shorts, dress code and insults

michmike

And vice-versa. I've noticed many times that 'verbal abuse' is often claimed when the other poster did nothing but very effectively counter an opposing view. When there is nothing further to be said to defend their view, some posters then claim they have been personally insulted, when it fact nothing of the sort was done. :rolleyes:

Another very good point. I've seen that happen many times too.

And I've been accused of verbal abuse when making a point ... :eek:

..............But when verbal abuse enters in, you can be sure it's done to deflect attention from the abuser's weak argument.

This statement by Dave is without a doubt one of the best observations I have ever seen made on these boards. I'm not exaggerating. It is the best.

Bookworm's point is also true, but there is no question that on these boards as in life, the weakest arguments are generally put forth in an abusive form.

My first cruise is coming up in two weeks and 20 minutes so I haven't experienced the whole shipboard dining thing!! But my experience with the dress code issue in restaurants is that sometimes I want no-frills good food in a place where the dress code is "shoes and shirts required." But every once in a while I want a Special Occasion: good food, lovely decor, elegant place settings, soft lighting, fresh flowers, a great view and perhaps a string quartet. For me -- my personal taste -- that experience is enhanced if my fellow diners are "dressed up." That's part of the total package.

But if everybody just wears what they want, then there won't be any place left to experience that total "dress up" package. I'm looking forward to the dining experiences on the cruise (the Veendam to Alaska!) And on nights when I feel like the dining room dress code is too much of a hassle, I'll choose a less formal option.

Just my 2 cents.

I thought this thread was dead, but back it came, and now I can offer my suggestion to HAL. Are you listening?

• The Pinnacle Grill: Always formal, always wonderful
  • The Main Dining Room: A comfortable mix of casual and informal
  • The Lido: Anything you can get away with on a cruise ship

Do others think this would work? susan.

I can see why the HOST pulled the first thread. You are still all acting like children!!!

If you all can't be civil...just read and don't post.

JMO;)

Back to what I said earlier in this thread. CHILDREN!

It is not our place to change what the cruise line you want to cruise on policy is. It is always stated in the brochoure you looked at what that policy is. When you get your docs, they give you the amount of nights of what the dress will be for that evening.

This is a HAL thread and I know most people that look at it understand. I will try to put it as simply as HAL does. "Out of respect for your fellow passengers the attire for this evening is......."

Please note one word..."RESPECT"

Like Joanna, my wife, daughter and I will be on our first cruise in about two weeks; except that we will be on the Ryndam. Like jessemon, we are looking forward respectfully observing the formal aspect of the Rotterdam (especially our DD).

If we wanted casual, we'd go camping at El Capitan. Which, actually, doesn't sound too bad either...;)

Like Joanna, my wife, daughter and I will be on our first cruise in about two weeks; except that we will be on the Ryndam. Like jessemon, we are looking forward respectfully observing the formal aspect of the Rotterdam (especially our DD).

If we wanted casual, we'd go camping at El Capitan. Which, actually, doesn't sound too bad either...;)

Landlubber54,

Enjoy yor first cruise. It will hook you!!!!

Jessemon

hmm... August in Alaska...August at Yosemite. I definitely prefer places with only double-digit high temperatures!

Have a great cruise...

Don't forget tipping. That subject gets people pretty excited too. :)

If you really wanna get a rise out of some people on this board, just say "I wear my jeans in the dining room every night while on a cruise, light up my Marlboro wherever I damned well please, and always remove my auto-tip." :)

"And I travel with all my children and teenagers...find some fault with the entertainment/embarkation/debarkation/food etc. and I always take the ship's shore excursions.:) "

Dave:

I have to agree that camping in Yosemite in August would be a little warm. The "El Capitan" I was referring to is a state beach park campground, just north of Santa Barbara, CA.

I should have been more descriptive...

And, thank you, we will have a great cruise. :D

Archived