Lens Choice for Plane-spotting @ Maho / St Maarten?

YOW

G'day everyone,

We're scheduled to call on Marigot on our upcoming Azamara Quest cruise next month, and I'd like to head over to Maho Beach for some spotting at SXM.

Travelling a bit downsized on the gear these days, with a Sony NEX being the primary camera. Lenses I plan to bring along are the Sony 55-210, a Nikon nifty fifty (and that's a maybe), a 30mm Sigma prime for Sony E-mount, and a Tokina 12-24 (also for Nikon).

Would love to shoot wide with the 12-24 on that beach, catching the aircraft landing. Only thought is that the Tokina can only be focused manually when paired (via converter) with the NEX. Contemplating a purchase of the Sony wide lens(es), but not sure yet.

Any suggestions?

Or shooting advice other than lens selection? I've only been out spotting at airports on a few occasions, but think I have the general hang of it.

When I went to Maho, I took a 18-200mm. In fact, when on cruises, I travel light if I can, and on excursions, I usually take a Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5~5.6 (I used to take the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8), and the Nikon AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5~5.6.

This was about 50mm when sitting next to the surfboard at the Sunset Bar.

maho1.jpg

I would highly recommend a zoom so that you can take a bunch of photos of the approach - which necessitates different focal lengths.

And thanks to pierces (his idea), I tried making a panorama of a landing (these photos were closer to 24mm). Mine did not come out as nice as his, but I didn't take enough photos.

ma.jpg

Edited by awboater

Here are my examples. Take a look and see what you like best. You are probably not going to be disappointed no matter what you take as the venue is is one of the best photo-ops in the Caribbean.

The first time I went with the DSLR and 11-18mm ultra-wide. the shots were interesting but in looking back, I like the distortion and perspective less than I thought I would. They are cool (as are everybody's Maho shots! :D) but I like the later ones better:

p615099374-4.jpg

Gallery: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/p40676960

The second trip I just took my NEX-7 and the SEL 16-50 zoom. All of the pictures were taken with the NEX were in that range. I took a few of the departure shots with my trusty HX5V with it's longer zoom, but I suppose I could have simply cropped a 50mm shot.

p1552664122-5.jpg

Gallery: http://galleries.pptphoto.com/caribbean201304

Next time, I may try the 8mm Rokinon fisheye directly under the flight path...but that's iffy since it would place me in the sun and quite a ways from our table and my frosty bottle of Red Stripe!;)

Oh, I almost forgot.DO NOT forget your polarizer!

p1552667350-4.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave

They asked about Sony wide angle for their NEX. Would the Sony

10-18mm do the trick?

The 10-18 is actually a very good lens. Expensive but the test shots I've seen show it to be excellent at controlling distortion and chromatic aberration. Add the NEX's ability to perform in-camera correction and the lens produces great results.

I am personally waffling between that lens and the Sigma 8-16 for A-mount since I could use it on both the A77 and NEX. If i only had NEX (which may happen if I get hooked by the A7/A7r), the 10-18 would be a no-brainer.

Dave

I NEED to get some shots like those when we are there!!!! I am assuming you use a high shutter speed to stop the motion?

The shots varied between 1/400 and 1/1000 on the sunny shots and as low as 1/200 on the cloudy ones. Even when panning, a wide angle doesn't show blurring as critically as a telephoto would.

Dave

I've been using the SEL16mm + ECU1 converter for a 12mm perspective as my UWA for my NEX for the past year or so and it's been fine, especially for the price - but I've also been accustomed to using my Tamron 10-24mm on my DSLR and having that zoom flexibility and stabilization were both still tempting me.

Two days ago, Sony dropped the 10-18mm OSS lens sale price by $100 - so you cannow grab it at a much more reasonable $748. And on top of that, Amazon is offering a 4% bonus for qualified lens and camera purchases, which this lens qualifies for - that will give you another $30 in Amazon credit...making the lens $718. I couldn't resist, so I purchased the 10-18mm lens which I should have tomorrow. I'm headed to Disney in 5 days, and having that lens for the NEX was just too tempting.

For Maho, I'd say the UWA perspective would be great if you're willing to stand on the beach right in the flight path, and catch them as they go overhead at 10mm. Otherwise, if you're more likely to stay at the bar and shoot them as they go past, a normal 16-18mm kit lens or basic lens should be fine.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say hi & thanks after a fun experience at SXM last week.

http://www.ariphoto.com/stmaarten/e1ae298a1

Best catch of the day, and maybe my favourite image of the trip. Shot from Sunset Bar with the 18-55 kit lens... much of the approach was in shade, as the beach had been for the past several minutes. Just as the star of the show reached us, however, the sun came out -- and I managed to dial down the shutter speed and recompose just in time to catch a few shots of the 747 right over the beach. :)