Doctors and nurses,any funny cruise stories?

alexandra cruiser

I'm an OB nurse so I could have easily handled the delivery...my 1 time i responded to a call for help was a heart attack. I responded "I know CPR" without disclosing my profession. I initiated CPR and used the defib. Luckily the man survived We diverted to nearest airport.

Afterwards another passenger said he was an ER doc, and said he knew another doc would respond. I told him I was an OB nurse and he said he didn't know OB nurses could run a code. <<<sigh>>>

Way to step up! :)

I'm an OB nurse so I could have easily handled the delivery...my 1 time i responded to a call for help was a heart attack. I responded "I know CPR" without disclosing my profession. I initiated CPR and used the defib. Luckily the man survived We diverted to nearest airport.

Afterwards another passenger said he was an ER doc, and said he knew another doc would respond. I told him I was an OB nurse and he said he didn't know OB nurses could run a code. <<<sigh>>>

in an emergency, only right that he would help.Very upsetting with all his training,Really COULD have meant the difference between life and death.

Agree, many health profs. only use CPR training during education sessions and THANK GOD not so much,it at all,the rest of the time.Found that to be the case when I talk to DH s colleagues. Think many tv shows have dr.s and nurses performing things they just don t do that often ,,for dramatic reasons,I m sure.;)

in an emergency, only right that he would help.Very upsetting with all his training,Really COULD have meant the difference between life and death.

Agree, many health profs. only use CPR training during education sessions and THANK GOD not so much,it at all,the rest of the time.Found that to be the case when I talk to DH s colleagues. Think many tv shows have dr.s and nurses performing things they just don t do that often ,,for dramatic reasons,I m sure.;)

The ER doc saw that the patient was in good hands. If 10 docs would have gotten up and offered help people would have scoffed at them for showing off IMHO. If this most capable nurse had asked for the assistance of another nurse or doctor it does sound like this ER doc was ready to help. I really do think that the flight attendants need more training in basic first aid. People have issues in shopping malls, arenas, schools ect and don't call out for physicians. In this case it was obviosly justified but it has been my experience that flight attendants tend to cry wolf often. Teachers deal with dizziness often, lifeguards and ice rink attendants are trained to deal with minor injuries And I think flight attendants should as well or the airlines should hire nurses and train them as flight attendants. Hoping that there is a doctor or nurse on board that is willing to help for the slightest thing is taking advantage of people. I am not talking about true emergencies but things that happen often like lightheadedness. With that said DH has always offered his help and me as well when asked but he also might have thought that the situation was being well handled by another health care provider. Remember they ask for A doctor or nurse NOT ALL doctors or nurses on board.

Wife is a RN. On one cruise she decided it might be interesting to visit the sick bay and see how it was equiped. The staff were very nice to her and gave her a full tour. Once they found out her background was ICU and ER the

y immediatly got out the literature on how to apply for a job and the sales pitch was in full swing. She took the info but never did apply.

The ER doc saw that the patient was in good hands. If 10 docs would have gotten up and offered help people would have scoffed at them for showing off IMHO. If this most capable nurse had asked for the assistance of another nurse or doctor it does sound like this ER doc was ready to help. I really do think that the flight attendants need more training in basic first aid. People have issues in shopping malls, arenas, schools ect and don't call out for physicians. In this case it was obviosly justified but it has been my experience that flight attendants tend to cry wolf often. Teachers deal with dizziness often, lifeguards and ice rink attendants are trained to deal with minor injuries And I think flight attendants should as well or the airlines should hire nurses and train them as flight attendants. Hoping that there is a doctor or nurse on board that is willing to help for the slightest thing is taking advantage of people. I am not talking about true emergencies but things that happen often like lightheadedness. With that said DH has always offered his help and me as well when asked but he also might have thought that the situation was being well handled by another health care provider. Remember they ask for A doctor or nurse NOT ALL doctors or nurses on board.

so I STILL think he should have offered.

But do agree about training,sure they must get some,but perhaps being EMT certified..or CPR certified,at least.Doubt nurses would do it unless PAY was much better.Know they USED to be nurses in old days,but that fell by the wayside.

Maybe call for a firefighter,,haha,,my son is one(paramedic)and does WAY more CPR than I EVER have.

In 2011 I got choked on something (still have no idea what) during first nights dinner in MDR aboard the Paradise. Waiter asked if I was OK and I nodded yes as I could still breathe, but there was something stuck in my throat. Got up and went to the restroom that is straight across the Atrium from the dining room and proceeded to cough, hack and retch in general in an effort to dislodge whatever was in there. Finally got it out, but when I looked in the mirror while washing my hands I was shocked to see that the white of my right eye was almost completely bloodshot. I mean solid red. This was a 5 day cruise, and by the third day BOTH eyes were solid red!:eek:

DW was starting to freak and I was getting a little nervous as well. Went to see the on board Doc and told him what had happened. The first thing he asked me was if I had had a cold recently. I said yes and he just smiled and said "Well, this will probably be the easiest money I make all week!" He told me that I had just popped a bunch of blood vessels because they were weakened by my being sick and that while I might look like a demon for a week or so, that I would be fine.

