Complimentary seasick meds

emilygrace

Don't know about other cruise lines, but Princess stopped it quite a while ago due to liability issues. It's dispensing medicine without a license. If the other lines are still doing it, they are opening themselves to law suits in this litigious society.

I agree. It's a liability issue. Just like schools don't hand out medications either. There are many OTC medications or ginger tablets you can bring on your own. If you get really sick, you can go to the Medical Center.

It's also a liability issue to me & if someone takes too many free meds disbursed by a cruise line & gets injured then the cruise line could be liable. At least with a paid prescription the dosage is in writing & if a passenger doesn't follow instructions then it's their fault.

Decades ago our pre-teen son was getting seasick so we got free meclizine at the PSD. Lacking any written instructions he took a 2nd pill because he was still feeling nauseous & locked himself in our cabin before falling into a deep sleep. It was an old key lock & since he left the key in the lock inside the cabin we couldn't get in. They rang the loud phone for nearly 30 minutes & were about to remove the door when access was gained. Thankfully he wasn't injured but he was in such a deep sleep that it was impossible to wake him up & it put him in danger.

If he had been injured there would most likely have been liability issues for the cruise line for distributing meds without more control so I can understand why they no longer give free meds to passengers.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Another thing to consider is that one remedy that works for one might not for the other, and might even cause some undesirable side effects. I would rather make a trek to Cost Plus and get a ton of candied ginger chews, which goes into my carry ons (as soon as I start packing), my purse, and my suitcase. At least, ginger doesn't make me drowsy as the OTC pills do (bonine, etc.).