Elevator Etiquette

eruss

On one of our cruises we all had a problem on one of the elevators. 4 young boys had taken it over. Pushing all the buttons. Sitting on the floor in a group. When I got on, the adults were pressed into one of the back corners. I did a step over to get in. I carry my cell phone in plane mode as my watch. I calmly took my cell phone, acted as tho I dialed a number then, In a loud voice said "Security, we have a problem on elevator 5". When the door opened, the boys rushed out. After that, every time they saw me around the ship, they went the other way. When I got off of the elevator all of the adults were still laughing and patting me on the back. Elevators can be fun afterall.:cool:

On one of our cruises we all had a problem on one of the elevators. 4 young boys had taken it over. Pushing all the buttons. Sitting on the floor in a group. When I got on, the adults were pressed into one of the back corners. I did a step over to get in. I carry my cell phone in plane mode as my watch. I calmly took my cell phone, acted as tho I dialed a number then, In a loud voice said "Security, we have a problem on elevator 5". When the door opened, the boys rushed out. After that, every time they saw me around the ship, they went the other way. When I got off of the elevator all of the adults were still laughing and patting me on the back. Elevators can be fun afterall.:cool:

Where's the "LIKE" button when you need one. Will remember this one.

Don

No it's not just you. There are some that have absolutely no manners when it comes to the use of elevators.

After a few days on board, you will begin to recognize these same people at other places besides the elevators, and realize that it is not just elevator etiquette they lack..........it is usually all etiquette and common manners that are missing. ;)

That is a multiple thumbs up !

I think those same kids might have been on our December cruise last year! Not only did they take over one of the elevators, they sat in one of the stairwells playing games and refused to move for people going up and down the stairs!

In addition to the problems already mentioned, one problem we've encountered is people standing in the way when the elevator doors open and we want to get out. People stand there in the way or push past us as we are trying to exit the elevator!

Edited by JimAOk1945

When it's just my family we take the stairs all the time. It's our personal challenge. Port days are especially fun with 10+ floors up to our room. But when we travel with my parents I am always saddened to see the elevator challenge of seemingly healthy people against physically challenged people. Ugh. And as previous posters have commented, it doesn't take a brains surgeon to realize when there is someone who needs a little extra time, and instead of being gracious, people dart past them onto the elevator.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When it's just my family we take the stairs all the time. It's our personal challenge. Port days are especially fun with 10+ floors up to our room. But when we travel with my parents I am always saddened to see the elevator challenge of seemingly healthy people against physically challenged people. Ugh. And as previous posters have commented, it doesn't take a brains surgeon to realize when there is someone who needs a little extra time, and instead of being gracious, people dart past them onto the elevator.

and exactly how do you know who needs to use the elevator vs the stairs. wife has had both knees replaced and walks just fine until she takes the stairs a few times. no one looking at her in the elevator would think she was physically challenged.

btw, poor elevators manners exist almost everywhere. try working in multiple hospitals. always loved the deer in the headlights look of folks waiting to get on that won't move from the doorway so folks can get off and make room for them.

Edited by Sherlock43031

Some are rude and some are stupid.

When they combine, it's a particularly bad situation.

Thanks luddite, I am going to steal that one from you and add it to my list of favorite "witticisms" that I have as "quick text" messages for randomly sending to my two away at college children. Backs up one of my favorites that I have been exposing them to ever since they reached their teens and began going places with "friends".

Never underestimate the persuasive power of stupid people in large groups

Edited by MermaidWatcher

Thanks luddite, I am going to steal that one from you and add it to my list of favorite "witticisms" that I have as "quick text" messages for randomly sending to my two away at college children. Backs up one of my favorites that I have been exposing them to ever since they reached their teens and began going places with "friends".

Never underestimate the persuasive power of stupid people in large groups

I have a niece who is teacher. 6 or 7th grade science.

About four years ago, 3 months into a new school year, I saw her. I asked if she liked this year's group. She replied No, she hated them and that they were rude and stupid and she was trying to explain to them that it is particularly bad combination.

I'm always fascinated by a rude person standing in front of an elevator door when it arrives and I'm on the lift at my floor. They stand like a lump thinking I might move out of their way so they may enter. The stupid ones continue to stand in the way, not realizing that they cannot enter until I leave.

and exactly how do you know who needs to use the elevator vs the stairs. wife has had both knees replaced and walks just fine until she takes the stairs a few times. no one looking at her in the elevator would think she was physically challenged.

btw, poor elevators manners exist almost everywhere. try working in multiple hospitals. always loved the deer in the headlights look of folks waiting to get on that won't move from the doorway so folks can get off and make room for them.

The people that shove my dad out of the way and the run off the elevator at their floor are the ones I wonder about. I'm *relatively* young but have a bad knee so I do the baby step going down stairs and lean back on my bad knee going up for the last 6 months. Finally had surgery but not sure what the outcome will be. I'm not looking at people thinking who deserves to ride the elevator or not. For me, it's the attitude of taking your turn and being polite.