shorts, dress code and insults

michmike

Seems as though the moderator tired of the insults being traded over the thread on shorts and dress code and pulled it .. a pity that as adults we can't have that discussion w/o resorting to personal attacks... ok to differ in opinions.. but can we agree to respect each individual's right to theirs??

Dress codes and smoking seem to be "trigger" topics.

Interesting enough, folks who sees things the same most of the time, are dynamically opposed on those issues....:o

Most of the time, we do play fair......:cool:

Agreed! I have only sailed HAL 1 time before. I am going on the Zuiderdam next month, and I read the post very carefully when it comes to dress code. I myself am laid back on vacations, and as long as no one is bothering me, I do not care what they do. I do realize HAL has a dress code, and I will follow it to the letter. I had no idea what I wear to dinner could affect someone else! I myself look to enjoy things, and do not look for trouble. But I realize we all have differing opinions.

Maybe we should start a Cruise Critic thread to take a pledge to all get along better! This world is harsh enough!

I had no idea what I wear to dinner could affect someone else!

It shouldn't, but unfortunately it seems to... :confused:

We dress in accordance to the "code" - but I have never paid any attention to what others wear until I found this site. Now, I merely try and "observe" how many men in tuxes on formal night, etc. so I can report back here.

Having been on many, many cruises on several different lines. we always follow the dress code. Never had a problem with it as DH had to ware tuxedos several times a year for various funtions and since I attened all the same affairs, I also wore long gowns or very fancy attire.

We have sailed on the QE 2 where we had to be either formal or semi-formal EVERY night.

I love to get all dressed up. I love to feel like a princess, all pampered and beautiful, even if only for a few hours. I love seeing my husband sparkle, too. I wish there were more times and places for this. susan.

I'll follow the dress code for dinner in the main dining room. But if I'm going to the Lido for dinner you can bet I will have shorts on (just like I have on all the other cruises I've been on). Also, when dinner is over I change back to nice dress shorts and a polo shirt. I hope my inability to follow the suggested dress code will not ruin anyones vacation on the Zuiderdam (11/12). I'm not loud or obnoxious, I just want to be comfortable.

I'll follow the dress code for dinner in the main dining room. But if I'm going to the Lido for dinner you can bet I will have shorts on (just like I have on all the other cruises I've been on). Also, when dinner is over I change back to nice dress shorts and a polo shirt. I hope my inability to follow the suggested dress code will not ruin anyones vacation on the Zuiderdam (11/12). I'm not loud or obnoxious, I just want to be comfortable.

Now I am kind of sorry we booked the Zuiderdam for 9/03 - my DH thinks shorts without cargo pockets are "dressy" so I can see some problems in the future. ;)

Landyn, hope we can find somebody like you to "hang" with so DH doesn't look so out of place. :D Unless you wear black socks with those sandals!

Now, I merely try and "observe" how many men in tuxes on formal night, etc. so I can report back here.

I pass out pink slips to the dress code offenders so that they can get a discount on ties and long pants in the giftshop, redeemable only within the first hour after dinner...

:rolleyes:

That way those of us who are better dressed don't have to wait so long for our cocktails and can get better seats at the shows!

:eek:

Although the issue may start with a simple question on dress, it soon evolves into hate mail, i.e. if you insist on following the code, you're an elitist. Even the dear departed Superstein called another poster who objected to his Caribbean shirt for formal night a racist. Seems as though being on vacation for some means to throw out any consideration for others.

One man’s insult is the protection of another’s freedom to be themselves. But then again, what do you expect when you can hide behind anonymity?

Don't forget tipping. That subject gets people pretty excited too. :)

If you really wanna get a rise out of some people on this board, just say "I wear my jeans in the dining room every night while on a cruise, light up my Marlboro wherever I damned well please, and always remove my auto-tip." :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

i for one hate dressing up but for some reason i love to do it on a cruise--to the extent that i rented a tux on the last cruise and i felt real special-- in addition i didnt have to carry a suit, shirts and ties for the formal nites---will never cruise again without renting a tux---- going on a cruise next year with some friends and i dont think i will tell them im renting a tux

Interesting enough, folks who sees things the same most of the time, are dynamically opposed on those issues....:o

Most of the time, we do play fair......:cool:

Blackbird71 just loves these threads ... popcorn.gif and beer2.gif

As for my 2 cents,,, I wish all cruise lines would go to Formal / Country Club Casual and drop the middle dress code.

PS: You all have not seen nothing like what you get if you suggest add on tips to your room stewardess on the Radisson forum. :eek:

I never stayed at any those All Inclusive Resorts but have relatives that did.

Some have more than 1 restaurant. In this case shorts are allowed is some, but others require you to be better dressed. I don't know if a jacket is required in the more upscale restaurant but shorts, jeans, T shirts, are not allowed.

My 2cents, We have been to an all-inclusive in Cancun,there were a few resturants that men had to have on long pants. It was no big deal after dinner my husband and teenage sons(now 18 & 15) changed as it was extreemly hot. As far as changing after dinner on a cruise,we all did it last year on RCI Navigator. My boys went and plalyed basketball so obviously they had to and my husband and I did also. We had late dining so by the time we changed and went back out it was close to 11pm. We were still in "country club" clothing. We plan on doing the same this cruise.As HAL is attempting to attract a younger crowd I do not see changing into a nice pair of shorts offensive.

