, french cuff shirts, smart ties and more than adequately met HAL's definition of 'formal'. If you wish to bring your tuxedo, that is perfect. If you don't wish to, you will have lots of company in gentlemen well dressed but not wearing tuxedo.

We Loved our Oosterdam Alaska cruise. Hope you do as well. :)

Thanks for the info... guess I'll pack the tuxedo again. :)

Edited by PROCRUISE