Beds on Golden

ptiprof

In the past there have been many posts about Princess mattress firmness. I asked for an egg crate (foam pad) on the Emerald previously and on the Azamara Quest, and that worked for me. Just wondering about the mattress situation on the Golden. We're doing a 3-day in a balcony cabin. Do I need to take my emergency inflatable camping mattress or are the current mattresses (with or without extra foam/egg crate) something less than firm? I and my tricky back thank you for any info :-)

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

We were on the golden at the end of September this year in an obstructed ocean view. The mattress had what looked to be a pillowtop - like pad on top. Not part of the mattress, but placed on top. It was very comfortable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We were in a Vista Suite, didn't ask for a egg crate but should have .

I thought being a suite (our first time) the bedding would be better but not so. The pillows were old too. I think the beds were a little better than what we usually have in a Princess ship balcony cabin, but not much.(Oct 28th)

We had recently sailed on the new Royal and the beds in balcony cabin were so incredible that somehow I thought a suite would have the same on other ships but we were wrong.

FYI...On the second day of my 4 day cruise beginning 10-28-13 the Golden began mattress replacement, beginning with my bank of cabins. (Emerald deck mid-ship port side) This will be an on-going thing for a while. The new mattress was nice an comfy. Now, if they would also replace the so-so pillows.

Thank you all for the info. It looks like a) the camping mat comes along just in case b) I ask for an egg crate or topper right away and c) I cross my fingers that the mattress upgrade squad gets to the Caribe deck by next Sunday!

We were in a Vista Suite, didn't ask for a egg crate but should have .

I thought being a suite (our first time) the bedding would be better but not so. The pillows were old too. I think the beds were a little better than what we usually have in a Princess ship balcony cabin, but not much.(Oct 28th)

We had recently sailed on the new Royal and the beds in balcony cabin were so incredible that somehow I thought a suite would have the same on other ships but we were wrong.

I guess they must be in the process of replacing mattresses because we were in vista suite E733 Oct 28 to Nov 1st and had a wonderful pillow top mattress.

A few weeks before, same ship, obstructed ocean view and had very comfy mattress pad, not egg crate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Princess advertises that mini-suites and suites have premium bedding, so chances are you'll have one of the newer mattresses in those categories. In the past two years, I've had great mattresses in mini's and hard mattresses in balconies. They normally change out mattresses as needed. That said, I have read a few posts that some ships are changing out all their mattresses. So, eventually all cabins should have the upgraded mattresses. At this point, I don't think there's any way of telling what you'll get. Bring the air mattress if you think you may need it.

I think that all of the Princess ships are gradually replacing old mattresses a few at a time with pillow-top mattresses. We had an older mattress on the Coral last summer however they had replaced the old flimsy toppers with a pillow-top one. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We also were on the Golden on the 4 day cruise starting 28 Oct 13.

The first night I discovered that the mattress had a large depression sunk down on the top end and a matching depression on the bottom. The middle had a lump.:eek:

Even with the requested egg crate mattress topper I did not get much sleep.

Then Tuesday morning I walk out into the hallway and find that the crew is putting out new mattress's to get to ready to install them in the cabins on our deck, Deck 8.

Had no trouble sleeping from Tuesday night on.

Then Tuesday morning I walk out into the hallway and find that the crew is putting out new mattress's to get to ready to install them in the cabins on our deck, Deck 8.

Had no trouble sleeping from Tuesday night on.

That's great news as we'll be sailing 30 days on the Golden early next year in an Emerald deck (8) cabin. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

In the past there have been many posts about Princess mattress firmness. I asked for an egg crate (foam pad) on the Emerald previously and on the Azamara Quest, and that worked for me. Just wondering about the mattress situation on the Golden. We're doing a 3-day in a balcony cabin. Do I need to take my emergency inflatable camping mattress or are the current mattresses (with or without extra foam/egg crate) something less than firm? I and my tricky back thank you for any info :-)

I asked for a topper the minute on board. The beds were fine with it. I brought my own pillow which I left on the ship. I did not even chance trying to sleep without the topper.