While reading the various dress code / smoking / tips and kids threads is sometimes fun, I just don't understand why they have to degenerate into insults, name calling and bitter diatribe.

I feel sorry for the newbies who come here with an honest question and then watch it blow up into a nasty war thread that eventually gets poofed. I'm sure alot of people get very turned off by this and run away from these boards with their tails between their legs never to return and, thus, miss out on the wealth of information available. One of my first posts here was a question about what to wear and it, of course, ended up a nasty interchange and I didn't post again for a few months.

I think the people here COULD and SHOULD just stick to opinions about the topics of the threads without bringing in questions of motivations, socio-economic status, hidden agendas and personal attacks. But, as in any forum, anonymity breeds anti-social behaviour as there are no consequenses when these abherent behaviours are exhibited.

How to put a stop to the nasties??? Call them on it and alert the moderators. Don't take the bait and argue back...just ask that they not be so contentious and politley point out that their comments could be percieved as.......argumentative, condescending, insulting..etc.

Example:

OP: What should I wear in the MDR for Formal Night?

Poster A: HAL states that a Tuxedo and Long gown are appropriate but a dark suit and mid length dress are also acceptable alternatives.

Poster B: I saw people on Formal night wearing chinos and a button down shirt and blazer and women in sun dresses.

So far - so good. Nothing nasty, both factual. Poster A stated the cruise line's statement on dress. Poster B reported what was actually observed. Now the fun starts.

Poster C: The cruiseline should crack down on the low life idiots who ruin formal nights by not conforming to the required dress code.

Poster D: It's your vacation, wear what you want! Don't let the elitist snobs ruin your cruise!

The usual degredation off the tread.

appropriate responce:

Poster A: Please, don't get nasty and argumentative.

Poster B: We may have differences of opinion but there is no need to insult people.

Poster E: Let's keep these threads from becomming shouting matches.

Poster F: I don't think the OP is benefiting from name calling and insults.

Get the picture? If the majority of decent level headed people politly point out and refuse to be drawn in to the nasty debate....It won't be fun for the flamers anymore and hopefully they will go away or straighten up!

Just MHO. Sorry for the long post.

I have never been to an all-inclusive resort for a week. Tell me, is there a dress code for dinner at those places ?

Would be interesting to compare. MaryAnn;)

The AIs in the Caribbean and Mexico have a dress code for the a la carte restaurants at the resorts. The dress code is the equivalent of Casual aboard the ships. For men this would mean shirts with collars, slacks, proper footwear etc. At high end resorts a jacket may be required for their "featured restaurant". The dress code IS enforced.....you simply will not get in with shorts on. If you wish to wear shorts etc. you will be kindly but firmly be directed to the buffet restaurant. I have personally witnessed the enforcement of the dress code on many occasions...it really is hilarious, first comes disbelief, then righteous indignation followed by anger and ending with resignation. The patrons either change or head to the buffet.

My $0.02.

I have never cruised, but will be soon. Maybe because I am new to it, my attitude will tend to be, "When in Rome,..."

I know that there are many who have the attitude of entitlement that says, "Well, I have spent my $XXXX for my vacation and I will do as I please, regardless of the guidelines that I was given."

To me, when you go on a cruise, you are almost part of a homeowners' association with CC&R's. I DO think that you are obligated to respect others and, as part of that, to follow the ship's guidelines for dress, decorum, etc. It's not bait and switch. You know the rules going in. If you don't want to follow the guidelines, why are you going?

That doesn't mean that you can't enjoy yourself and have fun. There are several different cruise lines, all of which offer a quality product. It seems to me that if you take the time to research all the options, you ought to be able to find something that works for you.

I personally enjoy dressing up for a couple of nights, because it's something that most of us do so rarely anymore. I happen to live in a very casual city - and I love that! - but I do enjoy the fun and formality of dressy nights and the feeling the ship takes on when everyone's walking around in formal attire.

That being said...I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea, and though I wish everyone would be formal, I have no real problem with what anyone else wears on a formal night. I'm much more likely to notice person A's beautiful dress than person B who's wearing shorts. Besides, it's much more fun to meet people who are happy and comfortable, than cranky and feeling stifled in a suit or tux or formal dress.

I totally agree with LandLubber's statement about there being choices and we know what we're signing on for and to choose another line if we want to be casual - and in a perfect world, everyone would follow the dress code on their cruise (I'd certainly prefer it that way). But it's not a perfect world, and that's alright too.

(I hate to sound so "I'm okay - you're okay", but that's truly how I feel about formal nights!)

To echo what RockyMtnTexan said -- and from what I have seen posted by others -- I am not going to let the way that someone dresses spoil my cruise. I hope I don't offend others with the black business suit I plan to wear on formal nights.:cool:

I don't think the majority of those posting on this thread have thoroughly read the OP for comprehension.

"Seems as though the moderator tired of the insults being traded over the thread on shorts and dress code and pulled it .. a pity that as adults we can't have that discussion w/o resorting to personal attacks... ok to differ in opinions.. but can we agree to respect each individual's right to theirs??"

The subject of the thread is civility and decorum in discussion over subjects posters disagree about.

There is no need to, once again, get into the discussion of what to where and when.

Would the majority really rather fight over clothing choices than to rationally discuss behavior norms? Or, should we take the deafening silence on the OP's subject to mean the majority LIKE the no - holds - barred insult fests?

Archived