Box Wine?

Happy2Crews

Have been taking a Black Box wine, 3 liter, on board for years. It has been packed in my husband's suitcase. Princess has changed their wine rules lately. Last year we had a 20 day b2b on Emerald. Since it was actually 2 cruises, I called Princess and asked if the 3 liter wine box was ok for such a long cruise and they said " no problem" And there was no problem

With the spotty enforcement of the wine policy you may still be able to get boxed wine onboard without a fee. If they want to consider a 3L box as 4) 750ml bottles & thus $60 in corkage, I'd have them dump the inexpensive box of wine & lose less than $20. ;)

With the spotty enforcement of the wine policy you may still be able to get boxed wine onboard without a fee. If they want to consider a 3L box as 4) 750ml bottles & thus $60 in corkage, I'd have them dump the inexpensive box of wine & lose less than $20. ;)

If there are 2 people in your cabin - the first 2 bottles would be allowed without corkage, so the corkage would be 2X15= $30.

Would boxed wine show up in an x-ray???

Good question! It is essentially a plastic bag filled with a liquid inside a cardboard box.

A friend brought one that was equivalent to about 2 750 ml bottles onboard last month on a cruise embarking at Southampton. She reported there was no problem whatsoever.

we just brought one in our carry on in Brooklyn. Was fully prepared to pay the $30 in corkage (2 free and box held 4 bottle equivalent). The way I figured it was it was still cheaper than buying 4 bottles of wine on board. The box also keeps it fresher than bottles in the cabin They never asked or mentioned it. Just go with the knowledge you might have to pay for 2 of the bottles contained in it. I love the Black box variety. Good luck. Do not pack in checked baggage because they are removing it and discarding.

If there are 2 people in your cabin - the first 2 bottles would be allowed without corkage, so the corkage would be 2X15= $30.

Very true...thanks for pointing that out. :)

I don't recall reading about this happening to anyone but it's good to know about what could happen.

Edited by Astro Flyer

And the more people talk about smuggling their wine onboard the more effort every cruise line will put into finding our "beverages". I suggest we forego discussing this issue as we are the ones who likely killed the golden goose in the first place.

Why do people go to all the trouble of smuggling boxed wine on board that is inferior to that available on the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please don't presume that we are all "smuggling". There were 4 of us in my party and therefore the box of wine between us was within the rules of the Princess wine policy - I was simply responding to the OP's question about practicality.

Personally I find the wine on board to be over priced for the quality and much prefer my boxed New Zealand or Australian wine. It is also much more convenient for transporting and drinking on my balcony

As with most things it is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

Why do people go to all the trouble of smuggling boxed wine on board that is inferior to that available on the ship?
I have to agree with that. We tried the box wine once and once was enough.
There are actually some very good box wines. Several Black Box wines have done well in numerous competitions and we have brought a 3L box on board numerous times. I volunteered at a wine competition early this year and a Bandit boxed Pinot Grigio was rated a Gold Medal by the entire panel. I had a chance to sample it later and it was very good. It's just convenient to not have to deal with bottles in the cabin. Edited by IECalCruiser

Please don't presume that we are all "smuggling". There were 4 of us in my party and therefore the box of wine between us was within the rules of the Princess wine policy - I was simply responding to the OP's question about practicality.

Personally I find the wine on board to be over priced for the quality and much prefer my boxed New Zealand or Australian wine. It is also much more convenient for transporting and drinking on my balcony

As with most things it is a matter of personal preference and opinion.

We'll be in London a couple days before embarking at Dover. Could you recommend a good brand of box wine available in the UK? I am also a fan of black box, but have found others I enjoy too. I'm not a connoisseur of fine wines, but if I find one I like, I prefer to have it conveniently packaged in boxes!;):) PS I prefer Sav Blanc or Chardonnay, but any white wine is fine

Edited by 5326jan

I had, for the first time, the Black Box Merlot, had it for Thanksgiving. It was the little box, 3 glasses was it. I thought it was pretty good for the price. Think I'll pack a couple boxes for my upcoming cruise(s).