Difference between Normal and Hump Balconies on Silhouette.

portcbob

Hi Guys.

In relation to the size and shape of Verandahs/Balconies on the Silhouette. Is there much difference between a normal Deluxe or a Hump????

Also is the interior of the cabins both the same size????

Cheers Bob.

P.S. Is there a price difference also between Hump and Deluxe Cabins.:):):)

The answers are not simple as each ship has quirks where two cabins in the same category may be slightly different due to position on the ship. But I tried to give you generally correct information.

Hi Guys.

In relation to the size and shape of Verandahs/Balconies on the Silhouette. Is there much difference between a normal Deluxe or a Hump???? On the hump, the cabins along the straight line have the same "standard" balconies as other categories (with the occasional variance such as the last side cabins towards the aft on some decks). The first and third cabins on the angle have balconies that are close to 3 times the size of the standard. the second and fourth cabin balconies are about twice the size. Again, this is a generality, not an exact science.

Also is the interior of the cabins both the same size???? When talking about cabin size, all cabins in the various balcony, sunset, concierge and Aqua (not Aqua suites, though) are essentially the same size.

Cheers Bob.

You have to look at the categories by position. For instance, some of the cabins on the angles are C2 and they will cost the same as a C2 cabin in another location.

Hi Guys.

In relation to the size and shape of Verandahs/Balconies on the Silhouette. Is there much difference between a normal Deluxe or a Hump????

Also is the interior of the cabins both the same size????

Cheers Bob.

Although the rooms are identical, the largest hump balconies are huge. As others have mentioned, they are almost 3 times the size. It is so nice not having to trip over one another stepping onto the balcony or into the room. We had 1108 on the Equinox (concierge), so foot stools were provided. We ended up napping out there -- so awesome.

Anyone have a picture of the hump balcony on an S class ship?

We have one this weekend on the Reflection.

Thanks,

Howard

This post has a picture of 2105. This is on the resort deck on the aft side of the hump. This is the largest balcony. The cabin next door has about 1.5 - 2 feet less depth.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=22700705&postcount=4

We have stayed on one of the large balconies on the solstice. We have just booked another cruise on the hump of equinox but the starboard side. Someone posted a really good drawing of the deck configurations of the hump cabins, but my rule of thumb is tha the second and fourth cabins on the bow side of the hump are largest. The first and third are larger but not as big. I will see if i can post a pic of ours.

We have stayed on one of the large balconies on the solstice. We have just booked another cruise on the hump of equinox but the starboard side. Someone posted a really good drawing of the deck configurations of the hump cabins, but my rule of thumb is tha the second and fourth cabins on the bow side of the hump are largest. The first and third are larger but not as big. I will see if i can post a pic of ours.

Well, you use your personal rule of thumb and I'll use my actual experience staying with friends in consecutive cabins on the slant off the hump. The first and third cabins are the ones with the largest balconies. Granted, this was the aft-facing slant. But my understanding from reading these boards is that the same scenario applies to the bow facing cabins. If you have pictures proving this wrong, I'm sure others on these boards would like to know, because everyone I know has been going by the first and third are the largest balconies equation.

Well, you use your personal rule of thumb and I'll use my actual experience staying with friends in consecutive cabins on the slant off the hump. The first and third cabins are the ones with the largest balconies. Granted, this was the aft-facing slant. But my understanding from reading these boards is that the same scenario applies to the bow facing cabins. If you have pictures proving this wrong, I'm sure others on these boards would like to know, because everyone I know has been going by the first and third are the largest balconies equation.

I agree. We were in 2105 (1st cabin on the aft slant) on Eclipse and Solstice.

Our balcony was definitely larger than 2107 (2nd on the slant).

Here is a shot of the port side rear hump balconies on Eclipse. The front side is similar. As you can see the first and third from the center portion of the hump have the larger balconies as they have the greatest depth.

attachment.php?attachmentid=293233&d=1384766388

DSC09486a.jpg.68741a54df2af621831b665483963c15.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

You are right that the rear hump cabins are the first and third, but if you mirror the cabins and move them to the front of the hump, the largest would be second and fourth ( position 4 is the mirror of position 1). I stayed in room 9215 which was the large balcony, fourth room in.

