Very Embarrassed - Don't Think I'll Travel Carnival after this upcoming cruise

JimmyJ

This is dumb. If you would have read the beer and liquor restrictions before purchasing all this stuff you would have already known this. You really can't be mad at Carnival for your lack of reading the rules. Maybe you're just upset that you can't have that free bottle of wine that your friends wanted to send you. Drink what you have and have fun. You should probably order some cheese to go with your whine. :rolleyes:

Getting ready for Thanksgiving, is this really necessary? No, not the stupid policy, not a bottle of wine, but these posts should turn most off a good line.

Most people don't read the fine print. They are too busy actually being ready and happy, some anyways?

Now, a few will be buying rum runners!

Pauline

Edited by Blk_Amish

Clearly a drama queen. I'd have been more embarrassed starting this thread.

A bottle of wine will prevent you from sailing with CCL?

Thats a pretty weak excuse.

This is dumb. If you would have read the beer and liquor restrictions before purchasing all this stuff you would have already known this. You really can't be mad at Carnival for your lack of reading the rules. Maybe you're just upset that you can't have that free bottle of wine that your friends wanted to send you. Drink what you have and have fun. You should probably order some cheese to go with your whine. :rolleyes:

I guess you guys didn't read Jimmy's other post:

Just reading some of your messages makes me realize how trivial this is.... and I needed to change the attitude...

With Thanks ! ;)

You could at least try to keep up.

You are good:D :)

They kind of miss the boat with the flame on this one, but someone called a guy a drama queen. That is weak:eek:

Edited by Blk_Amish

Just reading some of your messages makes me realize how trivial this is.... and I needed to change the attitude...

With Thanks ! ;)

I'm not reading 3 pages of drama. My reply was to the OP's original post. Glad to see he had a change of heart. More people need to take lessons from him and learn to lighten up!

Getting ready for Thanksgiving, is this really necessary? No, not the stupid policy, not a bottle of wine, but these posts should turn most off a good line.

Most people don't read the fine print. They are too busy actually being ready and happy, some anyways?

Now, a few will be buying rum runners!

Pauline

Exactly. That is nobody's fault but their own. All he can do now is learn from his mistake. It's pretty trivial really.

Exactly. That is nobody's fault but their own. All he can do now is learn from his mistake. It's pretty trivial really.

Sadly, some can't learn through all the sarcasm, put down, and name calling, as if we are addressing/abusing our children or loved ones not total strangers !

Quote- "You should probably order some cheese to go with your whine"

Quote - "Clearly a drama queen."

Edited by Blk_Amish

Sadly, some can't learn through all the sarcasm, put down, and name calling, as if we are addressing/abusing our children or loved ones not total strangers !

Quote- "You should probably order some cheese to go with your whine"

Quote - "Clearly a drama queen."

Speaking of drama queens... Get over it. :rolleyes:

I found out about the 2 bottle limit on my last cruise. I thought about having someone but me another bottle but decided not to, looks like it would not have worked anyway. I guess it makes sense.

Have a great cruise

I just wanted to tell you of an episode this past weekend that was very embarrassing and I've not even taken the cruise yet (Dec. 03 - Carnival Splendor).

We are seniors (physically, not mentally) however, we booked this cruise several months ago out of NYC. Took balcony stateroom in the Cloud9 Spa area. This is my 2nd Carnival cruise (last one in 2009) - but this will be my 20th cruise overall.

Through the Fun Shops, I ordered some food/snacks/birthday cake and even a cash card. For sail-a-way, I ordered a bottle of champagne. I also ordered a wine package (5 bottles) to use during the cruise.

This past Saturday night, went to friends for dinner and was told that they tried ordering a bottle of sparkling wine to be sent to the cabin for my birthday (4 days after cruise departed) and was told "NO" -

Here's the response they got from doing this ONLINE:

{QUOTE}

Sorry, there were some problems with your submission:

Carnival believes in safety first. Please note there is a maximum of two alcohol products per booking available through The Fun Shops. This booking already contains two or more alcohol products. Please remove or reduce the item quantity of alcohol specific products in your cart or you can choose another booking if you need to. Thank you.

{END QUOTE}

So since I had already ordered things for MYSELF - by MYSELF - No one can order any alcohol for me as a gift. They couldn't even order a BAR CARD !!!

My friend then kidded me by asking "How much alcohol are you drinking on board that they stop me from giving you a bottle for your birthday - even though it's more on the ship than on land?" While I had a laugh, I was embarrassed. I suggested they bypass the website and call directly to the Fun Shops. Guess what?? SAME ANSWER.

So.. Don't order any alcohol for yourself if you might think that someone would surprise you with a bottle 'cause they might not be able to.

NO OTHER CARRIER that I have experienced have ever done this - even carriers that are under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.

So - now my friend will post on his extensive website and subscriber base telling them not to travel Carnival if the carrier thinks that their passengers are drunkards and unable to have more than 2 bottles per stateroom for a cruise.

No wonder so many people on this forum become Run Runners.

From the quote "Carnival believes in safety first" - What a laugh! All they care about is sucking more money from your wallet - and telling you that you can't handle your beverages. And then they want more money for you to have your room ready when you check in - just another way to suck $50 more from you even before you board.

What a crock.

