Buying Tanzanite jewerly

Ladysilver

The stores that the "shopping guides" :rolleyes: direct you to pay fees and kickbacks in order to be recommended. Your "shopping guide" may be wearing a nametag with the cruise line's name/logo on it, but in fact they work for an outside company. They are not necessarily going to direct you to the best stores, just the ones that pay to be advertised and recommended. Ever wonder why in the ship-sponsored stores they always want to know which ship you are cruising on? They are not just making conversation, they need to know who gets the kickback should you make a purchase.

The stores that the "shopping guides" :rolleyes: direct you to pay fees and kickbacks in order to be recommended. Your "shopping guide" may be wearing a nametag with the cruise line's name/logo on it, but in fact they work for an outside company. They are not necessarily going to direct you to the best stores, just the ones that pay to be advertised and recommended. Ever wonder why in the ship-sponsored stores they always want to know which ship you are cruising on? They are not just making conversation, they need to know who gets the kickback should you make a purchase.

That is true. But some folks choose not to believe it.

What an ignorant statement..........:rolleyes:

But many ignorant cruisers who do not know a good deal, including us, who do little research on what we/they might/intend to buy. So then it is a crap shoot of getting a deal.

PS I have a lot more cruises(i just do not display them) than you do, and have been there and seen and done shopping for many things with mixed results due to our IGNORANCE, and found basically the same things cheaper at local jewelry stores, who we can trust, not to say RC or any cruise line cannot be trusted.

PSS the first poster that disagree with me did a very good job of saying exactly what I just posted.

If you want jewelry, you would be much better off to buy Jewelry or stones from anyone one of several internet jewelers. Much better prices. If you want to shop, you can use your savings to buy some t-shirts.

ebay is a good place to buy from and if you check the approval rating of the seller and see 100% or close to it esp if they have a lot of sales and they take Paypal you can find some really good deals. might have a little customs to pay once in a while. I have found several really good dealers on ebay and I have the item appraised by a jeweller back home to ensure the quality and price.

PayPay will give guarantees on purchases. I have bought many very nice pieces for a lot less than wholesale to the trade and the Jeweller licking their lips to buy what I have purchased. ( most of the items are in sterling silver/ some 14 carat, which is what I tend to stick with).

But as a previous Poster said you should do some Homework first.

Edited by Folk Singer

Depending on the cost...the idea of buying jewelry without being able to see it in person (and in more detail) seems quite risky and prone to all sorts of issues.

Online purchases might be OK for nominal cost jewelry items...but probably not a good option for anything with a medium to higher price tag.

You are most welcome.

One other tip....this site has some good insights into Tanzanite - quality, things to look for, and how they affect price:

http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite_buying_guide.asp

i have a box full of tanzanite that my ex gave me. I thought it wasn't worth much and now i think i may be sitting on rather a lot of cash ....time to pop down the jewellers i think :cool:

We'd have to disagree based on firsthand experience.

There are plenty of deals in various ports - but most shoppers we've observed simply don't know enough about Tanzanite (quality and pricing) themselves and rely on sales people guiding them. That's not a good approach in most cases.

Jewelry with Tanzanite is often inflated in retail pricing, so promoted "60% off sales" are actually misleading.

But to the original post - few deals are found on ships in comparison to what you can find in port. Even then...you have to know (ahead of time) what is a good price and what is good quality when it comes to Tanzanite.

You could well substitute "anything" for tanzanite, and anywhere for port.

DW saw some jewelry in a store several miles from Santiago on a trip, later (years) after learning more about it a tour we were on stopped at the same store. She finally got the items and price she wanted, but it took an hour of bargaining and she is a native Spanish speaker.

Another time in Cozumel she had about given up finding a store that would bargain at all, but after lunch while shopping on a small street away from most of the tourists, she found a gold cross and chain for our grandson's baptisem.

We'd have to disagree based on firsthand experience.

There are plenty of deals in various ports - but most shoppers we've observed simply don't know enough about Tanzanite (quality and pricing) themselves and rely on sales people guiding them. That's not a good approach in most cases.

