Just returned from the Crown, Southern Caribbean Nov 9-16

pegbert

What a bunch of Whiners on this thread.

Boo hoo the room was hot. I think there are millions of people freezing in their homes because they can't afford heat.

Boo hoo I had to stand in line to board a cruise ship. There are people standing in line at soup kitchens hoping for a meal.

With so many activities and food choices on these ships it is impossible not to have a good time unless the ship sinks! LOL

Not every vacation can go perfectly. Some are great and some not but at least we are all lucky enough to be able to do things like this.

When we travel we understand that some things won't go our way and do our best to enjoy what we have.

I am sorry your vacation did not live up to your expectations but at least be thankful for the fun experiences you did have on your trip as millions will never get the chance to experience what you did.

Boo hoo the room was hot. I think there are millions of people freezing in their homes because they can't afford heat.

Boo hoo I had to stand in line to board a cruise ship. There are people standing in line at soup kitchens hoping for a meal.

With so many activities and food choices on these ships it is impossible not to have a good time unless the ship sinks! LOL

Not every vacation can go perfectly. Some are great and some not but at least we are all lucky enough to be able to do things like this.

When we travel we understand that some things won't go our way and do our best to enjoy what we have.

I am sorry your vacation did not live up to your expectations but at least be thankful for the fun experiences you did have on your trip as millions will never get the chance to experience what you did.

Geez, dandonna.... If I had paid for a suite (really any cabin) and it was so hot I had to put cooled wash clothes on my forehead to try and sleep, I would be complaining my butt off. I hate whiners, too, but my goodness, this is more than that. And that line about people freezing in their homes . . . OMG.

geez, dandonna.... If i had paid for a suite (really any cabin) and it was so hot i had to put cooled wash clothes on my forehead to try and sleep, i would be complaining my butt off. I hate whiners, too, but my goodness, this is more than that. And that line about people freezing in their homes . . . Omg.

omg ...lol

We didn't have any AC problems but we did hear of others who did.

One time, on a Holland America ship, we had airconditioning problems the first night. For some reason it's just very uncomfortable on a ship. Fortunately, our CC meeting was the next day and the Hotel Director (James Deering) was in attendance. He made sure our problem was fixed, that we had a bottle of champagne in our cabin for our trouble (or as Donna stated for our whining) and we were invited to a special cocktail party.

Before we booked Crown I read that periodically there are air conditioning problems in a certain area of the ship. Now, if I had a cruise coming up on her I would research this and make sure I was booked somewhere else. Just think, Donna, that can be you on your upcoming cruise if you booked a Guarantee. Have fun not sleeping for the week.

Jeez, paying all that $$$ for a suite and being hot all week isn't fun and complaining about it here is not whining.

Edited by mafig

We didn't have any AC problems but we did hear of others who did.

One time, on a Holland America ship, we had airconditioning problems the first night. For some reason it's just very uncomfortable on a ship. Fortunately, our CC meeting was the next day and the Hotel Director (James Deering) was in attendance. He made sure our problem was fixed, that we had a bottle of champagne in our cabin for our trouble (or as Donna stated for our whining) and we were invited to a special cocktail party.

Before we booked Crown I read that periodically there are air conditioning problems in a certain area of the ship. Now, if I had a cruise coming up on her I would research this and make sure I was booked somewhere else. Just think, Donna, that can be you on your upcoming cruise if you booked a Guarantee. Have fun not sleeping for the week.

Jeez, paying all that $$$ for a suite and being hot all week isn't fun and complaining about it here is not whining.

I think I could put up with it considering there are much worse places to sleep:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g2ysuV9S1KJi-hBVS4O6Jf4rE5xg?docId=b883d9ed-53af-4bce-afae-5628dc1e1620&hl=en

No you couldn't. If you paid good money for a cruise and you were in a HOT stateroom for a week, and you knew others were fine you would not be thankful.

Since you're booked on this very cruise, if I were you I would be encouraging others to tell exactly what cabins had problems with airconditioning so I could stay away from them. I think you're just nervous that you may end up exactly like that poster and you want to shut up any negativity. Sort of like sticking your fingers in your ears and going la, la, la.

No you couldn't. If you paid good money for a cruise and you were in a HOT stateroom for a week, and you knew others were fine you would not be thankful.

