Summit - B2B - Nov 2 and 9, 2013 - San Juan

AlbertaCruisers

Hi Everyone,

So, this is not a review, but some random thoughts from our cruise. As background, we have cruised about 19 times, but this is our 3rd with Celebrity. We did 14 days on the Connie and 14 days on the Eclipse this past April. We loved the Eclipse! We had originally booked the RCI Jewel back to back in this same time period, but then the 123 Go sale came up and we switched over to the Summit back to back – Nov 2 and 9, 2013 from San Juan. (the formatting was much prettier in the word document I typed this in!)

1. We loved the Summit and loved this cruise. We look forward to doing it again next November! (and for 1 week this Jan).

a. We had been on the Eclipse last, so yes this ship was older, but it did not affect my cruise experience. Just don’t go on expecting it to be sparkling, modern and new like the S Class Ships. Maybe I don’t look at the rugs, etc. enough, but I didn’t have any issue with the age of the ship.

b. I was surprised at how much this cruise felt the same as the Eclipse in terms of spaces, people and crowds. I think that actually says a lot for the Eclipse and how uncrowded it felt since this ship is smaller.

2. Embarkation

a. Very easy process.

b. We got there at 10 (we were the first in line) and were told they wouldn’t start the process until 11:30, it was about 11:00 when they opened the doors (you stand outside until that point), we did security, checked in and walked onto the ship. About 15 minutes total.

c. Found out the next Saturday when doing our change over day on the Back to Back that the Back to Back people meet at 10:00 to walk off the ship, have the custom’s guy check our passport and get our new cards (very easy process).

d. I am guessing that embarkation on Nov 16 may have started a bit later as we were tag 22 and we were still on the ship at about 9:50 and there were 27 tags.

e. The buffet was not busy on embarkation day. I think because of the late sail away people were more staggered getting on the ship.

f. The muster drill was at 7:45 and we sailed at 8:30.

3. Drink Package

a. We had the classic package for free with 123 Go and upgraded us both to premium in advance by phone directly with Celebrity.

b. Online before the cruise it showed the Wave promo with classic for free and the upgrade to premium, when we go on board our cards had both “CALL” (being the Classic package) and “PALL” (being the Premium package), it didn’t cause any confusion. The person that upgraded us last April took off the reference the classic package so our cards only showed PALL but the person for this cruise didn’t do that.

c. We had no service issues at all. I would say on the Nov 2 sailing tons of people had the drink packages. I saw almost no one having to sign any slips. On Nov 9 there were more people signing, so maybe a few less packages. I didn’t notice a difference of service on either sailing. BUT, if you go to the martini bar during high times be ready to wait, it is a very busy place! (from our experience that has nothing to do with drink packages, it is just a popular place).

d. I found out late into the cruise that the yogurt parfaits they make in the Aqua spa restaurant area are included in the drink package. They are $5 but they ring them in as an energy drink so they are included. I didn’t ask if they would be included in the Classic package. Since they aren’t a “drink”, I never even considered that they would be included.

e. We love the drink package!

4. Room – Changing for second week

a. We had originally booked 3144 (ocean view category 6 for both weeks). The balcony guarantee for both weeks came down to a very reasonable price just before sailing (really the same price as we could have got a 2C back when we booked in early Jan, but at that time we decided on the ocean view instead). At first we were told that changing to the guarantee would mean we lose the 123 Go sale, but I followed up with a very helpful lady at Captains club who looked into it and confirmed we could upgrade to the guarantee and keep the 123 Go sale, and it all worked out in the end.

b. We ended up with 6065 for the first week (2B?) and 7173 (2A?) for the second week. The rooms were identical, but 6065 had a broken shower head and terrible water pressure and 7173 had proper water pressure and a working shower head! Yes, I know I should have told them about the shower head, but the room steward cleaned the shower every day and clearly knew it was broken as they moved it every day, so I figured maybe there was nothing they could do about it?.

c. The other difference was that 7173 had a slightly larger balcony. The little bit more space out there was nice, but the furniture is the same. I would not pay extra for that little larger balcony.

d. The views were similar. 6065 has lifeboats below but they don’t really interfere with your view. 7173 has a suite and another room below that similarly block your view of the water as the life boat did.

e. 2 days before our move we got a letter with instructions (kind of) in relation to the back to back process and our move. The letter only said if you are changing rooms you need to arrange it with your room steward and be moved by 8:30. I spoke to our current room steward and he said he would get one of the carts to hang our cloths on and he would contact the new room steward. The night before, right before dinner, we went up to the new room and found the new room steward and let her know what was going on. They were both very positive that the move would be fine.

i. We packed our stuff that morning (quick and easy pack job as it was only moving a floor, etc.) and left our hanging stuff in the closet.

ii. At about 8 I went out to ask our current guy what was happening and he said he would call the new people. At about 8:30 he came with a cart (that didn’t have the hooks for the hangers, so he left and came back with another one). He hung our cloths, and the assistant took our suit cases on one of the porter type carts and we all walked up to the new room.

iii. The new room was not ready, the old people had just left, but the room stewards had quickly stripped it and the safe was open.

iv. They hung our stuff up, we put our valuables in the safe and locked it, and our carry ons and other loose items on the couch.

v. We left our 3 large suitcases in the hall and our new room steward confirmed once the room was cleaned she would put them inside (which she did).

vi. We kept our passports in a ziplock bag with us, did the walk off the ship to do customs and get our new cards and then headed to the pool until the rooms were ready at about 1:00 (the doors are across the hall so we couldn’t access our room before that, but we didn’t ask). Our stuff was inside so we quickly unpacked and enjoyed the rest of the day.