Got a lot of use out of my sunglasses that week!:rolleyes:

so I STILL think he should have offered.

But do agree about training,sure they must get some,but perhaps being EMT certified..or CPR certified,at least.Doubt nurses would do it unless PAY was much better.Know they USED to be nurses in old days,but that fell by the wayside.

Maybe call for a firefighter,,haha,,my son is one(paramedic)and does WAY more CPR than I EVER have.

You have to question if he really was a doctor. Why on earth would he even mention it afterwards? Who knows. I'm always surprised that they never ask for credentials but perhaps its because who knows who is even valid to practice a mile high anyways. In Europe if you fly 1hr you are often in another country after all. I think in this particular case you would get the feeling that things were quite serious. It really is a shame that Fear of being sued keeps someone from doing the right thing but court cases can eat up your cash and time so perhaps once burnt twice shy.

Paramedics are unsung heros that is for sure. Maybe one day Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and the likes can volunteer for flight emergencies in return for a 50% discount off of the flight. One per flight would be all that's required.:). In this day and age of lawsuits maybe it will come to that.

for that big a discount,or how about pay for economy and upgrade to business class.

Re.licenses checked.We never carry them overseas,just take minimum in wallet,in case its lost or stolen.Plus,no good there anyway.My DH was a pharmacist before med school and on our first trip to Europe,I needed antibiotics.He knew the license not honored for either,but when asked ,the pharmacist laughed and said RX not needed and gave them to us.We didnt know.:)

for that big a discount,or how about pay for economy and upgrade to business class.

Re.licenses checked.We never carry them overseas,just take minimum in wallet,in case its lost or stolen.Plus,no good there anyway.My DH was a pharmacist before med school and on our first trip to Europe,I needed antibiotics.He knew the license not honored for either,but when asked ,the pharmacist laughed and said RX not needed and gave them to us.We didnt know.:)

There would need to be a contract and check of credentials. DH has yet to be asked for his medical licence before, during or after assisting during a flight medical emergency up to now anyhow which we have always found very strange.

People who are asked to open the Emergency Exits at the instructions of the flight attendant in the case of an "incident" are not checked out in any depth either. They give their word that they are fit to assist.

DH always carrys his liscence. Worked out for us in St. Thomas when DD needed antibiotics.

Some interesting posts here to comment on.

In my OB career I've only performed CPR once before and that was over 30 years ago, but I participate in safety drills during the year, and of course remain certified in advanced life support. I credit the frequent drills for knowing what to do. The AED defibrillator was the key to saving his life.

A flight attendant and I performed two man CPR. If you have ever done CPR you know it is physically exhausting and switching off with compressions is recommended...during the time we were doing full CPR it really would have been great to be able to switch rolls and have additional help but the space is simply too limited.

Anyone can sign up for Heartsaver CPR classes that include using the AED defibrillator that is a key tool to saving lives. You do not need to be a professional or to know how to read ECGs. You put the pads where they illustrate and let the machine tell you step by step what to do...it's not half as scary as feeling unable to help and watching someone die!

And one last comment - the next flight I took on that airline (United) I coincidentally and the only time in my life, got upgraded to business class. :)

Some interesting posts here to comment on.

In my OB career I've only performed CPR once before and that was over 30 years ago, but I participate in safety drills during the year, and of course remain certified in advanced life support. I credit the frequent drills for knowing what to do. The AED defibrillator was the key to saving his life.

A flight attendant and I performed two man CPR. If you have ever done CPR you know it is physically exhausting and switching off with compressions is recommended...during the time we were doing full CPR it really would have been great to be able to switch rolls and have additional help but the space is simply too limited.

Anyone can sign up for Heartsaver CPR classes that include using the AED defibrillator that is a key tool to saving lives. You do not need to be a professional or to know how to read ECGs. You put the pads where they illustrate and let the machine tell you step by step what to do...it's not half as scary as feeling unable to help and watching someone die!

And one last comment - the next flight I took on that airline (United) I coincidentally and the only time in my life, got upgraded to business class. :)

Great point how anyone can help save a life with a CPR course. In all reality if there are no meds available anyone with CPR knowledge and AED training would be as valuable as most physicians and nurses in the situation that you described. In the hospital we are trained to recogonize signs and intervene before a patient has a cardiac arrest and therefore many healthcare professionals ( depending on their area of specialty of course) have little or no experience performing CPR on a person. I like the way you snuck in the teaching moment nurse.;):)

Edited by Karysa

There would need to be a contract and check of credentials. DH has yet to be asked for his medical licence before, during or after assisting during a flight medical emergency up to now anyhow which we have always found very strange.

People who are asked to open the Emergency Exits at the instructions of the flight attendant in the case of an "incident" are not checked out in any depth either. They give their word that they are fit to assist.

