Beware when you purchase a watch

fish2#

I considered purchasing a Citizen Eco-Drive watch onboard at a price considerably less than I would have paid in Canada (or the US), but finally bought one in Aruba. The price there was the same, but they carried a model with a slight difference in finish that I preferred. Otherwise, I would have happily bought onboard.

My husband bought a Citizen Eco-Drive onboard (don't recall what ship). It was a good price too. I bought a Skagen on a Norwegian cruise for about $100. I thought I got a good deal, but it was $75 on the internet. It still runs and looks great though.

LOL -- DH won a cheap watch at an RC jewelry-shop raffle, years ago. It still runs great, and he routinely brings his "lucky travel watch" on cruises. ;)

Generally speaking though, I agree with the sentiment that making any large jewelry/watch purchase on a cruise is not not a good idea. Too many things can go wrong, leaving the purchaser with little or no recourse.

Edited by wwcruisers

LOL -- DH won a cheap watch at an RC jewelry-shop raffle, years ago. It still runs great, and he routinely brings his "lucky travel watch" on cruises. ;)

Generally speaking though, I agree with the sentiment that making any large jewelry/watch purchase on a cruise is not not a good idea. Too many things can go wrong, leaving the purchaser with little or no recourse.

I'm not sure what it is that can go wrong, leaving the purchaser with no recourse. In the case of quality watches from any of the reputable manufacturers, they come with the same warranty as one purchased at home. Am I missing something here? :confused:

I'm not sure what it is that can go wrong, leaving the purchaser with no recourse. In the case of quality watches from any of the reputable manufacturers, they come with the same warranty as one purchased at home. Am I missing something here? :confused:

You make a very good point about the good watches having good warranties. But, as one person pointed out here, if you haven't done your homework, you might not be getting as good a bargain on that pricey watch as you had thought. Sadly, there is not warranty for buyer's remorse.

Edited by wwcruisers

You make a very good point about the good watches having good warranties. But, as one person pointed out here, if you haven't done your homework, you might not be getting as good a bargain on that pricey watch as you had thought. Sadly, there is not warranty for buyer's remorse.

Oh so true!

I was looking at Citizen Eco Drive watches. The price on the ship seemed good until I realized that the band was not Titanium. That makes a $75 difference. So you have to know your products and prices. Also, on one ship, they would not size it for you. Things to consider.

At least with watches you can pick out model, do your homework before leaving home, and know that the shipboard price (in the unlikely event the ship carries your exact model) is reasonable. Jewelry, on the other hand, poses insurmountable problems for the layman. My wife never buys any jewelry worth more than a few hundred dollars. She prefers to get stung on some Caribbean island she won't revisit for a year or so.:)

We had an issue with a watch purchased on board. We contacted Celebrity customer service and were told this is not covered under their program. We were told to contact the manufacturer. Seems like there should have been a sign about this on the counter where watches are sold. :(

I can't believe with all these posts in reply, no one welcomed you to Cruise Critic. So, I will and congratulate you on your first post. It would be helpful to provide some additional information, such as whether you bought the watch as a $10 sale or from one of the stores on board. What kind of problem are you having with the watch? Is the watch a name brand and did it come with a warranty? With this information, perhaps one of the readers here will be able to help you. Welcome again.