No longer loyal to Royal... just booked a 14 nighter transatlantic on Norwegian Epic

voyager89

Having only one cruise under my sleeve (Oasis) and an upcoming one (Jewel) I think this is the perfect time to try other lines, while I hate going on such a long cruise that wont count towards my C&A status :D

We are taking the NCL´s Epic from Barcelona to Miami in almost a year. Visiting Funchal Madeira and St Maarten / St Thomas (third time by then in SM, second in ST) Of course the destinations are the ship, Barcelona (first time there) and Miami (second)

We dont do MTD so the freestyle concept is perfect for us. The ship looks terrific, but I am not sure if it will beat Oasis!

I have seen several RCI people do not like NCL at all. I was hoping to see if there is somebody here that enjoys both lines.

Not sure what you are saying with

We dont do MTD so the freestyle concept is perfect for us.

MTD is sorta RCI´s Version of Freestyle, but then IME MTD on RCI actually works, while Freestyle on NCL was the worst I´ve ever experienced on any ship.

My NCL cruise wasn´t bad - I´ve never had a bad cruise - but out of all my Cruises and all the cruise lines I´ve been on NCL certainly ranks way way way at the bottom.

was on the Epic last December. great entertainment, but didn't like the cabin... had a balcony but cabin was too narrow and didn't like the bathroom setup......as you walk into the cabin shower is on the left,toilet on the right,and the sink is in the open on the left. i'll stick with RCI but any cruise is great.

We sailed NCL many times and never ever had a bad time. I love Royal for many reasons and will stick with them but you won't have a bad time. The Epic I'm sure is a great ship and you'll have a terrific time. One thing I really like about NCL is the relaxed Dress code. My favorite expression I'm on vacation not display!

Edited by smeck

Not sure what you are saying with

MTD is sorta RCI´s Version of Freestyle, but then IME MTD on RCI actually works, while Freestyle on NCL was the worst I´ve ever experienced on any ship.

My NCL cruise wasn´t bad - I´ve never had a bad cruise - but out of all my Cruises and all the cruise lines I´ve been on NCL certainly ranks way way way at the bottom.

I agree about not understanding what they are saying. Maybe they meant to say MDR.

If their question was posted on the NCL board, I'm sure they would get the exact opposite opinion of your experience with MTD and Freestyle.:D

I´m sorry I meant we dont use the MDR :p

The only thing I am not a fan of yet is that there are A LOT of pay restaurants, looks like most of them are. The complimentary restaurants dont even have a name lol. Its ok in the end we are buffet people :D and that pool grill looks great.

Its a long way to go, I know I shouldnt even be worried about this yet. Jewel of the Seas in January is coming up first!! :cool:

I´m sorry I meant we dont use the MDR :p

The only thing I am not a fan of yet is that there are A LOT of pay restaurants, looks like most of them are. The complimentary restaurants dont even have a name lol. Its ok in the end we are buffet people :D and that pool grill looks great.

Its a long way to go, I know I shouldnt even be worried about this yet. Jewel of the Seas in January is coming up first!! :cool:

Always good to try something new. We just tried Celebrity this year (I hadn't been since the 90s) and we're trying Norwegian Breakaway next year after a May cruise on Allure. So far Royal's still our favorite but it's always nice to have other options to change up every once in a while! We used to enjoy Carnival occasionally but don't like recent changes to their product and found Celebrity a little quiet for us, so we're really hoping we enjoy Norwegian.

Just did the Epic TA

Great time, good food, best buffet at sea.

The Churrascaria (Moderno) is better than RCCL's Samba grill

Le bistro and Teppanyaki is a must do.

The Italian restaurant was good and a great place to eat breakfast and lunch from the buffet

Osheehans is a great non fee food choice 24/7

If you have to wait for a table in the MDR they give you a pager and buy you a glass of champagne.

I did miss not having same waiter everynight in the MDR.

They will not take reservations for the MDR like RCCL will for MTD

The cabin setup for the bathroom is weird but this was our second time on the Epic and it actually worked out better this time.

Last time we had a regular balcony this time we did a minisuite

The cabin is a little wider with a lots and lots of storage.

If you can book a mini suite cat MC or MA

These have a bathtub that are longer than the ones ive experienced on RCCL

The sink is next to the sofa which makes for easier maneuvering

Also the balcony fits 2 loungers

Barcelona is a great city to explore. I can tell you about wonderfull Tappas at Bodega Barritz 1881. They had a goat cheese pastry that was to die for

Funchal reminds me a little of Hawaii.

There is an good seafood restaurant not to far from the port called Estrella do Mar.

We had the local fish Espada Preta that they had just caught fresh that morning. We saw the fishing boat returning from our balcony.

