Rude Passengers

suntan

You will find rude people wherever you go....being a cruise ship or the grocery store! End of story..:)

While that is true, I have personally found FEWER rude people on cruises than anywhere else. On Princess and Celebrity, especially, it seems there are really classy people, for the most part.

Way back when before kids cruised a lot, we took my then 8 YO son with us on a cruise. We were heading to dinner and as an energetic kid he walked quicker then we did down the hallway. He rounded the corner and pushed the elevator button. We were about 20 seconds behind him. I turn the corner and there is an elderly man who is yelling at him and I do mean YELLING - and then at me - for allowing my son "to play" with the elevator. We actually could hear him before we saw him and before we turned the corner.

Talk about elevator etiquette! What is wrong with people?

Wow... that would have been really upsetting. :eek: We cruise with our children and spend a great deal of time going over proper behavior (on board and on land) and on our last cruise (a 28 day on the Sapphire) their fellow passengers were unfailingly kind to them.

That was really low of him to single a child out and yell at him like that. :mad:

The original poster wasn't speaking derogatorily about any person or age group. OP was recounting her personal experience and how she felt about it. I'm amazed at how quickly others will attempt to "correct" someone for how they felt about a situation they were actually in! Defensive much??

There is a big difference in accidentally bumping someone, hitting them or putting your hands out (onto them) to avoid a collision and "making a path for yourself". Rudeness is rampant these days everywhere, but a cruise ship is usually a great mini-population that you will experience it in. A lot of people feel entitled to do what they want and will find a way to do it whether there is another person in the way or not.

Mistakes and accidents happen but rudeness happens too! People of every race, nationality and age group are guilty of it and the original poster is entitled to her impressions. I've experienced the same on a Royal Caribbean cruise and even more on a Disney Cruise.

There are plenty of kind people on every cruise...I have a wonky knee & was leaning against a wall and waiting for the spasms to subside. A passenger came over to see if I needed any help. Gotta love people like that.

Steve

Hi remember on our 19 night Singapore to Sydney cruise my children were 2.5, 5, 7. It was our first family Xmas cruise.

We experienced a mixed reaction with our kids onboard from other passengers. My youngest son is very sociable and loved saying hello to everyone in the lift. Some would acknowledge him and others would look at him like he ruined their day! Another time we met some wonderful people by the pool who we talked to and were happy to let the kids talk, play and interact. One lady felt it was her given right to tell us she didn't like children and to do laps in the pool between us and rudely asked us to MOVE out of the way including our new friend. He kindly told her the pool was for everyone and if she wanted to do laps and be away from children she should MOVE to the adults only pool! I appreciated him standing up for us was so hurt as it was our first experience of rude passengers during that trip!

There were passengers that made remarks, were demanding and so rude to the crew and that sense of I'm better than you attitude!

On the other side though because of my social son he decided one day to show the table next to him in the Horizon Court his belly I was so Embarrassed and apologised. They said it was cute and decided to have a chat with him. That was nearly eight years ago and from that began how friendship. We have all traveled together since and will be together on the Royal this Xmas.

There are friendly and rude people everywhere and it take a lot not to respond to every rude self entitled person you meet.

I have decided to use those kids as an example to my kids and how that is the way some people are. They know that being friendly and polite is a much better way to be!

In regards to the 8yo running ahead of his parents to push the elevator button (ummm normal kids to me) and that man telling him off that is a prime example of the rudeness parents and kids deal with. There was no need for him to yell at that boy he didn't do anything wrong and if people like that don't like kids then they have two options go on a ship that doesn't have kids or learn to be nice to other people and enjoy life!

Kids are kids! Princess has kids clubs so therefore they encourage families with kids to be onboard both in the organised activities as well as with their families by the pool, in the food court, in the restaurant, in elevators and around the ship! They are paying passengers and have feelings and are sometimes noisy!

As our cruise draws closer I'm preparing myself but at least I know cruising at Christmas and New Year again it is the busiest time of the year with kids. There will be all different ages, experiences, attitudes both good and bad but I know I'm not going to let it worry me and I will show respect to the crew because they are amazing, be respectful to those around me and make more lasting friendships and memories.

