Unusual Predicament

abitaturbodog

Thanks for the info. I looked up the policy and it says 48 hours from departure. Since we're driving, I think we should be covered since departure is 4:00 on Monday. USAA has a 27/7 customer service, so if we win on Friday, I will be on the phone with USAA on the way home.

It's a beautiful place, that's for sure. Thanks for the well wishes!

Departure could also very well mean when you close the garage door and depart from your drive way.

Travel insurance can cover the ENTIRE trip. From door to door.

The definition of departure is very important here. Not your definition but the insurance companies definition.

Wow, it's a small world after all! Yes, we're headed to North Augusta on Friday night. Hope to bring home the W. My boys both start on the O-line, what position and number is your cousin? I can have my boys say "hello!"

Trib Reece number 3 and good luck Friday.

If you really want to go on the cruise. My Uncle Vito used to be in the "Sporting Events Outcome " business and maybe he can set something up:)

Just kidding *LOL* Wishing your boys the best.

Hey there! I may need your Uncle Vito sometime, I'll keep this is mind!

Hey whats up?

How have you been ?

God bless the old Paisan ....85 years old and if he says Ah Morte ......you is Ah Morte *LOL*

:) I'm doing great. How are you? Figure out the tattoo yet? I'm putting off my next project for a while, getting a smaller one in a couple of weeks but the big one is going to wait ;).

Good Luck to your boys. Making it to state is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I coached High School Girls Basketball and we made it to state....placing 4th. The experience will be with them forever. And as a parent I'm sure you couldn't be more proud.

Keep us posted

Good luck to the boys

But,,, don't you have to cancel within 48 hours of beginning of your trip to use this?

I think you are thinking of the Garantee Fun, or whatever they call it.

Good luck! our boys just lost a heartbreaker, 34-33 to an undefeated team. Went for the 2 point conversion instead of the tie, and didn't make it. :confused::(

Week before, won in overtime. :D

Thanks for the info. I looked up the policy and it says 48 hours from departure. Since we're driving, I think we should be covered since departure is 4:00 on Monday. USAA has a 27/7 customer service, so if we win on Friday, I will be on the phone with USAA on the way home.

I agree with Klfrodo. The departure date and time the policy refers to is when you leave your house NOT when the cruise ship sails. That is why I brought up this point. Your timing is right on the edge of being covered by CFAR or not.

Also, if you call USAA to tell them you're canceling your cruise, be sure your next call is to the cruise line to actually cancel your cruise. That call has to take place before the 48 hour window.

Be very careful to follow the exact terms of your policy or your cancellation will not be covered by your CFAR policy

I think you are thinking of the Garantee Fun, or whatever they call it.

Two different things. Insurance policies with cancel for any reason coverage require the cancellation to occur a certain period of time prior to departure (usually 48 hours) which has nothing to do with CCL's guarentee.

I agree with Klfrodo. The departure date and time the policy refers to is when you leave your house NOT when the cruise ship sails. That is why I brought up this point. Your timing is right on the edge of being covered by CFAR or not.

Also, if you call USAA to tell them you're canceling your cruise, be sure your next call is to the cruise line to actually cancel your cruise. That call has to take place before the 48 hour window.

Be very careful to follow the exact terms of your policy or your cancellation will not be covered by your CFAR policy

The departure date and time should be established by what part of your trip is covered- if you covered only the cruise then the time of departure is for the cruise, if you covered the trip to the port (flying/driving) then that would be the departure time.

I would suggest calling the cruise line first and cancelling because that is what has to happen 48 hours prior to departure, not filing a claim with the insurance company. I would expect the insured would need to produce something from the cruise line showing the exact date and time of the cancellation also.

I wouldn't miss their games for the world. I work in wildland fire protection and received dispatch orders the day of a league championship one year. I made it clear that I wouldn't fly out until after the game and if they won I would need to be back for the first playoff game 2 weeks later. They accepted that, I watched my son play and their team win the league championship, drove the airport and flew back that day before their playoff game where I watched them win again :). Cruises aren't that important and can be rescheduled!

Best of luck to your son and his team!

We are going on our cruise!!!! Unfortunately, the team lost their playoff game on Friday night and we did not have to use our insurance.

Since we didn't want to jinx their game mojo, we didn't prepare for the cruise at all prior to the game. We didn't buy anything for the cruise, didn't take a suitcase out of the attic, didn't put anything aside to pack, etc. So now that they lost, I've been doing "panic packing" since yesterday morning and hope to have everything ready to leave in less than 24 hours.