It was almost the same texture as Chilean sea bass

Also Blandys wine lodge for some Madiera wine:D

Having only one cruise under my sleeve (Oasis) and an upcoming one (Jewel) I think this is the perfect time to try other lines, while I hate going on such a long cruise that wont count towards my C&A status :D

We are taking the NCL´s Epic from Barcelona to Miami in almost a year. Visiting Funchal Madeira and St Maarten / St Thomas (third time by then in SM, second in ST) Of course the destinations are the ship, Barcelona (first time there) and Miami (second)

We dont do MTD so the freestyle concept is perfect for us. The ship looks terrific, but I am not sure if it will beat Oasis!

I have seen several RCI people do not like NCL at all. I was hoping to see if there is somebody here that enjoys both lines.

As I looked at the title of this thread, I thought I was going to be reading about a long-time Royal Caribbean cruiser who had such a terrible experience that they were 'jumping ship' and cruising on another line.

All you are doing is, exploring other options you have....and that is good for you.

DH and I have cruised on Royal many times, and this past July was on Jewel. You will have a great time on it.

We are jumping on Majesty of the Seas for a short weekend cruise -- it is easy for us, since we live in S. Florida.

Enjoy whatever cruises you go on.

From what you describe, I don't think what RC offers is a great fit for you anyway. The only problem is the extra money you will be paying for all the optional dining venues.

Edited by PSCruiser
misunderstood original post

Guest maddycat

We've sailed on Costa, Princess, NCL, Celebrity and RCI. NCL is not a good fit for us and we will never sail with them agian. RCI is our favorite and Celebrity is a close second. I'm interested in reading about your experience when you return from the Epic. Please post a review comparing NCL to RCI.

While there are some fabulous dining venues you can pay for on NCL, the food in the main dining room and buffet is very good. I might say it was better than RC food, and you can just walk into the restaurant any time you want to. Have fun on NCL, as many have said any cruise is a good cruise!:)

. . .

Visiting Funchal Madeira and St Maarten / St Thomas (third time by then in SM, second in ST) Of course the destinations are the ship, Barcelona (first time there) and Miami (second). . .

Never been to St Maarten/St Thomas but don't sell Funchal short. We had a great day there.

Somewhat ironic - we recently cancelled our booking on that TA and rebooked on the Indy out of Southampton!

Having sailed with both NCL and RCCL, our preference is RCCL, however the deals for the Epic are outstanding. We found a minisuite for $909 pp, which is why we originally booked. It took a very good offer (OBC and drink package) for us to switch.

That said, I think you are doing a good thing in checking out other cruiselines and ships - you never know if you're going to like it if you don't try it! I really like the freestyle dining and lack of formal nights, but prefer RCCL's ships. It never hurts to look for a better deal; and it will take me so long to get up there in the loyalty programs that I don't really think about it very often.

you've seen what it looks like... right? Man that is one ugly ship ;)

IMG_1176.jpg

I sure have! and I will sure I ride those slides every single day for two weeks! :D

Never been to St Maarten/St Thomas but don't sell Funchal short. We had a great day there.

Oh not at all! I am really really excited to go there!!

I was thinking of booking only smaller ships now. However the price was insane. NCL website was giving me $1400 for the both of us on a guarantee inside. For some reason I went to Jetblue cruises and got it for $1200 :eek: Thats what we paid for a week on the Jewel! Plus a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries :o I couldnt pass on that!

Besides wanting to try NCL since I saw one of their ships in Nassau (I was super jealous of those slides - not sure what ship it was) we couldnt do a transatlantic with Royal around that date. Only Liberty (not excited about it) and Oasis (super expensive :eek: ) were coming to America.

I will for sure do a review. Will do one on the Jewel as well when I come back =)

Must be a funny review with 2 twenty-something mexican guys sailing out of San Juan LOL

Somewhat ironic - we recently cancelled our booking on that TA and rebooked on the Indy out of Southampton!

Having sailed with both NCL and RCCL, our preference is RCCL, however the deals for the Epic are outstanding. We found a minisuite for $909 pp, which is why we originally booked. It took a very good offer (OBC and drink package) for us to switch.

That said, I think you are doing a good thing in checking out other cruiselines and ships - you never know if you're going to like it if you don't try it! I really like the freestyle dining and lack of formal nights, but prefer RCCL's ships. It never hurts to look for a better deal; and it will take me so long to get up there in the loyalty programs that I don't really think about it very often.

Oh no... I wish I had that cabin haha but we only book inside cabins... I cant deny that I would love a balcony but to be honest we dont spend time on the cabin during the day at all. Besides of course the money factor. Flying out to Mexico to go anywhere is really expensive. I dont even know how are we going to pay for flights to Barcelona :(

I also looked at your sailing, but somehow I am not a fan of the Liberty class. Probably because I have the idea they are Oasis with no neighbourhoods, and I dont see myself sailing on a ship I have sailed before... but thats just me. That bargain I got on the Epic + wanting to try NCL just met for me haha so that was just perfect

. . .

Oh not at all! I am really really excited to go there!!

. . .

