bahamas...whats the cheapest way to just go lay on a beach

lavelle222

Junkanoo Beach in Nassau is within walking distance. You have to walk towards Senor Frogs and then continue around it. Just follow the sidewalk and you will get there. It's a bit of a walk but its not too bad.

Our experience was okay, the water was good and you have a great view of the ships in port.

The downside, (not really that bad but it's something you might want to consider) there were a lot of locals there. We felt "watched" at times and some little girls kept swimming around me making references to my wedding rings. It was kind of creepy but just don't bring anything too valuable with you and you should be fine. :)

in nassau you can walk to junkanoo beach it is a free beach and is nice. also has restrooms and bar/restaurants. when you get off boat just turn right and follow the sidewalk it will take you to the beach. there will also be signs.

Sailing the Pride out of Baltimore. Just want to go lay on a beach in the 2 Bahama ports, not pay for an excursion. What do you recommend

I think Cabbage Beach and Junkanoo Beach are free in Nassau and there is a Junkanoo in Freeport as well if my memory is correct.

Post your question here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58 and Scubagirrl will probably answer you. She knows all the ins and outs of Nassau.

Bill

I am one of those people who went to Junkanoo Beach, but will not go back. The day we were there the beach was dirty and there were some very shady people hanging around.......we too felt "watched". The bathrooms were flooded and just plain nasty.

The sidewalk to get there was very broken in places making it difficult for some of the handicap people to manuver.

If we ever go back to a beach in Nassau we will pay the $25pp and go to the Sheraton.

I am one of those people who went to Junkanoo Beach, but will not go back. The day we were there the beach was dirty and there were some very shady people hanging around.......we too felt "watched". The bathrooms were flooded and just plain nasty.

The sidewalk to get there was very broken in places making it difficult for some of the handicap people to manuver.

If we ever go back to a beach in Nassau we will pay the $25pp and go to the Sheraton.

I have heard of many similar reports about Junkanoo. I have never been there. Used to always go to the Wyndham but I think CCL does all the day passes there with inflated prices.

Did Breezes once. That was very good.

Bill

Sheraton is $30 now but well worth it.

Cabbage Beach is free but you'll need to take a taxi to get there ($4 a person plus tip). You can rent beach chairs and there are some vendors selling drinks, beach massages, jet ski rides, etc. The beach is really beautiful but be aware that on some days it can be very rough and too dangerous for swimming. Also, there are no bathroom facilities.

I agree that Sheraton is the way to go. :)

I second the Sheraton..I mean 3rd, or 4th.. ;). You can take the #10 jitney at the stop behind Senior Frogs on Bay Street for a couple of bucks and purchase the day pass right at the front desk.

Edited by rrraydon

• 3 weeks later...

Cheapest is Junkanoo...no cost to get there and no cost to lie on the beach.

That really is the answer to the op's question. Well at least for the Nassau port stop anyways...lol.

Everything else is based on people's experience or preference's.

I had a great time there and will be going back no questions asked and recomend it !

Edited by monctonguy

I went to Junkanoo in Oct. and loved it. The water was gorgeous the guy even brought drinks out to us. Took the bus after to the fish fry and had great food. Cheapest day ever spent in any port. There is also a new Fat Tuesday's right by Junkanoo. Going back this weekend and taking my daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard recently that the Sheraton was under new management. The person who told me was not sure whether the $30. day pass was still going to be in effect in 2014…

Does anyone know for sure?

As well, concerning Cabbage Beach, where do you find the $3-$4 taxi mentioned earlier in this thread?

Edited by 2CoolCanucks

I heard recently that the Sheraton was under new management. The person who told me was not sure whether the $30. day pass was still going to be in effect in 2014…

Does anyone know for sure?

As well, concerning Cabbage Beach, where do you find the $3-$4 taxi mentioned earlier in this thread?

Walk through the visitors center at the end of the pier and drivers will be waiting. When leaving Cabbage Beach walk to the front of RIU Hotel for cabs.

It's $4 a person to go to Cabbage Beach because you'll be sharing a cab. On the way back, you'll probably have your own cab and will pay a little more. I believe we paid $11 for two people last time.

Was at Junkanoo beach 2 weeks ago. It was a weekend and pretty busy. The spot in the sand was free and it was a short walk from the ship. Since we were only in port a few hours it fit the bill. We stayed just a couple of hours and went back to the ship.

Just wanted to clarify because I have seen posts that it is a short walk and others that it is a bit of a walk. My husband doesn't like to walk too far and I am wondering if we would need to get a cab. Is it a half mile? Longer?