Documentation for son's friend

Jt4428

We are on the Freedom Christmas week cruise next month. It is my husband, myself, daughter (15), son (20) and son's friend (20). When I booked, I called RCCL and asked if I needed any documentation from son's friend's parents for him to go on the cruise with us. They said, no he is 20 years old. Today I decided to call to make sure since we are getting closer to the sailing date. The RCCL rep that I spoke to today said, yes he is not 21 so you need a notarized letter from his parents. I don't know which is right or wrong, but to be cautious, we will get a letter from his parents authorizing him to go on the cruise with us and if he needs emergency medical treatment. We don't want to be waving goodbye to our son's friend at the port as we board the ship. LOL

We are on the Freedom Christmas week cruise next month. It is my husband, myself, daughter (15), son (20) and son's friend (20). When I booked, I called RCCL and asked if I needed any documentation from son's friend's parents for him to go on the cruise with us. They said, no he is 20 years old. Today I decided to call to make sure since we are getting closer to the sailing date. The RCCL rep that I spoke to today said, yes he is not 21 so you need a notarized letter from his parents. I don't know which is right or wrong, but to be cautious, we will get a letter from his parents authorizing him to go on the cruise with us and if he needs emergency medical treatment. We don't want to be waving goodbye to our son's friend at the port as we board the ship. LOL

In your case you are making the right decision to have the paperwork regardless of what you have been told. Best to err on the safe side as you never know what might happen.

Non-family members under the age of 18 yrs. of age need a notarized letter (from a parent or guardian) including authorization to allow emergency medical treatment and any other permission needed onboard...

So as a 20 yr. old he/you won't...however just to play it safe I would have this letter with me from his parent.

You do not need a notorized letter for an 18 year old, they are an adult. You are still considered the responsible party since he is under the age to be able to book the cruise on his own. You do not need anything to authorize medical treatment because he is over 18 and he has to give permisson to his parents to actually see any of his medical information.

Just for safety sake, have this young person bring you his required Travel Documents... Birth Certificate, passport and drivers license. Carefully look them over to make sure they comply with the requirements to board the ship.

Drivers license and passport - valid?? Not expired???

Drivers Lic. Name match the name on the birth certificate??

The birth cert. must be a State Issued original, not the hospital one given at birth.

Was this boy actually born in the US and not born abroad to a US citizen.

You want to, as I like to say, "touch it, feel it and read" his documents over carefully. Do this ASAP in case you need to get something fixed! Then put his papers with those of your families now, they will be all in one Envelope for travel day. Ask the boys to show you their Drivers Lic BEFORE leaving for the airport!

There would be nothing worse than to trust a 20 yr old as he says, "oh ya I've got all that stuff". Take this opportunity to also get all your families papers out too, double check expiration dates on Drivers Lic and passports, make sure every ones papers are in order!

This will make travel day a stress free adventure! Have a great time :)

Edited by nana541

Thanks all. My son's friend came over last night, showed me his passport and driver's license and the name on it was exactly how I booked his airfare and cruise ticket. We are going to have his parent's do the notarized letter to air on the side of caution (even though we got conflicting response on the correct age).

I took my cousin's 14-year-old daughter with us on our July cruise on the Jewel and I am so glad I had that letter of consent in hand. I knew that I needed it but I wasn't sure if they were going to ask to see it or not. The agent checking paperwork in San Juan right after you give the porters your bags told me he was glad we had it because he would have had to turn us away if we didn't. She would have been heartbroken.

I just Googled "letter of consent forms" and printed one out for her mom to fill out. Our friend is a notary public so I met him at the bar downstairs from our house, bought him a beer and he signed the letter for me! lol

Hope this helps.