Advice needed

The Fox

Hi All,

I have been asked a question that I cannot answer.There is a group of 22 of us sailing on Rhapsody next week....some are reqular cruisers some first timers.I was asked that if you purchase any electrical appliances in Vila what power source they use.....can they be played in Australia using our power supply of 240 volts.

Having never purchased anything electrical in Vila I could not answer the question.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Col:)

Hi All,

I have been asked a question that I cannot answer.There is a group of 22 of us sailing on Rhapsody next week....some are reqular cruisers some first timers.I was asked that if you purchase any electrical appliances in Vila what power source they use.....can they be played in Australia using our power supply of 240 volts.

Having never purchased anything electrical in Vila I could not answer the question.

Kind regards

Here in Vila we have the same powerpoints as in Australia and power is 240 volts.

However, the type of plug that comes with appliances that are bought here will either be Australian or Chinese, depending on the shop you buy from. All items with a Chinese plug come with the plug converter for free.

Here in Vila we have the same powerpoints as in Australia and power is 240 volts.

However, the type of plug that comes with appliances that are bought here will either be Australian or Chinese, depending on the shop you buy from. All items with a Chinese plug come with the plug converter for free.

Thank you so much.Your advice is much appreciated.

Hi All,

Kind regards

buying something from overseas if anything goes wrong it could be a hassle sending it back to get fixed....have you priced the same thing here at a b&m shop

buying something from overseas if anything goes wrong it could be a hassle sending it back to get fixed....have you priced the same thing here at a b&m shop

I agree. I would only buy something that is covered by an international manufacturers warranty unless it was so cheap that it was worth the risk.

I don't think the prices on electrical goods in Vila would be any better than in Australia, and they might be much higher. It would be better to buy here at one of our larger electrical stores and then get the GST refunded under the Traveller Refund Scheme if the purchase is more than $300.

I don't think the prices on electrical goods in Vila would be any better than in Australia, and they might be much higher. It would be better to buy here at one of our larger electrical stores and then get the GST refunded under the Traveller Refund Scheme if the purchase is more than $300.

I'd also agree, that I don't think it's a good idea if you're just buying there as you think it's cheaper.

Cheaper electrical stuff overseas is often only cheaper as it hasn't been certified for standards (and is often not compliant). The branded stuff e.g. Tefal usually isn't any cheaper, and often dearer than finding it on special locally.

Another point - When we have been to Vila over the recent years we haven't seen electrical equipment for sale in any quantity in the duty free stores. If the prices were good, there would be a market for it, and there would be goods for sale.