Carnival has totally lost my support. I now wonder what other "rules" Carnival will have on the upcoming cruise!

JimmyJ

The same thing happened to me when I tried to order a a 3rd bottle of wine to be delivered to the MDR......I was about to contact my PVP when I tried it again and the next time it went through; imho, i think it was because the first time I didn't click on the boxes agreeing to the "terms and conditions"....don't let this snafu spoil you on what could be a wonderful cruise vacatioln:D

From the quote "Carnival believes in safety first" - What a laugh! All they care about is sucking more money from your wallet - and telling you that you can't handle your beverages.

JimmyJ

If all they cared about was sucking money from your wallet then wouldn't they let you order as much as you wanted?

I'm sorry you feel embarrassed but each line has unique rules. Because "other Carnival umbrella lines" don't have similar rules means, in your opinion, all rules should be the same across the board?

The same thing happened to me when I tried to order a a 3rd bottle of wine to be delivered to the MDR......I was about to contact my PVP when I tried it again and the next time it went through; imho, i think it was because the first time I didn't click on the boxes agreeing to the "terms and conditions"....don't let this snafu spoil you on what could be a wonderful cruise vacatioln:D

I ordered a beer cooler package for our sons room. Later our 2 nephews booked in his cabin so I tried to order each of them their own cooler got the same message. I picked up the phone and called carnival and ordered through them no problem.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to say the policy seems perfectly reasonable to me ( and I do work in a legal field)

Look at it from the OTHER side.

If Carnival DIDN'T limit purchases like that - someone would sue them for "selling too much" and facilitating an injury etc etc etc

There are always 2 sides.......

I just wanted to tell you of an episode this past weekend that was very embarrassing and I've not even taken the cruise yet (Dec. 03 - Carnival Splendor).

We are seniors (physically, not mentally) however, we booked this cruise several months ago out of NYC. Took balcony stateroom in the Cloud9 Spa area. This is my 2nd Carnival cruise (last one in 2009) - but this will be my 20th cruise overall.

Through the Fun Shops, I ordered some food/snacks/birthday cake and even a cash card. For sail-a-way, I ordered a bottle of champagne. I also ordered a wine package (5 bottles) to use during the cruise.

This past Saturday night, went to friends for dinner and was told that they tried ordering a bottle of sparkling wine to be sent to the cabin for my birthday (4 days after cruise departed) and was told "NO" -

Here's the response they got from doing this ONLINE:

{QUOTE}

Sorry, there were some problems with your submission:

Carnival believes in safety first. Please note there is a maximum of two alcohol products per booking available through The Fun Shops. This booking already contains two or more alcohol products. Please remove or reduce the item quantity of alcohol specific products in your cart or you can choose another booking if you need to. Thank you.

{END QUOTE}

So since I had already ordered things for MYSELF - by MYSELF - No one can order any alcohol for me as a gift. They couldn't even order a BAR CARD !!!

My friend then kidded me by asking "How much alcohol are you drinking on board that they stop me from giving you a bottle for your birthday - even though it's more on the ship than on land?" While I had a laugh, I was embarrassed. I suggested they bypass the website and call directly to the Fun Shops. Guess what?? SAME ANSWER.

So.. Don't order any alcohol for yourself if you might think that someone would surprise you with a bottle 'cause they might not be able to.

NO OTHER CARRIER that I have experienced have ever done this - even carriers that are under the Carnival Corporation umbrella.

So - now my friend will post on his extensive website and subscriber base telling them not to travel Carnival if the carrier thinks that their passengers are drunkards and unable to have more than 2 bottles per stateroom for a cruise.

No wonder so many people on this forum become Run Runners.

From the quote "Carnival believes in safety first" - What a laugh! All they care about is sucking more money from your wallet - and telling you that you can't handle your beverages. And then they want more money for you to have your room ready when you check in - just another way to suck $50 more from you even before you board.

What a crock.

Carnival has totally lost my support. I now wonder what other "rules" Carnival will have on the upcoming cruise!

JimmyJ

You got to do what you got to do.

Wow. Lots of posts about whether the OP overreacted and whether the liquor policy is reasonable or not. But as I read the original post, I thought the main issue was the privacy issue -- that is, that an unrelated party would be told about a private transaction between the OP and the cruise line.

In the scheme of things, it is not a giant deal and perhaps no surprise that a fellow passenger plans to consume alcohol on board. Nonetheless it is nobody's business that I have ordered liquor for my cabin. But the fact that I have ordered alcohol should never be divulged to an unrelated third party passenger regardless of the circumstances.

I do commend the OP on the way he handled the sometimes nasty replies to his post.

Wow. Lots of posts about whether the OP overreacted and whether the liquor policy is reasonable or not. But as I read the original post, I thought the main issue was the privacy issue -- that is, that an unrelated party would be told about a private transaction between the OP and the cruise line.

In the scheme of things, it is not a giant deal and perhaps no surprise that a fellow passenger plans to consume alcohol on board. Nonetheless it is nobody's business that I have ordered liquor for my cabin. But the fact that I have ordered alcohol should never be divulged to an unrelated third party passenger regardless of the circumstances.

I do commend the OP on the way he handled the sometimes nasty replies to his post.

I concur.

<thumbs up>

Absolutely agree. Maybe the OP overreacted at first but it was definitely poorly handled by the phone rep.