DH always carrys his liscence. Worked out for us in St. Thomas when DD needed antibiotics.

that would come in handy,he DOES carry a few cards.Have used that on occasion in Canada pain pills(nothing too strong,but by RX only).Also, in Yellowstone I fell and fx d my wrist,the clinic Dr.was not there and they looked at his card and he ordered xray,but clinic Dr.set it and put on cast.Geez, I could start a thread with all MY accidents while on vacations or cruises.Such a clutz.Best one, was in Split Croatia and manage to fall off a stage,land on knee,and NOT BREAK it.But it was dramatic,haha.

Carnival has a procedure through their special needs or special requests department and you can dispose of ashes at sea.

and they would need to get him cremated FIRST.Then transfer ashes back to ship.Think we were thinking of putting body overboard like you see in old movies.

We have had stories about companies who advertise they scatter ashes at sea,then boxes of them found in closets,etc.If you read about my adventure after my mom died(above),,always FEARED that maybe they DIDNT scatter them,and she was trying to tell me.But guess I ll have to wait till I join her to really find out...//??:o

The reason I ask is my DH is a surgeon and I m a semi retired RN)1 day/wk.Seems every time we travel,always SOMETHING.How about you?

Last time had a call on the plane to Europe for a Dr.or nurse to help out with emergency.A woman in labor, well DH has not done any OB work since school.Me,only my own child and observing during training.Really, not much we could do and she waited till we landed to give birth.

I could go on and on.Is it just us??

On cruise(a few yrs.ago)we had dinner with group.Naturally someone choked and DH did Heimlich manuver.

Guess these are not "funny" per se, but sort of odd situations.:confused:

I work in a hospital setting but am not in the medical Proffesion (Security).

Lots of my friends are RN's. It seems every cruise I end up meeting at least one nurse. A few years ago on a cruise one RN got cut on a jagged rock on an excursion. Guess who had a first aide kit? Yep me!:)

Last year I had a problem breathing, went to the ship Doctor who was very nice but really unsure of himself, asked me every step of the way if this is what my doctor at home would do.(Which is probably a good thing, but...) The Doctor told me IF I wanted to come back tomorrow for anther breathing treatment I could.

When the doctor left the room the nurse leaned over and sternly stated I WILL SEE YOU TOMORROW MORNING while shaking her head up and down. That nurse was absolutely correct I needed those next two treatments until the meds kicked in. New to a nebulizer so I needed guidance. The same nurse called me through out the cruise to make sure I was feeling better. Nurses are good people !! :) Go MNA!!!!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Not usually. The death needs to be certified by a medical examiner in the first port reached following the death. Then the will needs to be probated and all living relatives need to be contacted for their okay for a burial at sea. Then, generally only ashes are allowed to be spread at sea. We have done several of these, but not when the deceased is "fresh".

Would it be OK if I just tossed his body off the balcony?

I am CPR certified and have AED training yearly .While it would scare the bejesus out of me to put my training to the test. It would scare me more to live with myself If I did not assist someone and they died.

Is this statement for shock value:confused:

Well no.

Imagine the inconvenience of having to keep his carcass throughout the entire cruise, then the expenses of having to have it shipped, then buried.

Just looking at what would be most practical.

Well no.

Imagine the inconvenience of having to keep his carcass throughout the entire cruise, then the expenses of having to have it shipped, then buried.

That's what the 2-drawer morgue in the medical center is for, and the body is normally put ashore at the next port. The next of kin makes arrangements for shipment home from there, as soon as the local medical examiner releases it.

Well no.

Perhaps you should just take seperates vacations.

Would it be OK if I just tossed his body off the balcony?

Every cruise line that I've been on has had policies against throwing ANYTHING from a balcony. So that would be a "NO".

Well no.

Well, if you have travel insurance, like you should, then it shouldn't be too inconvenient. They'll store the body for you, but not through the whole cruise. They'll off load it at the next port. Insurance will pay to have the body shipped home. You can make all the arrangements by phone at the port. Also call the mortuary at home to arrange burial. Then get back on the ship and continue your cruise. Minimal inconvenience to you.

(and before everyone crawls down my throat about how callous I was, please know that my tongue was wedged firmly in my cheek as I write this).

Every cruise line that I've been on has had policies against throwing ANYTHING from a balcony. So that would be a "NO".

Well, if you have travel insurance, like you should, then it shouldn't be too inconvenient. They'll store the body for you, but not through the whole cruise. They'll off load it at the next port. Insurance will pay to have the body shipped home. You can make all the arrangements by phone at the port. Also call the mortuary at home to arrange burial. Then get back on the ship and continue your cruise. Minimal inconvenience to you.

(and before everyone crawls down my throat about how callous I was, please know that my tongue was wedged firmly in my cheek as I write

this).

No worries Mom Says

I think Callousness was already covered!:rolleyes:

Reader