5. Normadie

a. We had done Qsine on the Eclipse with our friends (we got 2 for 1 on the first night of the cruise). I loved it but my husband didn’t really like it and it is better with more people, so we didn’t plan to do it this trip.

b. We had not planned to do Normadie either, but thought if we could get 2 for 1 the first night we would try. The first day they were offering 2 for 1 for Qsine, but my husband asked about the cost for Normadie and they said 20% off, so we decided not to try.

c. The first day of the second week, later in the afternoon, my husband went to the table they had set up on deck 10 by the buffet and asked if we could get 2 for 1 for Normadie that night and they said yes! For $45 supper at Normadie was amazing. I highly recommend the Scallop and the Lobster!

6. Disembarkation – They must have been a bit behind for some reason. We were tag 22 at 9:25 and didn’t leave the ship until closer to 9:50. The 2 customs lines were huge! If you are in a rush, get a porter because they skip the line and take you to the wheel chair/porter line that is much quicker.

7. Some Random Thoughts:

a. There was music at the pool most days, usually the current hits. On the Eclipse we mainly stayed on the upper deck and never heard any music. This time I was on the main pool deck most days and there was music, but I liked it. Good background noise while I read!

b. I read something here before I left about confusion as to whether or not there was a bar in the buffet area. There is a small bar on the port side (opposite side from the ice cream bar) as you are walking forward out of the buffet towards the pool. There is pop, water, orange juice, and I think wine there. Somewhat limited, but convenient.

c. In the dining room if you order the everyday cheese cake you can order caramel and chocolate sauce!

d. Some random guy in the hot tub one day said he worked for Celebrity and they heard that later this month another wave promo is coming (and he implied it would include the drink packages again). I’m guessing after Nov 24 when the current promo is done.

I can try and answer any questions you may have.

Sue

Also, I forgot to mention, we had late dining and it was listed as 8:30 and was that in the first daily, but at some point after that they changed it to 8:45 and it appears that on the Summit in the Caribbean this season at least it will likely stay that way. Someone had some reason, but I didn't pay that close of attention.

Also, I forgot to mention, we had late dining and it was listed as 8:30 and was that in the first daily, but at some point after that they changed it to 8:45 and it appears that on the Summit in the Caribbean this season at least it will likely stay that way. Someone had some reason, but I didn't pay that close of attention.

Great comments, thanks for posting. We are on the Summit Feb 2014, late dining.

I'm a morning person and tend to get sleepy faced by 10pm (especially with beverage package).

The later 8:45 time slot for dining may mean I'm napping during desert. :).

We have one of the Sweet 16s booked for our 1 week (lucky you B2B). I'm wondering if we are looking at lifeboats and not the ocean when we look down.

We've only cruised Princess before and I'm concerned that I will be disappointed with Summit, especially the pool. I'm interested in hearing your comments on the pool area. Personally I too enjoy music to read by, and especially Caribbean music while I sip my cocktails.

Thanks for your comments!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I did like the pool area better than the Eclipse. The main pool deck on 10 has the padded lounge chairs that were nice and has the two pools. The deep pool seemed bigger than the only pool outside on the Eclipse and then they had the 4 foot deep pool with the nice shallow edges you could sit in. That was nice to sit in and read my ebook on the port days we didn't get off and the pool was quiet. The chairs between the two pools are nice. They are kind of raised up and there is a bit more room up there if you can get a chair there.

There are also some comfy looking chairs with pillows, but people said the cushions (kind of rubbery) get hot and stinky!!

I didn't go in the T-Pool at all, lots of people love it but others don't like that it is so warm. Some of the chairs in there didn't look as comfortable (the ones on the Eclipse were very nice inside).

The one disappointing thing is the deck chairs up on deck 11 are just the regular ones, not padded. On the Eclipse they were all padded, so you could be up on the second level and still have the nice padded chair.

Sue

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

We have one of the Sweet 16s booked for our 1 week (lucky you B2B). I'm wondering if we are looking at lifeboats and not the ocean when we look down.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, the Sweet 16s are at the front, in front of the life boats, I think you will have a view to the water below you. We have a Sweet 16 booked in January 2014 for a week (and our Nov 2014 B2B) and I am excited about it. I really liked the front of deck 6, it seemed very convenient.

As for Princess, we have sailed on Princess and I rate Celebrity higher in every way. I hope you love the Summit!

Sue

Great comments, thanks for posting. We are on the Summit Feb 2014, late dining.

I'm a morning person and tend to get sleepy faced by 10pm (especially with beverage package).

The later 8:45 time slot for dining may mean I'm napping during desert. :).

We've only cruised Princess before and I'm concerned that I will be disappointed with Summit, especially the pool. I'm interested in hearing your comments on the pool area. Personally I too enjoy music to read by, and especially Caribbean music while I sip my cocktails.

Thanks for your comments!

Why don't you try Select seating. It works well. If you like a certain time or area you can make arrangements for the table to sit at. Also going around 6:30-6:45pm there are no lines.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, the Sweet 16s are at the front, in front of the life boats, I think you will have a view to the water below you. We have a Sweet 16 booked in January 2014 for a week (and our Nov 2014 B2B) and I am excited about it. I really liked the front of deck 6, it seemed very convenient.

As for Princess, we have sailed on Princess and I rate Celebrity higher in every way. I hope you love the Summit!

Sue

Wow, ok so you rate Celebrity higher than Princess. That's very encouraging. I think I'm going to enjoy the Summit in a huge way. Thanks for comments on the position of lifeboats under the Sweet 16s and especially the extra description of the pools. I have noticed numerous references to T pool but it's inside which seems not as enticing. We may also choose to stay aboard during some port visits on this trip. Beach in the mornings then just come back aboard for cocktails by the pool and relaxing lunches. Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app