Madeira is one of those places I seem to find on every cruise that I never would have gone if it hadn't been on the itinerary -- but was very glad I did. Our Independence TA had two of those -- the Azores and two days later, Madeira. We did Funchal on our own. We took the cable car up and the baskets down [hey, if you like water slides, you've gotta try this] and then walked around the City, had lunch and went through the market. DW and some of the women in our roll call group went to Ried's Palace for tea and had a great time.

Interestingly, Madeira was not on the original itinerary. The cruise [eastbound, Ft Lauderdale to Southampton] was originally supposed to stop in Cherbourg and I wanted to tour the D-Day sites -- that is why we booked. We booked in February 14 months before the cruise in April of the following year. Literally the day after we booked the itinerary changed and dropped Cherbourg and Lisbon, adding only Madeira in place of these two. I was outraged and we almost canceled -- until I realized we could cross the channel at the end of the cruise relatively cheaply and spend 2+ days in Normandy instead of 8 hours. Plus we got to tour the Royal Navy museum [including HMS Victory] in Portsmouth while waiting for the ferry and a full day in Paris before flying out.

Long winded way of saying every port of call can be special. We met our best cruising friends through this cruise and the connections we made as a result.

Get invovled in your roll call -- the TA groups tend to be very active.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by mjldvlks

Madeira is one of those places I seem to find on every cruise that I never would have gone if it hadn't been on the itinerary -- but was very glad I did. Our Independence TA had two of those -- the Azores and two days later, Madeira. We did Funchal on our own. We took the cable car up and the baskets down [hey, if you like water slides, you've gotta try this] and then walked around the City, had lunch and went through the market. DW and some of the women in our roll call group went to Ried's Palace for tea and had a great time.

Interestingly, Madeira was not on the original itinerary. The cruise [eastbound, Ft Lauderdale to Southampton] was originally supposed to stop in Cherbourg and I wanted to tour the D-Day sites -- that is why we booked. We booked in February 14 months before the cruise in April of the following year. Literally the day after we booked the itinerary changed and dropped Cherbourg and Lisbon, adding only Madeira in place of these two. I was outraged and we almost canceled -- until I realized we could cross the channel at the end of the cruise relatively cheaply and spend 2+ days in Normandy instead of 8 hours. Plus we got to tour the Royal Navy museum [including HMS Victory] in Portsmouth while waiting for the ferry and a full day in Paris before flying out.

Long winded way of saying every port of call can be special. We met our best cruising friends through this cruise and the connections we made as a result.

Get invovled in your roll call -- the TA groups tend to be very active.

Have a great cruise.

Thanks for the suggestions!! I really really wish my itinerary had Azores as well. I guess only transatlantics stop by. Maybe in a future... But I am sure Madeira will not dissapoint!

you've seen what it looks like... right? Man that is one ugly ship ;)

IMG_1176.jpg

See I will definitely be in the minority here but I think NCL Epic is the best looking ship on the seas. There is something very Nordic about the way she looks. Royal's ships have great curves, but I love the blocky ruggedness of the Epic. I wish they had built a couple more versions of epic but that ain't happening. I'll get on NCL Epic one of these days.

We were on the Adventure of the Seas in Nov 2012 for a Halloween cruise to the Canary Islands. We were in an Owners Suite. Not thrilled with AOS so don't plan another cruise on the AOS. We were on the Mariner of the Seas for New Years 2013. We were in a Grand Suite and LOVED it! I was on a girls cruise on the Epic for Easter 2013. I was in a Studio.....LOVED it! In May we were on the Oasis of the Seas in a Central Park View. Ship is too much for us but had a great time excluding the MDR. We are booked on the Breakaway for cruise to Bermuda. We're booked in an aft suite. Long story short, I had more fun in an NCL studio than I had in a RCL Owners Suite. Every cruise is different...maybe the chemistry of the passengers and crew.

We were on the Adventure of the Seas in Nov 2012 for a Halloween cruise to the Canary Islands. We were in an Owners Suite. Not thrilled with AOS so don't plan another cruise on the AOS. We were on the Mariner of the Seas for New Years 2013. We were in a Grand Suite and LOVED it! I was on a girls cruise on the Epic for Easter 2013. I was in a Studio.....LOVED it! In May we were on the Oasis of the Seas in a Central Park View. Ship is too much for us but had a great time excluding the MDR. We are booked on the Breakaway for cruise to Bermuda. We're booked in an aft suite. Long story short, I had more fun in an NCL studio than I had in a RCL Owners Suite. Every cruise is different...maybe the chemistry of the passengers and crew.

I was going to book the Adventure for January out of San Juan, however we ended up going for the Jewel. It is not a newborn, however Adventure is older, and I was not sure I would get to love it. I am glad I didnt go for AOS! :D

I am curious, how is the AOS different to Mariner?

You won't be disappointed! We did the Epic last fall for a week in the Med and wished we had more time so ... we booked the same TA as you for next October, but going out of Rome for the 18 days.

The entertainment was great, the Spec dining venues were excellent, and the Outdoor Café buffet better than any other IMHO.

We only ate once in Taste but it was good also.

We have been loyal as well but I need to spread my wings a little!