Does Carnival count a single person paying a double occupancy room as two cruises?

browneyedwoman

I was looking at the Princess website and they are under the Carnival umbrella. Princess clearly states that for their rewards program they will give a single cruiser in a regular room that pays double occupancy credit for two cruises. I think this is fait because it was what the single cruiser is required to pay. Is Carnival supposed to do that also?

No they don't! That is a big sore issue with many solo cruisers, we pay from 150% to 200% for a cabin need to have double credit.

While Princess offers this option, however other cruiselines under Carnival,like HAL don't.

But Carnival have offering some good pricing on solo travels.

I did a back to back this summer by myself on the Carnival Pride . . . And it didn't count for four cruises. It would be nice . . . Since single cruisers have to pay double the fare :( I called the diamond desk and asked since I'm now diamond if there is anything they could do about the single supplement and they said no.

The reason I asked was that I had a solo room a year or so ago when I cruised with my parents on Carnival and I paid the double rate - for a balcony. I was reading the Princess line's site and they had that they gave credit for two cruises. for the solo passenger. That got me to wonder if my solo Carnival cruise should have been counted as two.

Carnival is way too cheap and stingy with their VFIP program to give you what you pay for.

If you pay double you should get double. I am sailing solo on one of the Magic's sailings where the waived the solo supplement. I would not expect double points for that.

I go solo too. I agree about getting double credit, but I also understand the price is based on double occupancy, thus we are actually paying for the cabin, not just the cruise.

Maybe there will be changes to the solo structure now that other cruise lines give credit. I'm guessing the management is starting to recognize the solo and hope they continue the no solo supplement to help fill the empty cabins, even though so far it has been mostly on the shorter cruises. I've not seen as many solo offerings as I have this fall. The only 7 nighter I've seen is Valor out of SJ.

I've not seen as many solo offerings as I have this fall. The only 7 nighter I've seen is Valor out of SJ.

I've seen that too and I'm hoping to see them again before I sail the Valor in 2015 :D

Edited by LEtue

Solo cruisers are paying 2x the passenger rate, but are only generating half the tips, shore excursions and onboard spending that the same cabin with 2 people in it would make.

And since they are willing to at times highly discount the price of the cabins to fill the ship that makes me think that it's the revenue generation that they are more interested in.

If carnival started giving double cruise rewards for singles who paid double, then people who had a balcony cabin who paid double the inside rate would want double credit also.. There are people that pay triple the cost of an interior cabin for suites, maybe more, should they get extra credit also... I do believe that Carnival should adjust there pricing for solo cruisers and only charge them maybe 150% instead of double, but if they started giving extra credit, that would open up alot of issues with people

Solo cruisers are paying 2x the passenger rate, but are only generating half the tips, shore excursions and onboard spending that the same cabin with 2 people in it would make.

And since they are willing to at times highly discount the price of the cabins to fill the ship that makes me think that it's the revenue generation that they are more interested in.

Of course it's revenue. And the solo cruiser is also more likely to be a frugal spender. But to give a solo supplement free cruise is still generating money compared to an empty cabin.

If carnival started giving double cruise rewards for singles who paid double, then people who had a balcony cabin who paid double the inside rate would want double credit also.. There are people that pay triple the cost of an interior cabin for suites, maybe more, should they get extra credit also... I do believe that Carnival should adjust there pricing for solo cruisers and only charge them maybe 150% instead of double, but if they started giving extra credit, that would open up alot of issues with people

If someone is paying for two people to go then they should get double points. Plain and simple. You are really reaching far by comparin cabin costs.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not always true. My S and S balance was higher than my parents bill when we sailed together. They had the two of them in one cabin and I paid for my own cabin. They didn't order any alcoholic beverages and I ordered several. I still only received credit for one cruise but in effect paid for two people.

Dear brownedeyedwoman,

As in most things dollars make the actions done best. Having half the normal occupancy in a cabin or hotel room makes a lot less revenues generated too. Some newer ships are catering now to more solo cabins on ships.On the programs I think getting double if paying double/triple/quadruple does make sense.

I also wish having more common stock shares than the basic, only 100 share Shareholder requirement should also get a lot more OBC too.. but alas the dividend does that.. more shares..more dividends but not the dividend amount per share nor how many shareholders per cabin....;) CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE

I was looking at the Princess website and they are under the Carnival umbrella. Princess clearly states that for their rewards program they will give a single cruiser in a regular room that pays double occupancy credit for two cruises. I think this is fait because it was what the single cruiser is required to pay. Is Carnival supposed to do that also?

The reason I asked was that I had a solo room a year or so ago when I cruised with my parents on Carnival and I paid the double rate - for a balcony. I was reading the Princess line's site and they had that they gave credit for two cruises. for the solo passenger. That got me to wonder if my solo Carnival cruise should have been counted as two.

The answer is still, no.

I don't understand how this thread even became a venue for people's opinions. The OP asked a simple question about whether or not Carnival DOES give extra credit... the OP did not ask if Carnival should or should not or why or why not. Why does everything have to turn into a flame war. You might as well just come out with, "What?! Are you an idiot?!?" , because that seems to be the meaning of an answer like that.

I don't understand how this thread even became a venue for people's opinions. The OP asked a simple question about whether or not Carnival DOES give extra credit... the OP did not ask if Carnival should or should not or why or why not. Why does everything have to turn into a flame war. You might as well just come out with, "What?! Are you an idiot?!?" , because that seems to be the meaning of an answer like that.

Way I see it, if someone just wanted a yes/no answer, they should contact the cruiseline directly. When you pose a question in a forum where most answers are just an opinion then you invite opinions. Without the actually name-calling in a response, the "tone" is placed there by the reader.