Sports platform...is it used often?

SMNYCruise

We are taking a round trip cruise from Barbados on the Windstar this February. I haven't found too much information about the sports platform. Is it available every day in port? Can you swim off it or is it just for water sports? What "sports" is it commonly used for?

is probably one of the highlights of a Windstar cruise. At least on Windsurf, the ship usually anchors in the harbor (some aren't even harbours, more like sailing anchorages) and out go the water rafts and then, you really do think you are on your own private yacht. We often had enough of the beaches by early afternoon and then off to the swim deck. Enjoy.

We are taking a round trip cruise from Barbados on the Windstar this February. I haven't found too much information about the sports platform. Is it available every day in port? Can you swim off it or is it just for water sports? What "sports" is it commonly used for?

Since your itinerary is focused mainly on the Grenadines, I would think it would be ideal to use the watersports platform in the Tobago Cays, or some of the other Grenadine isalnds on this sailing. I am doing it myself in March, so please report back on your experience.

We are taking the Wind Spirit cruise from Costa Rica through the Panama Canal. We love to kayak- does anyone know if there are several kayaks on the sports platform so we could take one to explore the ports or are there only a few to use around the ship?

We did that cruise January 2013-as I recall there were at least two kayaks-probably more. I think there were two doubles and a few singles. We did paddle boarding at the beach bbcue in Isla Coiba. There is a fairly quiet beach and cove there so it was perfect to try it and they have two of them. They bring all the water "toys" to the beach for the barbecue.

• 5 weeks later...

We've only done Mediterranean trips on Windstar, and were told that there are more restrictions on the sports platform there than on Caribbean trips. Some ports in the Med limit their use, and weather is not always suitable. On our September Rome to Venice cruise last year, the platform was only out in Kotor (where the water was REALLY cold! :eek:

SMNYCruise - Which cruise are you on? We are on the Feb. 1 sailing.

In the Caribbean, as dandee2 stated, they usually open the sports platform on days when not docked at a pier. On this itinerary, the only time at a pier will be in Grenada. All other ports are tendered. So, depending on the weather, there should be opportunities to experience it. The other time that it might not be open is on the day of the beach bbq - they usually bring all the toys over to the beach.