Handicapped vs Full Suite

dorisis

We will be in a full suite instead of a haandicapped cabin. It was VERY expensive and I wonder if it will be worth the difference. Husband is in a small scooter but is able to walk short distances. We love the larger bathrooms but hate the flooded floor in the handicapped.

We will be in a full suite instead of a handicapped cabin. It was VERY expensive and I wonder if it will be worth the difference. Husband is in a small scooter but is able to walk short distances. We love the larger bathrooms but hate the flooded floor in the handicapped.

Just ask your cabin attendant for extra bath mats for your handicapped shower and place them just outside the shower curtain perimeter. This prevents or at least minimizes the flooded floor issue.

We have also found the tubs on ships very deep and difficult to navigate. Unfortunately the plumbing is under each tub which raises them higher above the floor level than in most homes or land based hotels. The handicapped showers also have grab bars which may or may not be available in a cabin with a tub.

We will be in a full suite instead of a haandicapped cabin. It was VERY expensive and I wonder if it will be worth the difference. Husband is in a small scooter but is able to walk short distances. We love the larger bathrooms but hate the flooded floor in the handicapped.

As others have already state the bathtubs in suites are very high and difficult to step into. Because of the height it probably won't be able to accommodate a transfer bench. It will also have a lower toilet. Nor will there be any grab bars by the toilet and the bathtub. Additionally there is a step up into the bathroom. If any of these features or lack there of pose a potential risk for your husband than an accessible cabin would be the better choice.

Doris,

As a wheelchair user & crutch walker (me), we always book a suite rather than an HC cabin.

You don't say which line, but I've never had a problem with access to the bath and it's great to be able to settle in and soak. Generally, if it is accessible at home then I wouldn't expecxt any problems. Some showers in (top end) suites are big enough to have a seated platform and grab bars in them which saves me having to ask for a shower stool. You can always make life a little easier by taking some vacuum stick-on handrails with you but it all depends on the level of mobility your DH has.

The major benefit of a suite is space, which helps with the wheelchair. You also get the option to dine in cabin, which makes life a lot easier after a long day when you want to avoid the rush for dining in the MDR. The tender priorities and other peripheral perks make a suite a great place to be, but of course, you pay for the priviledge.

Hi Doris. What ship are you on and what kind of suite are you booked in? It makes a difference. For example, on Celebrity and RCI, they have huge showers that can accommodate a shower chair with no problems. But, you need to book a Royal Suite or Penthouse on Celebrity or a Royal Suite on RCI. The bathtubs in all those suites are not accessible and can be quite a problem for those of us with walking issues.

We were in Cabin 7228, a handicapped Ocean Suite--it is HUGE! Larger than a grand suite. Bathroom was really large also, with separate tub and roll-in shower with built-in shower seat. Cabin was approximately 450 sq. feet plus balcony approx. 23 ft long. Made it so easy for me on a scooter. We are booked in a similar/same cabin layout on 4/5/14 Dream.

Just off an Eastern Carib cruise on the Allure in a hc cabin # 14172. Ordinary hC cabin was huge, with a large bathroom and shower area surrounded by a roll- over drain on 3 sides that keeps the water inside the shower area. Very large roll- out balcony. Any questions please post.

Did the room have the automatic door opener? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Was on the Allure 2 years ago in an inside HC cabin and did not have an automatic door opener. In fact the group I travel will , the MS Cruisers, had most of the HC cabins and none had automatic door openers.

Believe the only RCCL class of ships that have HC automatic door openers is the Radiance Class. The Brilliance and Jewel of the seas most definitely do have automatic door openers.

Edited by xxoocruiser

There. An auto door opener but I cannot recall whether is was to enter or exit. Believe it was to leave the room and it did not work well with the scooter.

In May/June we were in an inside HC on the Ruby. Of course the bathroom is large and your husband can use his scooter right into the shower area. However our room did not have a tub. The room itself is very spacious and we can park both of our scooters without feeling cramped. No auto door openers to the room but they did have them throughout the ship.

Just off an Eastern Carib cruise on the Allure in a hc cabin # 14172. Ordinary hC cabin was huge, with a large bathroom and shower area surrounded by a roll- over drain on 3 sides that keeps the water inside the shower area. Very large roll- out balcony. Any questions please post.

I am going to be in cabin 9170 - I think very similar. Do you have pictures of the cabin so I can take a peek at what to expect? There will be 4 of us: me, my husband and 2 teenage boys. I'm wondering how this is going to work :)

I am going to be in cabin 9170 - I think very similar. Do you have pictures of the cabin so I can take a peek at what to expect? There will be 4 of us: me, my husband and 2 teenage boys. I'm wondering how this is going to work :)

You have already received replies. Refer to this link http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1951589

• 4 weeks later...

We have returned from our cruise on the Coral and loved having the suite instead of the handicapped cabin. The bathroom had a separate glassed in shower and a Jacuzzi tub. The door was not wider but his Luggie scooter was able to pass thru with no problem. I am still not convinced it was worth the much higher cost but it was probably a one shot deal for us and I am glad we splurged.

If one is totally confined to a wheel chair it would not work out since there is a step up into the bathroom and no sit down chair in the shower.