Recommendation for novels set in the Caribbean

limace

I'd like to buy my mom a couple books to help her get excited about our cruise-but she's not a fan of nonfiction, generally. Any recommendations for decent mysteries, romance novels...or zombie stories! set in the Caribbean?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=67422&highlight=what+to+read

You can then search within the thread for the genres you seek. You can also do an advanced search on the Cruise Critic forums, using phrases like "mystery series," "books with Caribbean theme" and so on.

Mystery writer Carolyn Hart's Henrie O. series has at least 2 books that take place in warm weather places and one on a cruise ship. They are good mysteries that can't be figured out in the first few chapters. Dianne Rapp writes a "High Seas Mystery" series that are pretty good.

This site gives you books set in the Caribbean and elsewhere.

http://www.bookssetin.com/p1/177/Caribbean/p2/BookSearch.aspx

Also, you could Google "novels set in Caribbean" for lots of recommendations and reader reviews.

Edited by Bookish Angel

Michael Crichton's (Jurassic Park, ER) last book was about a privateer set in the Caribbean. It is called Pirate Lattitudes, and was released posthumously. It was finished by another writer and it isn't quite as good as his other books, but would be a good read for a cruise.

I'd like to buy my mom a couple books to help her get excited about our cruise-but she's not a fan of nonfiction, generally. Any recommendations for decent mysteries, romance novels...or zombie stories! set in the Caribbean?

Treasures of the Caribbean

It's a triolgy by Jim and Terri Kraus

It is set back in the pirate days when Barbados is first settled. The books are a series and are Christian Novels, not "preachy". What I love about the series is that you can tell the authors love the sea and the Caribbean, it shows thru thier writting.

I am also in the middle of Pirate of my Heart a new novel. We havent gotten to the Caribbean yet, so maybe it doesn't get there.

"An Embarrassment of Mangoes: A Caribbean Interlude" by Ann Vanderhoof

"Race, Oppression and the Zombie: Essays on Cross-Cultural Appropriations of the Caribbean Tradition" by Christopher Moreman is an academic but very entertaining book.

Edited by Bookish Angel

• 3 weeks later...

Just ordered Don't Stop the Carnival-plan to read it before I wrap it :). Can't believe it was written by Herman Wouk-we are big fans of Winds of War but this seems like such a different animal.

I love Skinny Dip-might actually have that one already.

Thanks for the recs-any more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk