Currency onboard?

Thanks mrwalker! Does anyone know about noumea and vanuatu? Are we better off bringing their currency with us or can u get it changed onboard?

You can have money changed on board but you'll get better conversion rates doing it at home before you go. We always get some at our local Australia Post - rates are good and they don't charge commission!

Any cash we have left in that currency after we leave port we take to guest services and use it to pay down our account. We did this with both Singapore and Malaysian currency on our last cruise.

I find the best exchange rates I can get are from Travelex on line. Just go on line and order what you want for pick up in a certain store. They have better rates online than if you just walk into a store. But some currencies have a minimum amount that you need to order online. Aust Post is also fairly good I believe. Most places in Vanuatu accept $A but you are at their mercy as to the exchange rate they ask for each purchase - having the local Vatu makes it easier. Noumea, most places will only accept the local Pacific Franc - after all they are mainly French. I would think the exchange rate on board would only be favourable to the shipping line.