Since you're booked on this very cruise, if I were you I would be encouraging others to tell exactly what cabins had problems with airconditioning so I could stay away from them. I think you're just nervous that you may end up exactly like that poster and you want to shut up any negativity. Sort of like sticking your fingers in your ears and going la, la, la.

LOL ...You are making me laugh and I thank you for a Monday chuckle...lalalala

Hey Donna (Somehow I doubt Dan would post something like this),

I worked my butt off for over a year to be able to afford to have a suite, it was NOT given to me, nor am I any entitled person. It's the second cruise I've ever taken and my room experience in the St Kitts Suite on C750 on Princess was not acceptable, by any normal person's opinion.

I am not a whiner, but I expect what I paid for, especially the basic necessities: air conditioning in a tropical climate. The shower and TV were minor problems.

Enjoy your cruise.

.... not to interrupt your bickering, but I started this thread in hopes that my recent experience might be helpful to other cruisers. I do check the thread in the event that there is a question I can answer, but there might not be any point to that if the theme of the thread has changed.

I'm sorry for anyone who has had a bad cruise experience, but there is not much that one can say in this thread to change it now.

.... not to interrupt your bickering, but I started this thread in hopes that my recent experience might be helpful to other cruisers. I do check the thread in the event that there is a question I can answer, but there might not be any point to that if the theme of the thread has changed.

I'm sorry for anyone who has had a bad cruise experience, but there is not much that one can say in this thread to change it now.

I don't have a question, but I do want to thank you for this post and for your others on MUTS info and on the Patters. We'll be on the Emerald, but it's been very helpful to read your posts for info about the Caribbean cruises in general.

I always find it interesting the directions some threads can go, through no intent of the OP .... ;)

Just know that your information is very much appreciated Peg! :)

Thank you - I do appreciate that. I realize that these sorts of boards typically have the "cool people" whose posts everyone wants to read and who get all the replies. I don't expect that.... I just wanted to give back, in a sense, since I have learned so much from reading the comments on this site.

So much is personal opinion. We didn't enjoy our cruise last year as much as I had hoped.. but much of that was based on our own expectations. This year, we sought the advice of others (on this board and others), and decided that we would "embrace" the experience, rather than trying to make it fit what we wanted. We all have a choice to see the cup as half full or half empty. The fact that we have the opportunity to sail in relative luxury on the high seas is a blessing, no matter what. Were there things on this cruise that disappointed me? Sure! Will we cruise again? Most likely, yes. On Princess? Well, that will depend on where we want to go. And if we find that gourmet food is more important, then we will look at other options. If we want to experience a number of islands/ports while our hotel room travels with us, then we will cruise, and enjoy gourmet meals in port. Yes, we paid substantially more for a mini-suite, and there were a couple of issues. But when we got home I looked at the Crystal website.... YIKES!!!!!

I joined this forum because we can learn from and share with other cruisers. I'll continue to log on and read the posts, because you never know.... next week I might book our next cruise, and the count-down will begin again!! :D

We only get one life on this earth.... might as well look for the things that make us smile!

Peg

I was going to post this same post. I so appreciate you posting your experiences and answering everyone's questions.

This is not the post for the bad experiences, those need to be a separate post or better yet, not at all.

This is not the post for the bad experiences, those need to be a separate post or better yet, not at all.

What? You want Cruise Critic to only post good experiences and not post anything bad? Wow! Believe me, one day you will be thankful for that bad post that will save you booking a cabin with no working airconditioning. Or a cruise where there are engine problems and your long anticipated cruise never makes half of their ports. Be careful what you wish for.:rolleyes: Those posts have value on Cruise Critic.

Just because someone starts a thread does not mean they can dictate that only good can go on that thread. Many threads take on a life of their own. I'm sure someone will be very thankful to learn that a certain suite on Crown that they will pay thousands of dollars for, has non working airconditioning.

Edited by mafig

I don't think the negative reviews are the issue.... I also appreciate opinions from all sides. A negative aspect for one may have a solution from another. Or it may help steer a prospective cruiser in the right direction.

It's the ongoing personal attacks and bickering that are unproductive. If you want to engage in a heated debate as to whether someone's "opinion" is acceptable or not, you might want to take it private. Opinions are never wrong.... they are opinions!!