Jewelry with Tanzanite is often inflated in retail pricing, so promoted "60% off sales" are actually misleading.

But to the original post - few deals are found on ships in comparison to what you can find in port. Even then...you have to know (ahead of time) what is a good price and what is good quality when it comes to Tanzanite.

You could well substitute "anything" for tanzanite, and anywhere for port.

DW saw some jewelry in a store several miles from Santiago on a trip, later (years) after learning more about it a tour we were on stopped at the same store. She finally got the items and price she wanted, but it took an hour of bargaining and she is a native Spanish speaker.

Another time in Cozumel she had about given up finding a store that would bargain at all, but after lunch while shopping on a small street away from most of the tourists, she found a gold cross and chain for our grandson's baptisem.

The Wife attended the briefing on shopping in the ship theater. Obtained a copy of map to recommended stores. Walked off ship and told the driver of the two person go cart cab that she wanted to go to the Golden Triangle.

Found the shop she wanted and the dealing started. Finally she settled on a nice stone in a setting she liked.

The helpful shop person told her he was going to clean the finger prints off the stone and box it up for her. He went into the back and came out with a small folding top box. Showed her the ring and wrapped it up for her.

Back on the ship The Wife took the ring out of the box and found a crack across the face of the ring.:mad:

We had an hour and half until departure. So off the ship we went, caught a cab, and walked back into the shop.

Ask them if they remembered us. The look on their face said it all. They expected us to be back home before we found the switch. The wife held up the warranty paper and said, guess what? I am here to get this broken stone replaced.

Stone was replaced and back to the ship we went.

I made a comment on what happened on the comment card. Probably got filed in the round file.

Now, if you want to see fire in her eyes and smoke come out of her ears, ask the wife what she thinks about ship recommended shops.

Bob

A friend of mine is an independent appraiser who sees a LOT of Caribbean jewelry. She says the vast majority of items she appraises come out WELL below what people paid for them. The problem is that you got what is described on the receipt, you just paid too much for it....and there isn't a single thing you can do about it!

There is no fraud, so you can't contest the CC charge and the stores count on you being long gone to do anything about it.

Buy a bobble on vacation, but make your big purchases at home....so if there IS a problem, you can go back and get it resolved.

Tanzanite/diamonds and the like are very subjective in price. Unless you KNOW your gems, don't buy one anywhere but home!!!

Buyer beware!

That hasn't been our experience at all, nor anyone we have cruised with.

Yes...there are the Diamonds International and other such "chains" with stores in almost every port It is possible to negotiate good prices even there if you're well educated on the specific jewelry ahead of time)....but if you ask the concierge...they'll point you in the right direction.

As a point of reference, I have done 76 cruises, and my experience is that the cruise line's shopping expert only recommends stores that give a kickback. And it's not only the big chain stores, but they also get kickbacks from the smaller stores. I will never go by what those on board hucksters have to say. Why do you think they ask what ship you're on when you purchase anything? It's so they can total up how much the passengers on the ship spend.

Can you bargain? Sure, but believe me, bargains are nowhere near what they used to be 10 years or more ago. And I honestly believe the quality of the jewelry has generally gone down.

Here's a few tips on Tanzanite. Never purchase stones that are light purple in color. Those are generally inferior stones. High quality tanzanite is a deep blue-purple. According to the Gemological Institute, top quality stones, what they call "investment grade" are not cheap. What they sell on the islands are usually B grade stones that can be had very cheaply (stones are graded as investment, AAA, AA, A and B). If you purchase any stone, ask to use a loop to look for feathering or needling inclusions which can cause a stone to break. Finally, buy something because you like it, not because you think you're getting a great deal. While some may get a bargain, many more find out that their bargain wasn't that much.

The stuff the ship sells will be real. The store that they recommend ashore will also have the real thing. That being said do shop around. I don't mean little back alley shops. There will undoubtably be many fine shops to choose from and they are easy to spot. Expensive displays in the windows, their own onsite security, well dressed and well spoken sales staff who are very knowledgable about their products and they won't be running out on the street to get you into their store. Some will budge on the listed prices but many won't. Another sign of a higher quality store. You are going to pay more then at "Pedros" around the corner but you will be shopping with confidence in your purchase. My DW has made many jewlery purchases around the world and been happy with all. The only question she ever seriously asks is when it comes to diamonds. Before she will buy the store has to prove to her in writing where they originated from. No blood diamonds in her collection, in fact her preference is Canadian Ice.

