Did Carnival get hacked?

agc291

I am very concerned. We recently booked with Carnival for our Feb cruise. A 800 # kept calling my phone during work yesterday, but wasnt coming up as Miami. I googled the # and see that there seems to be some sort of scam going. They evidently use some technology to make the caller ID come up as any # they want (Carnival's) and are calling asking for CC info for sail & sign accounts. I would never fall for such a thing and I always use cash for our accounts but I am concerned as to how they pulled my # and knew I was sailing Carnival soon.:confused:

I called Carnival back today to confirm they didnt need any additional info from me and they said that there is no notes in my history. Anything like this happening or has happened to anyone else?

I am very concerned. We recently booked with Carnival for our Feb cruise. A 800 # kept calling my phone during work yesterday, but wasnt coming up as Miami. I googled the # and see that there seems to be some sort of scam going. They evidently use some technology to make the caller ID come up as any # they want (Carnival's) and are calling asking for CC info for sail & sign accounts. I would never fall for such a thing and I always use cash for our accounts but I am concerned as to how they pulled my # and knew I was sailing Carnival soon.:confused:

I called Carnival back today to confirm they didnt need any additional info from me and they said that there is no notes in my history. Anything like this happening or has happened to anyone else?

Has not happened to me but you are right to be spooked. I do computer security and the "hackers" are getting very bright (and dumb at the same time) with their scams. Unless you start a phone call (like to Carnival) be very wary of giving out info. Never respond to an email wanting personal info, ID's, numbers, whatever.

Glad you realized it!

also a word to the wise when staying at hotels. The front desk will NEVER call your room and ask you for your credit card number.

There had been in the past that especially with hotels that you do not have to go thru the front desk can access the rooms by the system. they will call up and say that there was a problem with your card and could you read it back to them.

At our property, if we notice a problem with the guest's card after they leave to go to their room. we will call and say their card is not authorizing. If they wish to give us a different card to please come to the desk. Or notify their bank theres an issue and to call us back.

OP I'm glad you realized this was a scam. too many ppl will think things like this is true without verifying it. This would be scary for first time cruisers especially as other cruisers who have cruised before know that its only when we do our online check in do we put in our card information.

You can expect these calls to begin about 10 minutes after visiting the Carnival website. The number will show was private or 000-000-0000. So, just brace yourself and try to complete your travel information as quick as possible.

I received two calls fro the 800-227-6482 yesterday and I didn't answer the calls. Good thing. Thanks OP for the warning!

This the #. If you call it back it goes to Carnivals line.

In response to an earlier post, no I didnt speak to anyone when they tried to call. I was in a meeting at work and when I called back it to me to a Carnival rep. I googled the # when I got home and the scam was mentioned on Carnivals funville site from someone who did answer.

Carnival does have a way of seeing when you are on line. When we started looking for our latest cruise , we would get random calls from carnival asking I'd we were ready to book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Yes this happens to us often. But we are booked. Carnival had no record of any need for someone to call us. Let alone call us multiple times.