Thoughts on Costa Maya

pcruz4ever

We're a group of 50 something's traveling on the NCL Dawn in February, some of us more active than others. None of us has been to this port before. Any recommendations from those who've been there before, what we have to do, what isn't worth the time? With only a few hours, we want to make the most of it!

• 3 weeks later...

We were just in Costa Maya last week and spent a wonderful relaxing day at a little resort called Maya Luna. It's a little ways out of the port area but definitely worth the effort. Not a ton of amenities, but what they have is great. Nice beach chairs, hammocks and shady spots. But, they best thing is the little restaurant and bar that are part of the complex. The owner, Carolien, is very accommodating and will bring whatever you like. You just need to contact them ahead of time so that they can be prepared for your arrival.

check out their website: http://hotelmayaluna.com/

They don't charge to visit but they do ask that you put a little bit of money down which is then deducted from your food/beverage charges. I sent in $25 via paypal for a group of 4. this was our third visit and as usual, had a wonderful day!

We were just in Costa Maya last week and spent a wonderful relaxing day at a little resort called Maya Luna. It's a little ways out of the port area but definitely worth the effort. Not a ton of amenities, but what they have is great. Nice beach chairs, hammocks and shady spots. But, they best thing is the little restaurant and bar that are part of the complex. The owner, Carolien, is very accommodating and will bring whatever you like. You just need to contact them ahead of time so that they can be prepared for your arrival.

They don't charge to visit but they do ask that you put a little bit of money down which is then deducted from your food/beverage charges. I sent in $25 via paypal for a group of 4. this was our third visit and as usual, had a wonderful day!

How did you get there? (We're going to be in Costa Maya the end of January)

How did you get there? (We're going to be in Costa Maya the end of January)

We rented a golf cart just outside of the port area - near where you get the taxis. It takes about 20 minutes to get there but the attendant can tell you the exact route. Basically, you travel south following the ocean front. You'll pass a few other places - they might try to get you to stop - but Maya Luna is worth the effort if you are looking for a nice quiet beach with good food and a beautiful, tranquil beach. You can also take a taxi but I don't know how much that will run as we have always rented the golf cart.

I forgot to mention that they also have free Wi-First!

That sounds great, if we had more time in port and were looking for a quiet day we would head there. I like yhe option of the golf cart. But we are on the beach only a few hours and the Tropicante sounds just right for us this visit. But maybe next trip if we're on NCL and in port longer - thanks for sharing!

Mapltc do you remember what the golf cart rental cost was? And was it gas-powered or battery? Did you drive along the shore all the way or along a road away from the shore? I've read there is a road away from the beach, and on some dune buggy excursions they return along the shore and hit beach bars they missed on the drive south.

I'm considering renting a cart or buggy and just heading south and stopping where we feel like as I know others have and really enjoyed that. But I need to find out more about what's to the south of Mahahual.

Tjhanks for your help, your idea got us thinking about this again rather than just plopping on a beach in the busier area.

Mapltc do you remember what the golf cart rental cost was? And was it gas-powered or battery? Did you drive along the shore all the way or along a road away from the shore? I've read there is a road away from the beach, and on some dune buggy excursions they return along the shore and hit beach bars they missed on the drive south.

I'm considering renting a cart or buggy and just heading south and stopping where we feel like as I know others have and really enjoyed that. But I need to find out more about what's to the south of Mahahual.

Tjhanks for your help, your idea got us thinking about this again rather than just plopping on a beach in the busier area.

Blue Water, I think the price of the golf cart, which was gas powered, was somewhat negotiable. We rented it for the whole day (we were in port from 8:00 am until 8:00 pm) for $60. Divided among two couples, that wasn't too bad. I would say that we pretty much followed the ocean front but couldn't see the water the whole time until we got past the light house.

We did pass quite a few bars along the way, but we haven't ever stopped at any of them so can't give you much more than that.

Good luck!

Thanks, very helpful. Have read many posts from folks renting the carts and enjoying not having to be at any particular place but your excursion sounds good too - that was to the south of the port, correct?

Thanks again! :)

Yes, it was south.

Happy Holidays!

• 3 weeks later...

Check out Maya Chan, FANTASTIC!!! http://www.costamayabeachresort.com

For $50 you get a great lunch and all the drinks you want. Excellent staff, clean and very friendly. A father and son from CA own and operate it

It 4-5 miles south of town, about a 20 minute cab ride (which is included). It does get a little bumpy, about 2/3 of the road is dirt / sand and you travel right along the beach.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=costa+maya+mexico&hl=en&ll=18.670123,-87.724717&spn=0.001685,0.002328&sll=41.117935,-77.604698&sspn=5.486327,9.536133&t=h&hnear=Majahual,+Quintana+Roo,+Mexico&z=19

Edited by Laszlo

• 4 weeks later...
Check out Maya Chan, FANTASTIC!!! http://www.costamayabeachresort.com

For $50 you get a great lunch and all the drinks you want. Excellent staff, clean and very friendly. A father and son from CA own and operate it

It 4-5 miles south of town, about a 20 minute cab ride (which is included). It does get a little bumpy, about 2/3 of the road is dirt / sand and you travel right along the beach.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=costa+maya+mexico&hl=en&ll=18.670123,-87.724717&spn=0.001685,0.002328&sll=41.117935,-77.604698&sspn=5.486327,9.536133&t=h&hnear=Majahual,+Quintana+Roo,+Mexico&z=19

It's $59, we are looking into booking this ourselves. Lots of great reviews.