Very Embarrassed - Don't Think I'll Travel Carnival after this upcoming cruise

JimmyJ

I just wanted to tell you of an episode this past weekend that was very embarrassing and I've not even taken the cruise yet (Dec. 03 - Carnival Splendor).

We are seniors (physically, not mentally) however, we booked this cruise several months ago out of NYC. Took balcony stateroom in the Cloud9 Spa area. This is my 2nd Carnival cruise (last one in 2009) - but this will be my 20th cruise overall.

Through the Fun Shops, I ordered some food/snacks/birthday cake and even a cash card. For sail-a-way, I ordered a bottle of champagne. I also ordered a wine package (5 bottles) to use during the cruise.

This past Saturday night, went to friends for dinner and was told that they tried ordering a bottle of sparkling wine to be sent to the cabin for my birthday (4 days after cruise departed) and was told "NO" -

Here's the response they got from doing this ONLINE:

{QUOTE}

Sorry, there were some problems with your submission:

Carnival believes in safety first. Please note there is a maximum of two alcohol products per booking available through The Fun Shops. This booking already contains two or more alcohol products. Please remove or reduce the item quantity of alcohol specific products in your cart or you can choose another booking if you need to. Thank you.

{END QUOTE}

So since I had already ordered things for MYSELF - by MYSELF - No one can order any alcohol for me as a gift. They couldn't even order a BAR CARD !!!

My friend then kidded me by asking "How much alcohol are you drinking on board that they stop me from giving you a bottle for your birthday - even though it's more on the ship than on land?" While I had a laugh, I was embarrassed. I suggested they bypass the website and call directly to the Fun Shops. Guess what?? SAME ANSWER.

So.. Don't order any alcohol for yourself if you might think that someone would surprise you with a bottle 'cause they might not be able to.

NO OTHER CARRIER that I have experienced have ever done this - even carriers that are under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.

So - now my friend will post on his extensive website and subscriber base telling them not to travel Carnival if the carrier thinks that their passengers are drunkards and unable to have more than 2 bottles per stateroom for a cruise.

No wonder so many people on this forum become Run Runners.

From the quote "Carnival believes in safety first" - What a laugh! All they care about is sucking more money from your wallet - and telling you that you can't handle your beverages. And then they want more money for you to have your room ready when you check in - just another way to suck $50 more from you even before you board.

What a crock.

Carnival has totally lost my support. I now wonder what other "rules" Carnival will have on the upcoming cruise!

JimmyJ

I just wanted to tell you of an episode this past weekend that was very embarrassing and I've not even taken the cruise yet (Dec. 03 - Carnival Splendor).

We are seniors (physically, not mentally) however, we booked this cruise several months ago out of NYC. Took balcony stateroom in the Cloud9 Spa area. This is my 2nd Carnival cruise (last one in 2009) - but this will be my 20th cruise overall.

Through the Fun Shops, I ordered some food/snacks/birthday cake and even a cash card. For sail-a-way, I ordered a bottle of champagne. I also ordered a wine package (5 bottles) to use during the cruise.

This past Saturday night, went to friends for dinner and was told that they tried ordering a bottle of sparkling wine to be sent to the cabin for my birthday (4 days after cruise departed) and was told "NO" -

{QUOTE}

Carnival believes in safety first. Please note there is a maximum of two alcohol products per booking available through The Fun Shops. This booking already contains two or more alcohol products. Please remove or reduce the item quantity of alcohol specific products in your cart or you can choose another booking if you need to. Thank you.

{END QUOTE}

So since I had already ordered things for MYSELF - by MYSELF - No one can order any alcohol for me as a gift. They couldn't even order a BAR CARD !!!

My friend then kidded me by asking "How much alcohol are you drinking on board that they stop me from giving you a bottle for your birthday - even though it's more on the ship than on land?" While I had a laugh, I was embarrassed. I suggested they bypass the website and call directly to the Fun Shops. Guess what?? SAME ANSWER.

So.. Don't order any alcohol for yourself if you might think that someone would surprise you with a bottle 'cause they might not be able to.

NO OTHER CARRIER that I have experienced have ever done this - even carriers that are under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.

So - now my friend will post on his extensive website and subscriber base telling them not to travel Carnival if the carrier thinks that their passengers are drunkards and unable to have more than 2 bottles per stateroom for a cruise.

From the quote "Carnival believes in safety first" - What a laugh! All they care about is sucking more money from your wallet - and telling you that you can't handle your beverages. And then they want more money for you to have your room ready when you check in - just another way to suck $50 more from you even before you board.

What a crock.

Carnival has totally lost my support. I now wonder what other "rules" Carnival will have on the upcoming cruise!

JimmyJ

I think its a bit over dramatic to never sail a cruise line because a friend couldn't buy you a bottle of wine

I think it would be fair to say that the Carnival representative did not handle this in a tactful way........sorry!

I dont think there was a representative. I think it was an automated response after they tried to book it online.

after rereading it they did call the funshops but I dont see how they representative did wrong if that was the policy.

Edited by hftmrock

It does sound silly, especially when everyone can order a wine package when they board. It doesn't have to be consumed in the dining room. I have often retrieved a bottle from the atrium bar and taken it to my room, or even on the Lido deck where they provided a bucket of ice and plastic wine glasses.

It is charged to your S&S card and I assume though your booking is linked, everyone has their own method of payment. If that's the case, you should have no problem getting all the wine you desire. Still, it's strange you should have to find an alternate route.

I'm not a prude by any means but that seems reasonable. Whats stopping someone from ordering 10+ bottles of something and going crazy?

It really has nothing to do with you, but probably just a general liability issue. Seems like they could probably stand to raise it to two purchases per person, but I'm sure a lawyer somewhere had their reasons.

Sent from my Lenovo Yoga Tablet

Well since Carnival owns Princess they will still get your money. Actually more of it because it costs a little more to cruise Princess.

We cruised on Princess last year for less than the cost of cruising on Carnival . Pricing was a balcony room ,7 day southern Caribbean .549.00 :D

Jimmy, Yes, I know, crazy rules. We just returned from the Legend, and I had an embarrassing situation too. By your picture we appear to be close in the age bracket.............not spring breakers. We were getting back on the ship after a very fun snorkel excursion. My sister was traveling with us and when we get together we turn into school girls and giggle. Well, we were going through the ships security, we were giggling, and I stumbled. I do have a "funny" foot and do not need any alcohol to loose my balance, even walked with a cane for four days after that. Yes, I had a cane packed for this very purpose.

We had lunch and returned to our cabin. There was a knock on our door, it was security. They locked our mini bar and took away my drinking priveleges for 24 hours as they "thought" I was drunk. DH and I went to the service desk to ask for a test........walk a straight line, say abc's etc. They refused to give me one. No amount of my medical condition was listened to.........very embarrassing for me. Never sent me to the Doctor, it was security's decision. When we returned to our room an invitation for an open bar past guest party was on our bed.......Go figure!!!:eek: And we even won a bottle of bubbly that evening!

You are correct, have to order some rum runners!:)

{QUOTE}

{END QUOTE}

What a crock.

JimmyJ

Hate to tell you this, but, Carnival will make more off of you drinking in the bars than they will in your room. I know your pain, I like Long Island Teas, mixed my way. Hard to make them with only two bottles...lol. Enjoy your cruise!