A friend of mine is an independent appraiser who sees a LOT of Caribbean jewelry. She says the vast majority of items she appraises come out WELL below what people paid for them. The problem is that you got what is described on the receipt, you just paid too much for it....and there isn't a single thing you can do about it!

There is no fraud, so you can't contest the CC charge and the stores count on you being long gone to do anything about it.

Buy a bobble on vacation, but make your big purchases at home....so if there IS a problem, you can go back and get it resolved.

Tanzanite/diamonds and the like are very subjective in price. Unless you KNOW your gems, don't buy one anywhere but home!!!

Buyer beware!

good advise.

We do it the easy way. We live in Tucson and the first 10 days of February are the Tucson Gem and Mineral Showcase with literally hundreds of dealers of gems and minerals. There are usually about 50-80 dealers with true Tanzanite and because of my business we usually get it wholesale. Find a proper mount at another dealer and voila, a ring, brooch, or earrings for a price near wholesale (about 20-25% of normal retail in the Caribbean.)

<Just Bragging>

I've come to the realization that 'real' stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. I don't like the 'blood diamonds' nor any of the political/economic implications of some jewelry.....SOO I have opted to buy moissanite and other man-made stones!!

They are perfect clear....conflict free.....relatively inexpensive and readily available! I just purchased some VERY nice trillion tanzanite earrings 7mm in size. The stones are gorgeous and were $6 each! Granted the 14k setting was more expensive, but I now have a beautiful set of earrings and didn't spend a fortune on them.

BTW - I would NEVER set an 'investment' grade stone. Oh and BTW(2), most retail jewelry has a 300-400% markup, so unless that <whatever> appreciates by more than 500%, you've lost money. If you don't believe me, go to a pawn shop or Craigslist and try to sell your stuff. :eek:

BTW - I would NEVER set an 'investment' grade stone. Oh and BTW(2), most retail jewelry has a 300-400% markup, so unless that <whatever> appreciates by more than 500%, you've lost money. If you don't believe me, go to a pawn shop or Craigslist and try to sell your stuff. :eek:

Absolutely correct ... and well-put. The same goes for those "appraisals." So many folks are under the impression that if they purchase a piece of jewelry for $1000, and it's "appraised" for $3000, then they must have bought it for 1/3 of its value. Nothing could be further from the truth. Such paper is essentially worthless ... it's for insurance purposes, and has absolutely no relation to the actual value of the piece. You could insure it for $10,000 if you're willing to pay the premium ... and of course, the insurance company isn't about to pay whatever amount is on the rider. Its obligation is to make the policy holder "whole," and 99% of the time they'll replace the lost or stolen item, rather than get out the checkbook. Try to sell that piece that was appraised for $3000 ... you'd be lucky to get half of what you paid for it.

Tanzanite is the most over-hyped (and very successfully marketed) product in the history of jewelry ... incidentally, the name was trademarked by Tiffany. It's essentially a semi-precious stone, which is (and here's the kicker) only found in one area of the world (Tanzania ... thus the name). There's a good reason why just about all of it is sold in Caribbean cruise ship ports. Similar stones (both in appearance and chemical composition) cost a fraction of what those Hustlers of the Caribbean get for tanzanite ... and how many years is it now that the mine is drying up? Minerals such as iolite are sometimes substituted for tanzanite with the buyers being none the wiser, unless they have a means to measure specific gravity.

My wife is a jewelry designer and artisan ... she won't touch the stuff ("I like to sleep nights") ... and she has the clientele that can easily afford what she'd have to charge.

But as long as there are eager cruisers with credit cards in hand, fast-talking port and shopping guides (take a look at this ... it says much ... http://www.portshopping.com ...) and Diamonds (Tanzanite) International, the ruse will continue.

Edited by jewopaho