thermal activity in Tauranga?

We are docking at Tauranga for about 11 hours 1045am to 930pm. As there is only half a day of daylight we are not keen on spending 2 hours driving (or getting some other form of transportation) to get to Rotorua to see thermal activity, so I was wondering is there anywhere in Tauranga that thermal activity is able to be seen. I would like to see geysers, bubbling mud and the like if possible. I know I am asking for a lot!;)

Nope they are in Rotorua. If it's any consolation the drive itself is very pretty.

Thanks, I think I have found a ship excursion that sees what I want without being too expensive & that way l am guaranteed the ship wont go without me !

Has anyone been on the Royal Caribbean TR 45 Rotorua Thermal Outing & Blue Baths Tea?

sapphire 57

We are docking at Tauranga for about 11 hours 1045am to 930pm. As there is only half a day of daylight we are not keen on spending 2 hours driving (or getting some other form of transportation) to get to Rotorua to see thermal activity, so I was wondering is there anywhere in Tauranga that thermal activity is able to be seen. I would like to see geysers, bubbling mud and the like if possible. I know I am asking for a lot!;)

We do have daylight saving:)

You will have more than half a day of daylight. It won't get dark until an hour or so before you are due back on board the ship.

It is less than 2 hours' drive to Rotorua. The locals say one hour, but if you are driving the vehicle yourself on roads you are unfamiliar with, it would probably take an hour and a half. A tour bus would probably take not much more than an hour. With your ship due to leave at 9.30 (back on board probably by 9pm) I wouldn't think there is any chance you would take longer than that to return to the dock. If you are traveling independently, I suggest planning to be back around 8pm. You will have had enough sightseeing by then.

There absolutely no thermal activity at Tauranga or at Mt Manganui (where the ship docks).

It is well worth going to Rotorua. There will be people in the information tent on the dock selling tours to Rotorua, but you will probably have to pay the additional amount for entry to Te Puia to see the geysers, mud pools and Maori cultural show.

Depending on the time of year it wont get dark until 9pm.

It now light until 8.30pm.

The drive should only take 1.5 hours at the most, it about 60km.

Seeing the boiling mud etc in the parks will close by 6pm at the latest (that is a guess, check closing times).

There is White Island, but that is a 1 hour drive to get to the tour start point.

Depending on the time of year it wont get dark until 9pm.

It now light until 8.30pm.

The drive should only take 1.5 hours at the most, it about 60km.

Seeing the boiling mud etc in the parks will close by 6pm at the latest (that is a guess, check closing times).

There is White Island, but that is a 1 hour drive to get to the tour start point.

Kia ora,

Closing times vary & tend to be later during the summer season. Parks are not closed and one is free to wander round places like Kuirau Park or Ohinemutu at any time. I would not consider White Island if I was on a cruise ship as things like the weather and volcanic activity can affect sailings Many cruise ships do a sail past and visiting a thermal area in Rotorua will give you a good impression of what it is like on the island.

Aquarians