Quite a while ago someone made a great map of the balconies. That is why we picked 9215. I have tried to find it, but only found some partial maps for rear facing balconies:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=874983&highlight=

I will try to find it. Ah, please see the link below showing the starboard side hump on the bow side of the ship. You can see, counting right to left that cabins 2 and 4 are larger.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36770657&postcount=274

Edited by thomaskuhn

You are right that the rear hump cabins are the first and third, but if you mirror the cabins and move them to the front of the hump, the largest would be second and fourth ( position 4 is the mirror of position 1). I stayed in room 9215 which was the large balcony, fourth room in.

Quite a while ago someone made a great map of the balconies. That is why we picked 9215. I have tried to find it, but only found some partial maps for rear facing balconies:

I will try to find it.

Generally, people on these boards refer to the "1st and 3rd angled balconies off the hump" in EITHER DIRECTION (forward-facing, or aft-facing) as being the largest balconies.

You are really talking about the same cabins, but are using different labels. You will be more easily understood on this forum if you refer to the largest balconies as the 1st and 3rd (off the hump), regardless of the direction in which they face.

Edited by Waterlily777

I will try to find it.

You left out the "from the center part of the hump" from what I wrote so it the same, first and third balconies are the largest, whether going forward toward the bow or rearward towards the stern from that part of the ship.

Here is a diagram of the S class hump.

solstice07bal_zps6a5a9fd8.jpg

I will try to find it. Ah, please see the link below showing the starboard side hump on the bow side of the ship. You can see, counting right to left that cabins 2 and 4 are larger.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36770657&postcount=274

Thanks for that useful piece of information and a photo confirming it. I've never stayed in a forward-facing hump cabin and probably won't, but it's good to know that starting from the hump and going forward, it's the 2nd and 4th cabins that have the largest balconies. I think that referring to 1st and 3rd on both sides is confusing. At least to me. I always start counting from the hump.

For those of you who have occupied forward-facing hump cabins, how is the wind? I've always avoided these cabins because I assumed they would be windy.

Linda, we have stayed in both and never noticed any difference in the wind. It is correct that 1st and 3rd coming off the hump in both directions are the largest and that goes for both starboard and port side as well.

Thanks for that useful piece of information and a photo confirming it. I've never stayed in a forward-facing hump cabin and probably won't, but it's good to know that starting from the hump and going forward, it's the 2nd and 4th cabins that have the largest balconies. I think that referring to 1st and 3rd on both sides is confusing. At least to me. I always start counting from the hump.

Linda, if you are counting the angled balconies from the straight center part of the hump it is the first and third balconies that are the largest either going forward towards the bow or rearwards towards the stern. thomaskuhn is counting from the bow rearwards to the stern so that's why he is saying it's the second and fourth balconies that are larger on the front angle of the hump. You can see this in the hump diagram I posted above and the shot of Eclipse's front port side hump below.

In the bottom row, deck 6, you can see the right side, cabin 6215 balcony which is only partially showing is the larger balcony, to the left, cabin 6211, of it is the smaller of these large balconies, next left, cabin 6209, is again the larger of the two sizes and the most left, cabin 6207, is again the smaller of the angled hump balconies.

attachment.php?attachmentid=293390&d=1384889775

DSC09487a.jpg.15bb3b3d335e4cd046d3d34e0aaa723a.jpg

Edited by robtulipe

Linda, if you are counting the angled balconies from the straight center part of the hump it is the first and third balconies that are the largest either going forward towards the bow or rearwards towards the stern. thomaskuhn is counting from the bow rearwards to the stern so that's why he is saying it's the second and fourth balconies that are larger on the front angle of the hump. You can see this in the hump diagram I posted above and the shot of Eclipse's front port side hump below.

In the bottom row, deck 6, you can see the right side, cabin 6215 balcony which is only partially showing is the larger balcony, to the left, cabin 6211, of it is the smaller of these large balconies, next left, cabin 6209, is again the larger of the two sizes and the most left, cabin 6207, is again the smaller of the angled hump balconies.

attachment.php?attachmentid=293390&d=1384889775

OK, I get it. In other words, what I believed all along was so. Having looked at the photo again, I agree. First and third it is. Starting at the hump and going away (whether forward or backward).