Based on opinions of others on this board - both positive and negative - we adjusted our vacation planning and were MUCH rewarded for it. I stood at the rail as we reached FLL and shouted "reverse engines!! drop the lines!!!" :D

Peg

People standing in lines for food and freezing did not spend thousands of dollars to do so. My point is spend your money on better cruise line!!

Peg, thanks for your efforts! Hopefully you will get a chance to post the Patters at some point. If not, no worries. ****just saw them....thanks!

"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours."

Edited by jkskrap

What? You want Cruise Critic to only post good experiences and not post anything bad? Wow! Believe me, one day you will be thankful for that bad post that will save you booking a cabin with no working airconditioning. Or a cruise where there are engine problems and your long anticipated cruise never makes half of their ports. Be careful what you wish for.:rolleyes: Those posts have value on Cruise Critic.

Just because someone starts a thread does not mean they can dictate that only good can go on that thread. Many threads take on a life of their own. I'm sure someone will be very thankful to learn that a certain suite on Crown that they will pay thousands of dollars for, has non working airconditioning.

I learned my lesson. I will never cruise again without researching on cruise critic! I want to hear the good and the bad.

:mad:

At the Ft. Lauderdale check in, we stood in line in the heat for 3+ hours trying to get to our "preferred full suite" check-in.

Finally got to our suite - Caribe 750, St. Kitts, extreme aft location - the room felt like it was deep winter at an Alaskan retirement home. Nothing but heat, heat, heat, all week. We reported it immediately to our steward, and also asked for a fan. He said he would definitely take care of both items. No fan ever appeared, nor did the air get any cooler.

We went out on the large balcony ONE TIME during the entire cruise. There were two sliding glass doors, on the right side door (closest to the beds) there is also a visual obstruction (part of the ship).

Every day we reported the heat, either to our steward and/or Passenger Services, supposedly it was worked on, but never felt anything like normal cool air until we landed back in Ft. Lauderdale, when it finally felt a bit cool. [end quote]

Hi- sorry to hear that your cruise was ruined by the A/C in the suite. What was the temperature in the room? Were the blowers blowing warm air or no air at all?

The engine control room has a very sophisticated Siemens computer program running all the ship's functions and a Jnr Engineer is on watch 24/7 checking each program for anomalies. When I was on the ship tour on the Crown a passenger remarked about the heat in his cabin and the Chief asked him which cabin and he pulled that cabin up on the monitor and had an immediate reading. The passenger agreed it was an acceptable setting and one he would have at home-but if not it could have been remedied by a mouse click.

I stayed for a week on the Crown in January 2012 in the suite next to yours C 749 and had no issue thankfully. If I had an issue I would have taken it up the chain of command to the Hotel Manager until resolved. Faulty A/C isn't a Princess trademark nor is lack of caring and response to a passenger's needs.

A company can't become the World's 3rd biggest cruise line unless the customer's comfort and enjoyment of their purchase is paramount. Repeat business keeps them afloat.

My experience with Princess, albeit on just 4 cruises in 2 years has been as near-prefect as I could hope and I wish yours had been the same, regardless of how much was paid to travel.

Best wishes for your future sailings on which ever line you sail.

Norris

I don't think the negative reviews are the issue.... I also appreciate opinions from all sides. A negative aspect for one may have a solution from another. Or it may help steer a prospective cruiser in the right direction.

It's the ongoing personal attacks and bickering that are unproductive. If you want to engage in a heated debate as to whether someone's "opinion" is acceptable or not, you might want to take it private. Opinions are never wrong.... they are opinions!!

Based on opinions of others on this board - both positive and negative - we adjusted our vacation planning and were MUCH rewarded for it. I stood at the rail as we reached FLL and shouted "reverse engines!! drop the lines!!!" :D

Peg

Peg- I know how you feel when Port Everglades is your LAST port!

Bummer!

Bimmer

(Norris)

We also had the embarkation from hell. Stood in line for 3 hours!! No one would tell us why. Not offered a botle of water or even a cracker. Very poor service. Never again will we cruise princess. BEWARE. They do not care.

Strange to be so vehement TWICE and only posted 4 times Keep enjoying your other cruise lines I will continue enjoying them all including Princess

Actually you are incorrect There is a long thread at the top of the page advising that threads SHOULD NOT BE put off topic and asking for reports if this occurs.