Norwegain Sun

sailor925

Well just finished October 20th, 2013 cruise on this Ship. They are not supposed to allow Cigar smoking on the balconies. We had a mid-ship balcony and almost every day the time on the balcony was ruined by heavy cigar smoke from upwind:mad:. No attempt to monitor or prohibit this by the ship. Made the whole balcony experience awful. Best to allow smokers in the cabin only and not on the balconies. Next, the ****s at the check in at Miami made us pour out all our water as its seal was broken. Woman at security said drink it all or pour it out:eek:. Very objectionable and rude. It would have been nice if Norwegian had warned us of this in advance. They even tried to take my wife's Scope mouthwash in the checked bag away as it looked like alcohol but relented after checking it.

All in all a very unhappy experience on Norwegian:mad:.

It is a cut below Royal Caribbean which we have sailed on in the past and will likely use again.

Well just finished October 20th, 2013 cruise on this Ship. They are not supposed to allow Cigar smoking on the balconies. We had a mid-ship balcony and almost every day the time on the balcony was ruined by heavy cigar smoke from upwind:mad:. No attempt to monitor or prohibit this by the ship. Made the whole balcony experience awful. Best to allow smokers in the cabin only and not on the balconies. Next, the ****s at the check in at Miami made us pour out all our water as its seal was broken. Woman at security said drink it all or pour it out:eek:. Very objectionable and rude. It would have been nice if Norwegian had warned us of this in advance. They even tried to take my wife's Scope mouthwash in the checked bag away as it looked like alcohol but relented after checking it.

All in all a very unhappy experience on Norwegian:mad:.

It is a cut below Royal Caribbean which we have sailed on in the past and will likely use again.

I 'm compelled to ask whether or not you mentioned the cigar smoke issue to the staff onboard, and asked them to address the problem?

Also, regarding the issues you encountered at check-in. I'm not sure if you realize that Norwegian has absolutely nothing to do with the rules and regulations you were subjected to. The staff in the embarkation hall all work for the port, not the cruise line.

Sorry you had a less-than-wonderful experience.

I 'm compelled to ask whether or not you mentioned the cigar smoke issue to the staff onboard, and asked them to address the problem?

This was the first question that popped into my mind since the OP never says that he/she reported it.

NCL isn't for everyone. No need to get on the Op's case. It also seem sthey aren't experienced cruisers, so maybe cut them some slack.

Think about it; if every one who posted on Cruise Critic LOVED NCL like we do, what would your cruise fare be?? I wager a lot higher than it is now.

So, let the RCI/CCL/X and Princess cruisers stay happy where they are. It's all good. :)

NCL isn't for everyone. No need to get on the Op's case. It also seem sthey aren't experienced cruisers, so maybe cut them some slack.

Think about it; if every one who posted on Cruise Critic LOVED NCL like we do, what would your cruise fare be?? I wager a lot higher than it is now.

So, let the RCI/CCL/X and Princess cruisers stay happy where they are. It's all good. :)

So true and just think they might get all the best cabins like the aft-balconies and mini suites and all those wonderful suites. :eek: Then what would we do?

OP: Sorry your first experience on an NCL ship wasn't a happy one and perhaps it's not for you but hope you at least enjoyed not having to work every day. Have a better cruise next time with whomever you choose.

I agree, however, I have a problem with this because.......

1. Check-in / Security has NOTHING to do with NCL. That's the Port Authority. Just like security at the airport has nothing to do with the airline you are traveling. The OP might not know this therefore, she can't blame the Ship for that.

2. Cigar smoke coming onto the balcony is a problem, yes. However, I'm wondering if she ever reported it so that NCL could have addressed that.

3. Because of #1 and #2 above did it actually ruin the cruise? What about meeting other passengers, dining, entertainment, port of calls, being away and on vacation, not having to work, seeing new sights, not having to cook, clean, etc. etc. etc.

I do understand the disappointment of not using a balcony that one paid for, but it would take a lot more than that to ruin my cruise.

In addition, OP says she cruised RCL once but didn't post anything good or bad about that.

And, imho, with the time the OP has been a member and this being the first post ever.......I don't know....it simply just hit a nerve of mine!

