7 day cruise out of new orleans

natas9

Looking at taking a cruise out of New Orleans going to the Caribbean in late February. Just wondering what side of ship is better, port side or starboard side. Also wondering how many children are usually on these voyages. Could somebody please help us out! Thanks Natas9

Either side is ok. You don't know which side you will be docking on in the various ports usually until you reach the port, and the ship won't necessarily dock on the same side twice at the same port. In Feb, I doubt if there will be many children at all on the ship. That's not a holiday for school age kids and very young kids are not that frequent on the cruises we've been on regardless of the time of year.

Mostly agree with Roger001. Either side is fine, sometimes you'll face the land in port, sometimes you'll face the sea.

However, I'm always amazed at the number of school age kids there are on cruise ships when you think they really shouldn't be there. My feeling is that parents aren't as concerned about pulling their kids out of school for a week these days....?

We leave next Sunday from NOLA and the Port side faces the city while in NO, but the starboard side faces the city while cruising down the river on departure. Cruise ships face their bow up river while docked because of the currents in the Mississippi River. Depending on what itinerary you are on, several ports are tendered which means the ship anchors off shore. I know Grand Cayman on our cruise is tendered and I think Belize is tendered on the other one. If Cozumel has too many ships in port you can be tendered there too, which happens a lot in the winter months.

Edited by terrydtx

depends how close you are to mardi gras - many schools in New Orleans give the kids a week off at mardi gras so the numbers rise

We did the week in feb at mardi gras and there were many many kids on board and it fell in line with UK school holidays too so ours were there too

depends how close you are to mardi gras - many schools in New Orleans give the kids a week off at mardi gras so the numbers rise

Agree! Many area families take vacations to Disney and crusing during Mardi Gras week. The city is crazy that week so it's a good time for families to leave town :-)

We always cruise with our kids in Feb as most schools in CT have a week of vacation to coincide with Presidents Day.

If you want to see the city of NOLA when leaving take a port side cabin. As others have said it doesn't matter when docking at the ports.

I have noticed that recently the Jewel has docked with Starboard side facing land in MoBay and NOLA, altho Terrydtx is correct about the ship facing upriver when docked in NOLA. Cozumel is a crap shoot, Gr.Cayman & Belize are definite tenders. I'd choose a cabin location based more on convenience and noise factor rather than possible port views.

We just got off the Carnival Sunshine in a forward port room. We loved it! I would book that side again any time. The only catch is when passing Cuba, starboard can only see. But that happens in the day so one will most likely be on deck.

We leave next Sunday from NOLA and the Port side faces the city while in NO, but the starboard side faces the city while cruising down the river on departure. Cruise ships face their bow up river while docked because of the currents in the Mississippi River. Depending on what itinerary you are on, several ports are tendered which means the ship anchors off shore. I know Grand Cayman on our cruise is tendered and I think Belize is tendered on the other one. If Cozumel has too many ships in port you can be tendered there too, which happens a lot in the winter months.

Hate to disagree, but, port is left facing the front and starboard is right. Given that, starboard faces the dock and when you head down the river, port will be facing New Orleans!! Now, you will only "see" NO for about the first 5-10 minutes, after that, doesn't matter much. And as others have said, can't predict what will happen at any of the ports.

Hate to disagree, but, port is left facing the front and starboard is right. Given that, starboard faces the dock and when you head down the river, port will be facing New Orleans!! Now, you will only "see" NO for about the first 5-10 minutes, after that, doesn't matter much. And as others have said, can't predict what will happen at any of the ports.

You are so right and just goes to prove that I sometimes do not know my right from my left. I am surprised you are the only one who caught my error. :eek:

When we left on the Star in Jan. out of NOLA, port was facing the city. We were in an aft suite and another ship was just behind us, and it was starboard facing the city and we were 'but to but', so to speak. Aft to aft? If we had been the only ship in port I am sure we would have been starboard facing the city.

terrydtx: can you bring us the dailies, pretty please????? I have not seen them yet for this itinerary.

Edited by medicalma'am

terrydtx: can you bring us the dailies' date=' pretty please????? I have not seen them yet for this itinerary.[/size'][/font]

I will try to remember to bring them, we are only the third Jewel trip with this new itinerary.

In Feb, I doubt if there will be many children at all on the ship. That's not a holiday for school age kids and very young kids are not that frequent on the cruises we've been on regardless of the time of year.

Actually, many New England states have what is called a "Winter Break" in February for elementatry and high schools. Some school districts and/or states do it the same week as "President's Day", but I also see many school districts in NH have for the last week of February.

My guess is that the last 2 weeks of February would have a bit more children than usual. After that you begin to run into college and university breaks.

Looking at taking a cruise out of New Orleans going to the Caribbean in late February. Just wondering what side of ship is better, port side or starboard side. Also wondering how many children are usually on these voyages. Could somebody please help us out! Thanks Natas9

Late Feb should be a great time to cruise with not many kids, if this is what you are looking for. If you are traveling with children, the kids club is always a great experience whether there are 5 or 500 kids on board. As for which side of the ship, it doesn't really matter. One time you might dock on one side, the next port the other, so this is one cruise where the sides don't make a heck of a lot to difference.

We did the week in feb at mardi gras and there were many many kids on board and it fell in line with UK school holidays too so ours were there too

The big week for Mardi Gras will be the last few days of Feb and the first part of March. Easter is very late next year, so Ash Wednesday isn't until Mar 5th.