Just ask for the topper. You can always get rid of it if you feel that you don't need it.

To hpeabody--I've got the pillow problem under control. My wonderful Tempurpedic travel pillow can be used alone or on top of another pillow. If the mattress is fairly soft, I'm good to go.

We were on the Golden Oct 10-14th in a balcony cabin. They were replacing some of the mattresses while we were on the cruise but that didn't help me. It was kind of funny when we got to our cabin I sat on one side of the bed and thought oh wow this is comfy but when it came time to sleep I got on my side and omg it was like laying on lumpy springs! Our steward brought us a topper but my side was still awful! Hopefully you'll have one of those new mattresses! You can always ask for more than 1 topper. I figured 4 days..I can deal with it..:)

btw..dh did volunteer to sleep on that side but I didn't want to subject him to it!:)

We were on the Golden Oct 10-14th in a balcony cabin. They were replacing some of the mattresses while we were on the cruise but that didn't help me. It was kind of funny when we got to our cabin I sat on one side of the bed and thought oh wow this is comfy but when it came time to sleep I got on my side and omg it was like laying on lumpy springs! Our steward brought us a topper but my side was still awful! Hopefully you'll have one of those new mattresses! You can always ask for more than 1 topper. I figured 4 days..I can deal with it..:)

btw..dh did volunteer to sleep on that side but I didn't want to subject him to it!:)

Hi Michelle,

We cruise on the Golden in 10 days. Too bad you and DH aren't on this cruise with us :( I called Princess about a topper and was told there were none available :mad: On the Sapphire I had to have 3 after 1 didn't cut it for me. I sure hope we have a new mattress or I will not be able to sleep. DH suggests that I drink alot so that I'll pass out :eek: Thanks DH...

((Janis)) I wish we could be going with you guys too! Hopefully you'll have a nice new mattress as we saw them loading the new ones when we went:)

Hi Michelle,

We cruise on the Golden in 10 days. Too bad you and DH aren't on this cruise with us :( I called Princess about a topper and was told there were none available :mad: On the Sapphire I had to have 3 after 1 didn't cut it for me. I sure hope we have a new mattress or I will not be able to sleep. DH suggests that I drink alot so that I'll pass out :eek: Thanks DH...

Hi Michelle,

Hey

Just ask your cabin attendant, they will most likely get you one.

They had them for our September 1st voyage. Just ask first thing

I was in a mini on Dolphin deck for the Nov 1 cruise. The mattress was wonderful and I normally sleep on a memory foam mattress so traditional mattress tend to bother me. I recall in the past, not only were the beds a bit uncomfortable, but also that the "queen" mattress often developed a canyon in the middle as the twin mattress slid apart. There were no sliding issues this cruise either. I was pleasantly surprised!

We were on the Golden 10/24. The mattesses were hard as a rock and lumpy. The pillows were like sleeping on a bag of marbles. Horrible.

Good luck:(

We were on the same cruise. C752 (?), aft corner balcony. After the first day, we asked for the egg crate. We didn't pre-request it, so lucky for us, there was one available. The pillows were pretty flat...

It was a great cruise, and that was the only thing we were bothered by, and it was a minor inconvenience. :)

Pat

We were on the same cruise. C752 (?), aft corner balcony. After the first day, we asked for the egg crate. We didn't pre-request it, so lucky for us, there was one available. The pillows were pretty flat...

It was a great cruise, and that was the only thing we were bothered by, and it was a minor inconvenience. :)

Pat

Yeah, we thought it was a great cruise, too. I'm glad we were warned on CC so knew that to expect. The only cruise I've been on with a mattress that bad was the Monarch of the Seas. All my other sailings had fantastic beds and pillows. We were in the Sun Deck with the suites so I had high hopes that we would get decent mattresses but it wasn't to be. We also had the worst room steward of any cruise also we've ever been on and we aren't picky:(