FOUND MONEY CLIP...Brilliance of the Seas

calfan8819

I have read many posts over the years of found items posted on this board...and surprisingly, there has been some that were returned because the cruiser did not turn it into L&F and instead worked to find the real owner. I applaud the poster for trying to find the owner in this fashion. And, as others have mentioned, the OP likely has contacted RCI and other ways to try and reach the owner.

If you find a $100.00 bill laying on the floor at K-mart, do you keep it, or turn it into the service desk? The concept of finders-keepers is that the find keeps the item if the original owner is not found. In the case of money, the finder, by giving it to another person, makes the new person a new "finder" and thus would be the one who keeps it. Now, if that $100.00 was in a wallet with a drivers license, than you know the owner, thus would make an effort to contact them.

Things get lost on ships, planes and hotels all the time. Some things are of value, and some things might just be sentimental, such as possibly what the OP was asking. Never said it was of value, just something that belongs to someone, and they would be happy to ship it to them. Maybe it was engraved, and looked special.

There is no "right" way of handling this. The only "right" way is that a person, makes an attempt. There is no "rule" that states a "finder" should not take position of a lost item, and if that "finder" makes an attempt to find an owner, than they did the right thing, and if unsuccessful, is not the new owner.

I think you meant "is NOW the new owner" in the last line.

I'm surprised at the number of people with such a low opinion of the people who work at guest relations. It is assumed they are likely to be thieves who would risk there jobs to steal a money clip. :confused

The people I have interacted with in guest relations have been professionals.

I'm surprised at the number of people with such a low opinion of the people who work at guest relations. It is assumed they are likely to be thieves who would risk there jobs to steal a money clip. :confused

I agree. I found an envelope with $25 in cash in our safe on day 1 of our last cruise.

I took it to guest services and told them my cabin number. End of story.

More stories about people immediately calling after discovering things had been left in the cabin. Told everything was turned in to L&F in Florida. Called Florida, no items.

Exactly what happened to me! VERY disappointed with RCI Lost and Found procedures.

It's nice to see the OP is making an effort to reunite the lost item with it's owner. More than what RCI did for me.

I agree. But, really, so what? I would feel like I've done the responsible thing by turning it in. The concept that someone on this board is "more responsible" than guest relations amazes me. Do the right, responsible thing and turn it in. After that, it's the responsibility of the cruiseline. The odds of the owner seeing this thread are almost nil. It's not the OP's and should have been turned in, period. This superiority of some people is weird.

Those that think the cash would disappear immediately if turned in must be the same people that think it's okay to keep money that they find. Just sayin....

Edited by BND

My DD lost one Diamond earring in the safe. She called from the airport and was told it was found and would be returned. When it never came she called and was told it was never found???????

I have found item in the safe and have called GS to come empty it. I don't want to be responsible for the items. They sent and officer as one of the things the Stuarts are suppose to do is check the safe.

We've never found anything left behind from the previous Cruisers in any of our staterooms. I guess our stateroom attendent is doing her/his job by either doing a excellent job cleaning and inspecting the stateroom before we arrive or removing any left behind property. Sounds like those of you that have found another Cruisers property in your stateroom your stateroom attendent isn't inspecting/cleaning the stateroom as well as she/he should be.

I don't think that's necessarily what people are implying. Rather that for whatever reasons RCCL's overall record at lost and found has been dismal at best according to various reports here over the years. The reports generally indicate the odds of something being "found" or returned are slim at best. We left a pair of reading glasses in our room a couple years ago and I knew after reading about lost and found here they would likely never be seen again. We called RCCL "lost and found" twice, never heard back from them:rolleyes: I know there are thousands of rooms being cleaned quickly at the end of a cruise, but if they really wanted to they could do better:rolleyes:

Anyway, based on 8-10 years worth of reading lost and found experiences here at CC, it's highly unlikely the owner of that money clip would have ever seen it if it had been turned in.

We've never left anything. I do have an idea for everyone. Do what we do, check every drawer, closet, under the bed, in the safe, etc before departing the room. Simple.

What I don't get is how someone leaves something of sentimental or intrinsic value. Why bring something like that on a cruise or vacation? I do bring good jewelry, but I know where every piece is ALL the time. There are, however, some things I would never bring on vacation. That said, know what you bring and make sure you have it when you leave.

As I said previously, anything I found would be turned in. Not my responsibility to find the owner. I ended up with a pager in my groceries this past week. I turned it in today to the store because it wasn't MINE.

Turn it in, let the L&F deal with it. OP doesn't know better............

Edited by BND