Sea urchin question

tbmrt

We were in one of the islands and I remember the snorkeling guide giving me sea urchins to handle. Yet, I read elsewhere that these can be very painful if stepped on.

Is this due to different species? How can I tell the difference?

Will beach shoes protect ones feet when walking in water with sea urchins in it?Thanks

Barbara

sea urchins can be safely handled .. typically best is scooped up from beneath

some species have shorter and not so sharp spines

270px-Red_pencil_urchin_-_Papah%C4%81naumoku%C4%81kea.jpg

others have very sharp, thin, long spines

128px-Diadema_savignyi%291.jpg

stepping on an urchin can result in the thin sharp spines breaking off under the skin which is painful. Most any foot covering with a rubber sole provides adequate protection. Putting one's hand down on an urchin is also possible and if one 'presses' or quashes down the same result .... but one can also carefully touch the spines .... they do not 'fire' venom like the spines on the dorsal of a lion fish.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are going to be in water where sea urchins are present, please wear water shoes. Something with a sole. They can be very painful to step on. OK to handle gently.

Thanks for your response.

I'm confused as to why they would hurt if you step on them, but yet you can handle gently. Is this due to different types?

BArbara

I'm confused as to why they would hurt if you step on them, but yet you can handle gently

I can touch and pick up broken glass ... but if unseen and stepped on with bare feet often results in a cut!

So I guess they are sharp in any case...I seem to remember being on a cruise and the guide gave them to us to hold and they were soft and "wiggly". Guess there are different types.

Thanks

Barbara

a porcupine's spines move too

When the animal is calm the spines lay down and you can pet him.. When in defense mode .. another story.

As I mentioned b4, the urchin's spines are 'benign' and won't hurt you unless you stick yourself as with a pin. Unlike say a lion fish where even the slightest touch to the back fin can result in the spines firing off their venom.

If you are stung, a loose sheath surrounding each spine is pushed down, compressing two venom glands located down then length of the spine. Neurotoxic venom then travels through two parallel grooves up the spine and into the wound.

The overwhelming majority of lionfish stings result from people simply not paying attention.

Stings can occur even after the lionfish is dead. Stings can occur even after the fish have died.

One spear fisherman swore that if someone had offered to amputate his stung foot, he would have accepted the invitation gladly.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/08/the-truth-about-getting-stung-by-a-lionfish/

but lion fish are also good eating!

Edited by Capt_BJ

a porcupine's spines move too

When the animal is calm the spines lay down and you can pet him.. When in defense mode .. another story.

As I mentioned b4, the urchin's spines are 'benign' and won't hurt you unless you stick yourself as with a pin. Unlike say a lion fish where even the slightest touch to the back fin can result in the spines firing off their venom.

If you are stung, a loose sheath surrounding each spine is pushed down, compressing two venom glands located down then length of the spine. Neurotoxic venom then travels through two parallel grooves up the spine and into the wound.

The overwhelming majority of lionfish stings result from people simply not paying attention.

Stings can occur even after the lionfish is dead. Stings can occur even after the fish have died.

One spear fisherman swore that if someone had offered to amputate his stung foot, he would have accepted the invitation gladly.

http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2013/08/08/the-truth-about-getting-stung-by-a-lionfish/

but lion fish are also good eating!

Thanks so so much! I surely was going to wear my water shoes...such a newbie I guess! Didn't know all that. Should I leave water shoes on inside rental fins??

Barbara

So I guess they are sharp in any case...I seem to remember being on a cruise and the guide gave them to us to hold and they were soft and "wiggly". Guess there are different types.

Thanks

Barbara

If it was soft and "wiggly" it wasnt a sea urchin as nothing about them is soft and wiggly. It was more likely a sea cucumber which would be more likely picked up by a guide and hand over to someone and fits the soft and wiggly you remember. I can't imagine them taking the chance with giving someone a urchin.

videos I linked show people handling them w/out gloves ... and MOST dive locations have BANNED wearing of gloves as no gloves discourages touching coral (touching KILLS)

I wouldn't try to dig an urchin out of a hole bare handed, but an urchin on a sand flat can be lifted by a scooping motion.

40 years ago the common black spiny urchin was WAY more prevalent but in 1983 there was a HUGE die off (est 97%) from an undetermined cause. Back in the 70's I remember sand flats between coral reef fingers sometime BLACK with urchins and a DM would commonly stab one with their dive knife, lift and then place it on the palm of the other hand, then twist the knife to break the shell open and shake..... The same effect as the 90's can of cheese wiz or today's baggie of cheerios .... FISH SWARM!

Back then, I'd see black urchins as the underwater ants!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diadema_antillarum

Today a black spiny urchin is a popular resident of larger salt water aquariums!