Cruising out of San Juan

funone2

Has anyone booked a cruise out of San Juan? I heard that most of the people on the cruise ship are of hispanic descent and the announcements on the cruise ships are mostly in Spanish.

I find it hard to believe this is true ... can someone share their experience?

I've only been on one cruise out of San Juan, which was on the Celebrity Summit last year. While I'm sure there were some people speaking Spanish, and MAYBE the announcements were made in Spanish or other language as well as English, I'd say the vast majority of passengers were Americans and Canadians.

I can't imagine who told you that about cruises from there - unless that person was on Ibero Cruises, which is a Spanish cruise line.

Has anyone booked a cruise out of San Juan? I heard that most of the people on the cruise ship are of hispanic descent and the announcements on the cruise ships are mostly in Spanish.

We have cruised out of San Juan 4 times, 3 with Carnival and 1 with RCCL. I have found none of that true. Yes there are San Juan local people on the ship, but the majority are not, and even so, the different people from different locations make the cruise better, at least in my opinion. The announcements overhead are in English first, then Spanish and we have heard other languages too.

I have heard horror stories about people from PR overrunning the ships out of San Juan and have just never seen any bad behavior by the locals. I have seen bad behavior, but it is spread out over all people from all nations, and have never seen anything bad enough to cause me any problems or alter my cruise.

What you will experiece crusing out of PR is a great cruise experience. Most people fly in the day before, since distance etc can cause scarey flight delays. If you cruise Carnival, the ship docks in OSJ, so you get there at noon and have a whole day to get off the ship and explore Old San Juan. It's a bonus port day. RCCL port is not walking distance so it's not easy to go off the ship again.

Also cruising out of PR you usually get a more prot intensive cruise. It's less travel time to the main Caribbean islands.

Have Fun!! :)

We have cruised out of San Juan 4 times, 3 with Carnival and 1 with RCCL. I have found none of that true. Yes there are San Juan local people on the ship, but the majority are not, and even so, the different people from different locations make the cruise better, at least in my opinion. The announcements overhead are in English first, then Spanish and we have heard other languages too.

I have heard horror stories about people from PR overrunning the ships out of San Juan and have just never seen any bad behavior by the locals. I have seen bad behavior, but it is spread out over all people from all nations, and have never seen anything bad enough to cause me any problems or alter my cruise.

What you will experiece crusing out of PR is a great cruise experience. Most people fly in the day before, since distance etc can cause scarey flight delays. If you cruise Carnival, the ship docks in OSJ, so you get there at noon and have a whole day to get off the ship and explore Old San Juan. It's a bonus port day. RCCL port is not walking distance so it's not easy to go off the ship again.

Also cruising out of PR you usually get a more prot intensive cruise. It's less travel time to the main Caribbean islands.

Have Fun!! :)

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like you heard the same rumors as me ... bad behavior by locals, etc. That's one reason I wanted some feedback to see if it was true or just rumors.

I've been on 14 cruises and enjoy meeting people from all over the world. On those cruises, I've witnessed alot of bad behavior ... mostly by teens. Once I got onto the elevator, and there were 4 - 5 of them sitting on the floor eating pizza and just riding up and down. I was disappointed and shocked by their behavior. About an hour later, I was back on the same elevator .. and their leftovers and plates were on the floor. ugh!

I'm excited of the idea to cruise out of San Juan for the reason you mentioned ... its port intensive. And, I can get to islands further south.

I am hoping to fly in on a Saturday, overnight and then cruise out on a Sunday.

Thanks again for the input :p

I've only been on one cruise out of San Juan, which was on the Celebrity Summit last year. While I'm sure there were some people speaking Spanish, and MAYBE the announcements were made in Spanish or other language as well as English, I'd say the vast majority of passengers were Americans and Canadians.

I can't imagine who told you that about cruises from there - unless that person was on Ibero Cruises, which is a Spanish cruise line.

Thanks for the feedback. I can't remember where I heard the info ... probably while cruising elsewhere. It's possible that whomever told me, was a bit prejudice too!

I am looking into a PR cruise ... mostly to see more southern ports. Thanks again :p

Eeww.. what cruise line were on you with the pizza-eating teens? That's disgusting.

I may have recently responded to your request for info on southern Caribbean ports, but if not, I really LOVED San Juan and Barbados. St. Lucia is nice, too (we took the tour by Cosol). Curacao, if you go there, is definitely different with all of its color, Dutch influence, etc.

It doesn't sound like you're looking at Celebrity if the cruises you're looking at are on Sunday. However, that may work out well for you, as airfares are normally cheaper on Saturday than Sunday and most days, so you'll get to see beautiful San Juan without spending a lot of money on Sunday flights!

Edited by roothy123

Eeww.. what cruise line were on you with the pizza-eating teens? That's disgusting.