Harriet

That's ok, OP. There are enough of us who adore the Sun. My Royal cruise was pretty blah. So, different strokes I guess.

I don't care for cogar or pipe aromas either. And as people can legally smoke cigs I know to expect that. But I would be curious how you handled the cigar issue onboard. Did you go "up the chain"? What happened? If you did nothing, I can't see it NCL's fault in any way. But sorry you were affected.

Try Celebrity. Their smoking policy is stricter than NCL. My one cruise on X was very nice.

Happy cruising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Next, the ****s at the check in at Miami made us pour out all our water as its seal was broken. Woman at security said drink it all or pour it out:eek:. Very objectionable and rude..

They won't let you bring water on a plane, either - just a heads-up....

They won't let you bring water on a plane, either - just a heads-up....

But c'mon, there are some differences here. For one, on a plane, you could not bring cases of soda or water. On the cruise ship, the real concern is sneaking your own alcohol onboard. Now if the cruise lines want to not allow any open/unsealed bottles, that is their right, but it's just as easy to tell if the bottle really has water or actually some kind of alcohol, pretty much, just a quick smell of the open bottle will tell the tale.

I was hoping the OP would get back to us. As I asked, if they just made him leave behind any unsealed bottles that is one thing. However, if he had some unsealed and some sealed and they denied all his bottles just because of the unsealed ones, that does not seem right. Not within their policy of allowing your own soda/water. And while we are on that, others have said it is not the cruise line, but the port authorities that made that decision. But then how do you account for different cruise lines have different policies regarding bringing your own soda/water?

But c'mon, there are some differences here. For one, on a plane, you could not bring cases of soda or water. On the cruise ship, the real concern is sneaking your own alcohol onboard. Now if the cruise lines want to not allow any open/unsealed bottles, that is their right, but it's just as easy to tell if the bottle really has water or actually some kind of alcohol, pretty much, just a quick smell of the open bottle will tell the tale.

I was hoping the OP would get back to us. As I asked, if they just made him leave behind any unsealed bottles that is one thing. However, if he had some unsealed and some sealed and they denied all his bottles just because of the unsealed ones, that does not seem right. Not within their policy of allowing your own soda/water. And while we are on that, others have said it is not the cruise line, but the port authorities that made that decision. But then how do you account for different cruise lines have different policies regarding bringing your own soda/water?

She said, 'all our water as its seal was open'. Why would ALL the water's seals be open? That makes me think it might have been one bottle??? I can't see ALL the seals being open on a case of water! LOL

Even if the cruise line allows unopened bottles that still would have nothing to do with the opened bottle.

Guess we'll actually never know the true answer to 'all bottles of water' or just he unsealed bottle of water?

Harriet

She said, 'all our water as its seal was open'. Why would ALL the water's seals be open? That makes me think it might have been one bottle??? I can't see ALL the seals being open on a case of water! LOL

Even if the cruise line allows unopened bottles that still would have nothing to do with the opened bottle.

Guess we'll actually never know the true answer to 'all bottles of water' or just he unsealed bottle of water?

Harriet

I re-read the OP, and it made no mention of a case of water - I assumed they were carrying water bottles that they were drinking from.

There are plenty of venues that don't allow you to bring in unsealed bottles (Hershey Park is the first one that comes to mind).

I agree, however, I have a problem with this because.......

1. Check-in / Security has NOTHING to do with NCL. That's the Port Authority. Just like security at the airport has nothing to do with the airline you are traveling. The OP might not know this therefore, she can't blame the Ship for that.

2. Cigar smoke coming onto the balcony is a problem, yes. However, I'm wondering if she ever reported it so that NCL could have addressed that.

3. Because of #1 and #2 above did it actually ruin the cruise? What about meeting other passengers, dining, entertainment, port of calls, being away and on vacation, not having to work, seeing new sights, not having to cook, clean, etc. etc. etc.

I do understand the disappointment of not using a balcony that one paid for, but it would take a lot more than that to ruin my cruise.

In addition, OP says she cruised RCL once but didn't post anything good or bad about that.

And, imho, with the time the OP has been a member and this being the first post ever.......I don't know....it simply just hit a nerve of mine!

Harriet

Inexperience....that's all.