I have lost two friends this year in their 40s from Cancer and both have taught me about how precious life is that we need to see the glass half full in all situations and it is what it is and we can't always change things or people no matter how hard we try.

Enjoy life!

Cheers Danni

The original poster wasn't speaking derogatorily about any person or age group. OP was recounting her personal experience and how she felt about it. I'm amazed at how quickly others will attempt to "correct" someone for how they felt about a situation they were actually in! Defensive much??

There is a big difference in accidentally bumping someone, hitting them or putting your hands out (onto them) to avoid a collision and "making a path for yourself". Rudeness is rampant these days everywhere, but a cruise ship is usually a great mini-population that you will experience it in. A lot of people feel entitled to do what they want and will find a way to do it whether there is another person in the way or not.

Mistakes and accidents happen but rudeness happens too! People of every race, nationality and age group are guilty of it and the original poster is entitled to her impressions. I've experienced the same on a Royal Caribbean cruise and even more on a Disney Cruise.

Thank you Jen! I was just thinking the same thing. If OP's experiences all related to a certain age group, why is she not allowed to say so? She is not saying she has a problem with the elderly, or that a ping pong ball ruined her vacation. She is saying that people were rude to her and it made her angry. Could their be extenuating circumstances? Absolutely. But all she is saying is that "sorry" and "excuse me" go a long way.

As for hands on stuff talked about earlier, this is different to every person. Some people love personal contact and some DON'T. I'm an only child, and because of that grew up spending a lot of time by myself. A byproduct of that is that I don't really like physical contact from people I don't know. I certainly don't feel like I'm missing anything, and I'm not naive enough to think that when walking through the ship gangway I'm won't occasionally get bumped into to.

IMO, people are being way to hard on OP.

UGH!!! That comment makes my blood boil! How rude, crude, unattractive and just plain stupid. I would have said "Weight is a problem that can be fixed.... you, sir, have an affliction that is much more difficult to cure." :rolleyes:

There are cultures like mine where being fat is a sign of wealth and good living. Pounds are worn with pride. We can't assume everyone has the same insecurities. In this situation I would have smiled and ask for more. I might have send him for dessert.

Yes, many rude people in the world as much as overly sensitive ones. Now, touching is suspect, compliments are offensive, and a ping pong ball a weapon of annoyance. If you post on any forum, we must be prepare that some of the posters here take real cruises with their wonderful personalities. :rolleyes:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

In this situation I would have smiled and ask for more. I might have send him for dessert.

Or said you prefer pineapple pizza with double anchovies. If that doesn't get rid of him nothing will.

Steve

I am English and to use your fork in your strong hand (i.e right hand if right handed) is very bad manners but I have noticed many North Americans scooping their food in such a manner, so I assume it doesn't mean anything bad to those people and try to 'go with the flow' but I can't help but notice it!

This reminds me of a story about my childhood best friend. During college she spent a year in Switzerland on scholarship and picked up the habit of using her fork in the European style with the knife used to push the food towards it. When she came back her very proper Virginian mother insisted that she cease since to mom it looked as if she was shoveling her food in her mouth instead of putting the fork down between bites and using the knife only for cutting and spreading which is the polite American usage.

I suppose each side of the pond thinks the other respective fork preference is bad manners. LOL

I have been using the European fork/knife system for decades, & will still get strange looks.

I too use the European fork/knife system.

The strange looks I get are usually from Europeans who know I'm an American ... must be from busting down their stereotype.

You bring up a very good point. While trying not to tread on too many toes, from reports that I have read about cruise lines, on these boards, I believe that there must be fewer rude passengers on the lines that my wife and I sail on, Princess and HAL.

john

This reminds me of a story about my childhood best friend. During college she spent a year in Switzerland on scholarship and picked up the habit of using her fork in the European style with the knife used to push the food towards it.

When I was on coral, the gent at the next table was using his

thumb to push food onto his fork. We both had reservations,

so I got to see him frequently.

I (jokingly) asked the head waiter if he could speak to the gent

about it, but no go.