I may have recently responded to your request for info on southern Caribbean ports, but if not, I really LOVED San Juan and Barbados. St. Lucia is nice, too (we took the tour by Cosol). Curacao, if you go there, is definitely different with all of its color, Dutch influence, etc.

It doesn't sound like you're looking at Celebrity if the cruises you're looking at are on Sunday. However, that may work out well for you, as airfares are normally cheaper on Saturday than Sunday and most days, so you'll get to see beautiful San Juan without spending a lot of money on Sunday flights!

I've cruised on RC, Carnival and HA. I suspect it might have been a Carnival during spring break timing (no, I'm too old to be a spring breaker :p) ... I honestly can't remember.

I've been to St Lucia and Barbados, but wouldn't mind going back. I'm interested in the ABC's, Dominica, and Granada ... since I haven't been to any of them yet.

Since I will probably be traveling solo, I'll look for the best ports with the best prices. On my last cruise, I spent the day in San Juan, so have already done the 'tourist' thing there. Although a day tour could be an option.

I have a friend in STT so am thinking about flying there for a few days, and then take a short flight to SJ and just board the ship. We'll see :p

I am always surprised when people ask about cruises leaving out of SJ and if there are alot of "locals". Well, of course there are locals, just like when you cruise out of barcelona, Venice or London. There will be "locals'.

I believe you just don't feel very comfortable with the "locals".

I suggest you avoid the cruise and go another route so you won't have to worry about "locals". You might need to also avoid Florida, NY, well you might just need to stay home.

I have met so many people on cruises and we have had so much fun. My advice, leave your prejudices at home and then you don't have to worry about it.

I suggest you avoid the cruise and go another route so you won't have to worry about "locals". You might need to also avoid Florida, NY, well you might just need to stay home.

I think a slightly more careful reading of the thread would indicate that OP just heard a bad rumor, and was relieved to hear that it was just that. I see no indication that anyone has expressed any prejudice - quite the contrary.

I am always surprised when people ask about cruises leaving out of SJ and if there are alot of "locals". Well, of course there are locals, just like when you cruise out of barcelona, Venice or London. There will be "locals'.

I believe you just don't feel very comfortable with the "locals".

I have met so many people on cruises and we have had so much fun. My advice, leave your prejudices at home and then you don't have to worry about it.

I would suggest that you re-read this thread before you put words in my mouth or make false accusations against me. I live in FL and am from Chi-town so I have had plenty interactions with people from all over the world. I am not prejudice and have never been.

I was merely asking a question based on comments I heard from others.

Well I believe that if you are not prejudiced, that question would not come up at all based on the popularity of the cruises out of SJ.

Happy travels.

Uri1961 ... I find it unfortunate that you have turned a simple question into an accusation of prejudice. I feel that your comments are rude and unwelcome.

I will be reporting your posts to have them removed from this thread.

To others on this thread, thank you for your understanding of the question and feedback.

I'm also starting to think about a cruise out of San Juan. I have a resort trip there potentially next November, so I was thinking of extending it with a cruise.

I've stayed at a resort in Puerto Rico before, over an Easter vacation. The way it was set up, we had part of the vacation spent with "locals" on their holiday and tourists from a large, East Coast bi-state metropolitan area where they speak with a very distinctive accent ;). The "locals" were much more pleasant to be around than those nasty, loudmouths from the US. Lounge chair fights, snapping fingers at the servers, shouting at each other, it wasn't nice…

Edited by slidergirl

I'm a little confused here. I thought people from Puerto Rico were Americans.

Puerto Rico is an American territory and the predominant language is Spanish.

I have taken 2, soon to be three, cruises out of San Juan. I love it as a port and the fact the ship can get deeper into the Caribbean than most ships originating elsewhere. I would be the first to complain about extra noise or bad behavior and have seen absolutely none of that.

Well, I am learning something here, and that is that I want to continue to be an old lady who goes to places to see the sights, and might not want to go to beach resorts during spring break! If I do, I'll steer myself away from people eating in the elevators of cruise ships and boisterous groups of people on the beach! Of course, I suspect that loud, rude bi-state folks (or their counterparts from any state, territory or country!) or rude pizza eating cruisers will, luckily, be few and far between!

Anyway, I didn't hear any prejudice in the OP's question or answer, just something asked out of curiosity. I once considered cruising on an Italian line, but before booking, I wondered if all the announcements were in Italian, and if there would be anyone on the ship who spoke English. I would hate to not know what was going on or be unable to talk to at least some people on the ship. I also once took a tour in Curacao which was only given in Dutch, since that's the principal language there. I was the only American on the tour, and I can tell you that it helps to be able to understand what's being said! Therefore, I see nothing wrong in getting first-hand information from people who have experienced something you want to experience, so you can make a decision that's good for you!

Edited by roothy123

Hi all!!

