A different experience on tipping for drinks

First off, let me say that DH and I love RCL cruises! We recently tried HAL, as they offered a very, very affordable vacation just when we needed one. We were totally relaxed and enjoyed a couple of HAL's special features (Digital Workshop and Culinary Arts Centre) but overall, we are in (rare!) complete agreement that RCL remains our first choice for many reasons.

One aspect of HAL service struck a very positive a chord with me, though. Now, I would never dream of NOT tipping a bartender or barista or whoever serves me a drink...anywhere. However, most lines thoughtfully(?) add an involuntary gratuity to the drink bills. RCL - and maybe others - also constantly presents the reminder that I can add more.

On the Westerdam, the involuntary tip was in place, but there was NO line on which to add more. In fact, it was rare to be asked to sign, and my bar rec't was usually wrapped neatly around my card as it was handed back. There was no evidence of a tip receptacle anywhere other than on the piano in the Piano Bar.

Just my opinion, but I really enjoyed not feeling like it was almost expected that I pad the involuntary tip at every drink. If I was in one place, and ordering drinks for some time, I could see slipping something extra to a person who kept my glass filled, but I only ever have a single drink here or there.

If you do the drink package on Royal Caribbean they generally just run your card, no receipt. I ended up giving fewer extra tips with the drink package. But probably ordered more drinks so they got more tips that way.

Not true on the Allure. We signed for every drink and had tons of receipts to match up at the end of our cruise. We almost always tip extra for the good service, even though there was server that wouldn't serve me a Guiness. The other servers saw this and waited on us with no problem.

Not true on the Allure. We signed for every drink and had tons of receipts to match up at the end of our cruise. We almost always tip extra for the good service, even though there was server that wouldn't serve me a Guiness. The other servers saw this and waited on us with no problem.

unless you were underaged or obviously intoxicated that should be considered a crime against humanity. did they give a reason WHY they would not serve you?

unless you were underaged or obviously intoxicated that should be considered a crime against humanity. did they give a reason WHY they would not serve you?

Because Guinness is horrible and they were saving him from himself??

I guess certain beers were not included in the Premium package. Some because of the price. The server explained some were not because of how many are stocked? Didn't make sense to me. I wanted a Black and Tan but couldn't because of half Guiness even though they were equal in price. The other servers even in the same venue which was the English pub would have no problem serving me. So I just didn't let the other server wait on me.

I will try the new Ultimate Package on my next cruise and report back.

on my first fewcruises, did not know tips were included, and wrote a tip in to all bar tabs. It was nice for all the servers, not so great for me:eek:

Since then, have learned, and take singles with me and tip for performance - someone that goes the extra mile, not just a drink off of the premixed tray on embarkation day etc.

I too have travelled Hal, and other lines that fold the receipt over the plastic and like that idea -they usually leave quickly too, and do not make you feel like you forgot to do something?!?!?

I know they live off tips and the money they get from us "rich people" that cruise, but do not need to make us feel they are begging for it!

As always, there are great servers we love to tip and those you have to flag down and they begrudgingly go and get you a drink.

I hope with prepaid tips, that all staff, not just the people we see (laundry, kitchen, cleaners) etc get a share of that money at the end of each cruise - they work hard too! i know some of them get to move up over time once they learn English.

On the Westerdam, the involuntary tip was in place, but there was NO line on which to add more. In fact, it was rare to be asked to sign, and my bar rec't was usually wrapped neatly around my card as it was handed back. There was no evidence of a tip receptacle anywhere other than on the piano in the Piano Bar.

Same thing on Princess. In fact, once the bar tender gets my first drink order at Crooners Bar, I never have to show my sea pass card again, for the rest of the cruise. He/she will have memorized my folio # and when I am ready to leave the bar I get a receipt (with no place to add an extra tip). I almost always give cash anyway as an extra gratuity, even on Royal.

Because Guinness is horrible and they were saving him from himself??

Awesome!! Made me laugh out loud. I am pretty sure Carnival doesn't have the tip line either. Since all the others mentioned were in the Carnival family it must be a corporate level decision.