Dreaming of a Silversea Someday!

firstcruiseever

DH and I were reading about the World Cruise on Silver sea and dreaming of the day that we can afford to take such a spectacular cruise. It is visiting almost ALL of the countries that we dream of visiting, excluding Scotland and England. I think it will be a while until we can afford such an elaborate cruise!! We thought of calling them and asking how long in advance you can reserve a seat on the World Cruise... We were thinking maybe 20 years?? ;)

Or you could do what my husband and I are doing, taking a segment or two a year.

We didn't realize we wanted to cruise around the world until after our second SS cruise. By then we had the Atlantic Ocean crossed and the Panama Canal traversed. Alaska to England was covered. Next up was Sydney to Hong Kong. At this point we had to decide how we were handling Africa (go around the continent or through the Suez.) We decided since we hadn't gone around South America, we'd go around Africa. Suddenly Sydney to Hong Kong turned out to be superfluous since we did Capetown to Europe (originally I was thinking we'd do Alaska to Hong Kong but dh wanted a warm weather crossing of the Pacific.) In 6 weeks we do LA to Sydney and in 16 months we do Perth to Capetown, and complete that goal.

That doesn't end our goals - there's still a large number of goals I have: the fjords of Norway, sailing under Tower Bridge, the Black Sea, the Baltic Sea, maybe a Holy Land cruise and possibly, if we win a lottery, sailing the North West Passage. Each time we cruise, we learn of exciting destinations from our fellow travelers.

We tried river cruising but that didn't fit my personality (I love sea days) so although we've done Budapest to Prague we are unlikely to do a lot more of that. Of course, as we age, our tastes may change.

Speaking of aging, we started with SS in our late 40's and have been inspired by their older demographic. We are looking forward to being as interesting, adventurous, and as good a traveler (as opposed to tourist) as the people we have befriended on Silver Sea.

Edited by CanadianKate

The top item on my bucket list is a round the world cruise. I can afford it money wise now, but I can't afford taking that much time off work. So on the back burner for now. But once I can retire,we are on it. Hope to see you there!