I have so much to do, and need to get off the computer to get it done!:)

I also want to thank everyone for the well-wishes and information about insurance. When we bought the insurance I really had no idea about all the limitations that it had. We originally were looking at a cruise leaving on Saturday, and if we had won the game I wouldn't have been covered when we cancelled because of the 48 hour clause. I didn't know that until all these great CCer's made me aware.

Thanks y'all!!!

Congrats all the way around. Sorry the boys lost the game but sometimes learning to take a loss is a win in the long run.

Glad you learned something about insurance without having to use the claim process.

Have a GREAT cruise.

My family has found ourselves in an interesting situation. We are booked on the Fascination leaving in 8 days but...if my sons win their football playoff game this coming Friday, we won't be boarding the Fascination! I'm sooooo excited that my boys are heading into the second round of the state playoffs, but also kinda bummed that we might not be joining my extended family on the cruise.

I figure it's a win-win situation...if they win, they are one game closer to the championship, and if they lose we get to go on a cruise! And the good news is that when we booked, we purchased "cancel for any reason" insurance for this exact reason.

Go Beaufort Eagles!

My Nephew played for an All American Team on the College level.

I would take the cruise.

My husband who went to the U. of Georgia on a full football scholarship, and my Nephew , who graduated on a full football Scholarship....both strongly agree.

Young boys should not play football until they are at least in High School.

My husband started playing in ninth grade. He has never had an injury.

My nephew started playing in elementary school.

He has been operated on...Knees.....has arthritis in some joints.

He is a High School head Football Coach now. Loves, loves the Game. His Son....does not play football. Not until he is in High School..which there is Tenth grade.

I sound like a downer. My Bad. I love Football. I see the Crimson Tide come out and my heart beats. My husband would never have gone to college without football.

But..if I had a son..I would google. I would research. ONE bad injury..and a promising athlete...........is never going to play again. Amateur coaches....no doctor on the sidelines........equipment not good enough.

Take care.

May your little rascals................play in the Super Bowl!!! And be healthy too! Although the Pros.....tough. My husband played semi pro..until he found out that he only got paid if they won. then he also became a High School Coach.

And he loved, loved it. But when he was offered an opportunity to work somewhere else, for better wages, he took it.

Edited by AmberTeka

My Nephew played for an All American Team on the College level.

I would take the cruise.

My husband who went to the U. of Georgia on a full football scholarship, and my Nephew , who graduated on a full football Scholarship....both strongly agree.

Young boys should not play football until they are at least in High School.

My husband started playing in ninth grade. He has never had an injury.

My nephew started playing in elementary school.

He has been operated on...Knees.....has arthritis in some joints.

He is a High School head Football Coach now. Loves, loves the Game. His Son....does not play football. Not until he is in High School..which there is Tenth grade.

I sound like a downer. My Bad. I love Football. I see the Crimson Tide come out and my heart beats. My husband would never have gone to college without football.

But..if I had a son..I would google. I would research. ONE bad injury..and a promising athlete...........is never going to play again. Amateur coaches....no doctor on the sidelines........equipment not good enough.

Take care.

May your little rascals................play in the Super Bowl!!! And be healthy too! Although the Pros.....tough. My husband played semi pro..until he found out that he only got paid if they won. then he also became a High School Coach.

And he loved, loved it. But when he was offered an opportunity to work somewhere else, for better wages, he took it.

UPDATE

They apparently are in High School. they will forget the game on the Cruise. Best thing for them. Out of sight...( home) out of mind.

Wait until their championship game is on TELEVISION. it is agony to watch. You are there with every tackle. My Nephew was an offensive Guard. Busting a hole through the defensive line was his job. And he was good. And big. Six foot four. A knee injury on top of an old knee injury ( done in Pee Wee Football).....ended any chance of the Pros.

And I am glad. He is in enough pain as it is. I don't think I could stand seeing him take that kind of beating in the Pros. Everyone is as big as him......or bigger there.

My husband has a letter from the Dallas Cowboys he received while in High School. You think he does not treasure that?

Football is such a part of our culture. And a good way for Poor kids ( which I know yours are not) to move into good colleges and a good future. It is a great leveler . Everything is on MERIT only. I love football. There. I have run my mouth enough. Happy cruises.

Edited by AmberTeka