Panama Canal Semi Live from Zuiderdam 29 Nov through 9 December 2013

IRL_Joanie

Have a great trip - looking forward to the reports.

If you see this in time - please say hi to Roy for me:D

RATS!!!

I saw this before we left home yesterday and forgot completely:(

Sorry Jacqui............Joanie was a baddddddddddddd girl.....

Joanie

RATS!!!

I saw this before we left home yesterday and forgot completely:(

Sorry Jacqui............Joanie was a baddddddddddddd girl.....

Joanie

no worries Joanie. I enjoyed finally meeting him - I'm sure you did too:)

Hi

Have a wonderful cruise if anyone is cabin 6069 you will love it. Just do not add any soap to water in the tub or you have more bubbles than water and will need to shower to get rid of them. Its a great cruise and the cabin is o die for.

say hi to the men and woman in the Ocean bar and my favorite wine steward Rodelio.

Mary

Well it is now the night before we embark:)

All the bags are packed we're ready to go..... sounds like a song from them thar "Good Ole Days, the 70's:)

Picked up 2 fellow CC members at the Amtrak stattionm went to dinner and now tis bed time.

I HOPE to be up watching my favorite HAL ship pull into port via my Net Book but...

See y'all tomorrow:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Joanie,

Looking forward to "joining" you on this sailing (even, if only in spirit). We will be onboard "for real" next March. Last sailed on O-dam in 2004. I'm sure some things have changed. :)

Thank you for allowing us to "tag along".

Bon Voyage !!! We'll be watching at Sail Away.

Ray in NH

Joanie,

Looking forward to "joining" you on this sailing (even, if only in spirit). We will be on board "for real" next March.

Thank you for allowing us to "tag along".

Bon Voyage !!! We'll be watching at Sail Away.

Ray in NH

Poor form to quote one's self, but need to fix my goof :o Too late to edit.

Comment about last sailing on O-dam (now removed) should have been on different thread . Next March, will be our first time on Z-dam.

Sorry for the interruption.

Ray in NH

Edited by Ray in NH

Hi Joanie-

Right now, I am picturing you just finishing your unpacking, after having a lovely embarkation lunch in the MDR. Soon you will wend your way toward the Muster Drill (BTW, I wish you much more luck with this one than that last little mess!)I am anxiously waiting for your next posting!

Keep her warm for us. We are 4 weeks away!:)

TL

IRLJoanie, please report - (or anyone else who knows!) - on which side of the present canal is the construction or the new locks? I wonder how things will change when they are completed.

Oh, yes, please report on the construction. We do the full transit in Feb. and starting to get excited. Bon Voyage, Joanie, have a wonderful cruise!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

:D It seems to me that, going from the Atlantic to the Pacific (north to south?) the new construction will be on the starboard side of the ship. Of course, I may be completely turned around. I imagine the new locks will be used mainly for non-Panamax ships?

Okay, I finally read the legend - so one will be on the port side, and the other on the starboard side.

Edited by Vict0riann

On a Atl-Pac transit the new locks will be on the port side for the Atlantic locks. On the Pacific side the new locks will be on the starboard side. There will be "more" to see on the Pacific side because of the excavation required to build the Pacific Access Channel. The PAC is required to connect the new locks with Gaillard Cut which will bypass Miraflores Lake and eliminate the need for two sets of locks on the Pacific side. For those of you taking a Canal cruise within the next 6 months or so, an item of interest to see at a fairly close distance is the first of the new rolling gates which have been landed on the Atlantic side. Presently there are four gates with another 12 to follow. They will begin installation first on the Atlantic Locks sometime later in 2014. On a Atl-Pac transit they will be on the port side before arrival at Gatun Locks Of course if you are on a Pac-Atl transit just switch sides of the ship and order of appearance.

The excavation for the PAC is very visible from the ship, that's the good news. The bad news is except for a few fleeting glances at a distance there is not much visible of the construction of the new locks from the ship. Even though the new locks are relatively close to the present locks their low profile and terrain doesn't afford much to see. The construction cranes will probably be the item that is the most prominent. There has been a visitor's center added to the Atlantic locks construction site which lets you get fairly close to see the on going work, I am not aware of a similar facility on the Pacific side.