I am Puertorrican...living in San Juan. I has took 6 cruises from San Juan. What I honestly can tell you, in summer time,(i mean June and July) You will see around 1,000 passengers from Puerto Rico. I guarantee you that! LOL! :D Rest of the year you will see maybe around 300-500. If you are extrovert, you will enjoy the cruise with many locals. Is all about personality, not about where we comes from. That's my humble opinion. I was in a Celebrity cruise from San Juan in December(11 days)..and most tourists were outsiders(not locals). I love it! Why? i am introvert! (some people say i am anti-social! LOL! :D) but i am not! I just want to be away from any noise and be in a quiet place. So, doesn't' matter if is Puertorrican, German, american, Canadian, Japanese, Chinese, etc who is doing noise, I will be mad! LOL! But hey! Is a cruise..on vacation...with food...and food...and more food! Did i said food? LOL! So..can't beat that anywhere else!! Well, all of you know. ;)

Have a blast in your vacation and enjoy!! :D

Anyway, I didn't hear any prejudice in the OP's question or answer, just something asked out of curiosity. I once considered cruising on an Italian line, but before booking, I wondered if all the announcements were in Italian, and if there would be anyone on the ship who spoke English. I would hate to not know what was going on or be unable to talk to at least some people on the ship. I also once took a tour in Curacao which was only given in Dutch, since that's the principal language there. I was the only American on the tour, and I can tell you that it helps to be able to understand what's being said! Therefore, I see nothing wrong in getting first-hand information from people who have experienced something you want to experience, so you can make a decision that's good for you!

Thanks for your support ... you're right ... I was just asking a question out of curiosity since I had heard different stories during my cruise travels.

Its interesting how people can quickly jump to conclusions.

Anyway ... I've booked my cruise for Feb and will definitely be going out of San Juan. I can't wait :p.

This past January, San Juan was one of the ports on my cruise and I had a blast touring Old San Juan and learning more about the history and culture of the people of Puerto Rico. I'm hoping to have a day or two before the cruise to do some exploring outside of the main city .... in particular, I'd love to head across country to Arecibo.

Anyway ... I have been brushing up on my Spanish. I work with quite a few people from Cuba and they have been helpful in that process. Also, I have been in contact with friends who live in PR hoping they can find some time to show me around the island.

Edited by funone2

Hi all!!

I am Puertorrican...living in San Juan. I has took 6 cruises from San Juan. What I honestly can tell you, in summer time,(i mean June and July) You will see around 1,000 passengers from Puerto Rico. I guarantee you that! LOL! :D Rest of the year you will see maybe around 300-500. If you are extrovert, you will enjoy the cruise with many locals. Is all about personality, not about where we comes from. That's my humble opinion. I was in a Celebrity cruise from San Juan in December(11 days)..and most tourists were outsiders(not locals). I love it! Why? i am introvert! (some people say i am anti-social! LOL! :D) but i am not! I just want to be away from any noise and be in a quiet place. So, doesn't' matter if is Puertorrican, German, american, Canadian, Japanese, Chinese, etc who is doing noise, I will be mad! LOL! But hey! Is a cruise..on vacation...with food...and food...and more food! Did i said food? LOL! So..can't beat that anywhere else!! Well, all of you know. ;)

Have a blast in your vacation and enjoy!! :D

Hi Castro ... thanks for your input. I am definitely an extrovert, so look forward to meeting, as you put it, locals! The Puerto Rican men I met on a visit to San Juan this past January were mucho SEXY ... :p

I have been on several cruises out of San Juan and just returned from one 2 weeks ago, awesome cruise on Celebrity Summit.

I have been on two Royal Caribbean cruises out of Panama, which is called an "immersion" cruise and is marketed more to those living in Panama and Columbia. The announcements and entertainment were all in Spanish and English was a secondary language, although the crew all spoke both. Maybe this is the type of cruise you are referring to. On both of those cruises I took there were only about 100 passengers who spoke English, they had a special meet and mingle for us.

We had a wonderful time and enjoyed it very much. I loved watching the Latin American's dance and party!

We stayed in at the El Conquistador hotel for a week in August once. The other guests were mostly large groups of Puerto Rican families. They liked to have a lot of fun and were very expressive.

It did not distract from our experience and at times we even found it entertaining to 'people watch'.

August is family holiday time so I would suspect that cruises departing at this time of year would have a higher proportion of local families.

The same would hold true of all cruises, the time of year and the length of the cruise seem to have a big impact on the type of passengers that book. This is something we really hadn't considered until we did a 14 night repositioning cruise. We won't be doing that again, or at least not for another 15 years.......

Looking forward to cruising from San Juan, we have done many land holidays there . In fact I just booked a second San Juan departing cruise last night . :D

you will definitely love the cruise out of San Juan. We have cruised out of there 4 times and each time is better than the last. (links to my reviews in my signature) The people are awesome both on the ship and in Puerto Rico. They are a great people, so much fun to be around. Stay some extra time if you can , to get to experience the local flavor. Enjoy your cruise.:D