Passports

brentconn

I am getting passports for me, my wife and daughter for our cruise which departs March 15th, 2014. How long will it take on average to get the passports?

Thanks!

Check with your passport office as the answer could be somewhat subjective as the result of the past gov shutdown

When my father and I got passports to go to Europe our passports arrived within 5-6 weeks, having said that though they put the wrong middle name dad for my dad and he had to call, send it back, and wait for a new one which was an additional 6 weeks so I would do it ASAP cause you never know what could happen!

On the state department website they have mention current processing time. I've found it to be quite accurate so far in 2014. 2-4 weeks.

if you live in 2014 will you tell me some powerball numbers please? :D

op, it will vary, 2-4 weeks is a good estimate, but it will vary depending on the office and the relative complexity of the application. expect 8 weeks max. in the event you need it at the last minute, if for instance there are complications, you can go to regional passport agencies (run by the state dept) and walk out with them the same day if needed.

We just got ours and it was 3weeks the shut down didn't effect passports due to its a funded agency. You can also track them on line once you apply. Just be sure you have the original birth certificate with the raised seal or a copy with the raised seal. My hubby just had a certificate of birth with the raised seal and it was returned but he got a copy the same day and mailed it out and the passport came back in a week. I was impressed it was so fast.

First cruise 12/3/2013 can't wait!!!

I am getting passports for me, my wife and daughter for our cruise which departs March 15th, 2014. How long will it take on average to get the passports?

Thanks!

Seriously....good for you.

I get so fed up when people ask "can I bring a copy of a birth certificate" or "my expired driver's license" etc. as proof of citizenship because they don't want to spend a few more $$$ and have peace of mind.

Keep in mind that there are holidays coming up, and although the federal offices will probably only be closed one day each for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, there are alot of employees who have "use or lose" vacation time and I know in my office, half of the 'old-timers' take time off at Christmas and New Year's thereby cutting down the staff. In the case of the passport offices, I can only assume they will do the same thing and when there are less staff, it could add additional turnaround time.

If you know you want to do this, you should start the process now.

Thanks!

If you are native born US citizens why blow 400 bucks on passports?

You can sail with just the birth certificate and drivers licence or just a BC for your daughter if she is under 18.

Just make sure the BC is government issued not hospital issued. It does NOT require a raised seal. That is a myth. Many localities don't use raised seals.

If you are native born US citizens why blow 400 bucks on passports?

You can sail with just the birth certificate and drivers licence or just a BC for your daughter if she is under 18.

Just make sure the BC is government issued not hospital issued. It does NOT require a raised seal. That is a myth. Many localities don't use raised seals.

Why? Ummm..

1) You want to travel to another country via air

2) You want to do a one-way cruise

3) You are on a closed loop cruise and have a medical emergency and need to fly home

4) You are on a closed loop cruise and miss the ship at the last port and need to fly home

5) Any number of reasons. The biggest reason to get a passport is the reason you DON'T think about it.

Getting off our cruise last week, with extended family, opened my eyes to how easy it is with a passport vs. without. DH and I breezed right through customs. My sister, travelling with small children and BC, took a little longer. Since there is no photo ID for the kids, they had to answer a few questions about how old they were, who they were travelling with, etc. This caused one of her kids to pause, not sure how to answer or if he should even talk to this stranger. She said the whole family will have passports before their next cruise as well as looking into a state issued photo ID for the kids. Just our experience with young children and a customs agent.

Seriously....good for you.

I get so fed up when people ask "can I bring a copy of a birth certificate" or "my expired driver's license" etc. as proof of citizenship because they don't want to spend a few more $$$ and have peace of mind.

Another thing to consider. Last year DH had his wallet stolen. His proof of who he was was inside that wallet, and it was a very difficult process to get a new Driver's license. Who has other photo id besides a driver's license? If he had a valid passport, it would have made things much easier.

Why? Ummm..

1) You want to travel to another country via air

2) You want to do a one-way cruise

3) You are on a closed loop cruise and have a medical emergency and need to fly home

4) You are on a closed loop cruise and miss the ship at the last port and need to fly home

5) Any number of reasons. The biggest reason to get a passport is the reason you DON'T think about it.

Well yeah if you want to enter another country other than by cruise or want to go on an open loop cruise you definitely need a passport. Those situations do not apply to the original poster.

If someone is so reckless as to come even close to missing a ship, lacking a passport will be the least of their worries in life.

Personally, I think it's foolish to spend 400 bills to get passports just for a closed end cruise.