Complimentary seasick meds

emilygrace

Tried a search, got nothing relevant, so I'll ask. Does Princess have free seasick meds at the guest relations desk or outside the medical unit? I know one cruise line that we have been on did not give them out for free, but I can't remember which one.

Thanks!

Edited by emilygrace

Tried a search, got nothing relevant, so I'll ask. Does Princess have free seasick meds at the guest relations desk or outside the medical unit? I know one cruise line that we have been on did not give them out for free, but I can't remember which one.

Thanks!

It's been many years since I've seen free seasick meds on any cruiseline however Princess does sell Bonine in the gift shop for about $1 per tablet. My seasick prone wife brings generic Bonine (meclizine HCI) which costs pennies per tablet & is available OTC at drug & big box stores. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Wow, we have gotten free ones on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Holland America and NCL. And recently too. We haven't been on Princess in over ten years, so I was trying to remember so I'd know whether or not to buy any before our cruise in March.

Don't know about other cruise lines, but Princess stopped it quite a while ago due to liability issues. It's dispensing medicine without a license. If the other lines are still doing it, they are opening themselves to law suits in this litigious society.

Don't know about other cruise lines, but Princess stopped it quite a while ago due to liability issues. It's dispensing medicine without a license. If the other lines are still doing it, they are opening themselves to law suits in this litigious society.
I agree. It's a liability issue. Just like schools don't hand out medications either. There are many OTC medications or ginger tablets you can bring on your own. If you get really sick, you can go to the Medical Center. Any cost would be reimbursed by insurance.

if you are prone to motion or sea sickness and wait to get free meds on board, it's too late. I'd get some at a pharmacy or store prior to sailing. I suffer from motion sickness (air travel and sea are the worse for me) so I carry my own. I"ve never needed it on a large cruise ship. They seem to be fairly stable. good luck.

I think the stuff the other cruise lines give out IS the over the counter kind. I doubt that they are handing out anything that requires a prescription.

You are right.

Legally, it doesn't matter if it's OTC or not. They are still giving you a medication that you may be allergic to and they will be held responsible.

Legally, it doesn't matter if it's OTC or not. They are still giving you a medication that you may be allergic to and they will be held responsible.

I think it depends on local laws. I also wonder if it makes a difference if it is an adult or not. I work at a college and our nurses often dispense OTC drugs (though nothing with sudafed). They said that they are not allowed to dispense of sudafed.

I think it depends on local laws. I also wonder if it makes a difference if it is an adult or not. I work at a college and our nurses often dispense OTC drugs (though nothing with sudafed). They said that they are not allowed to dispense of sudafed.

I think the difference is that at your college, it is a nurse dispensing the meds. That nurse would (or should) take the time to ask questions regarding allergies, symptoms etc. she then would chart what she asked and what med she gave etc. Quite different than a stranger on a ship giving out pills.

I think the difference is that at your college, it is a nurse dispensing the meds. That nurse would (or should) take the time to ask questions regarding allergies, symptoms etc. she then would chart what she asked and what med she gave etc. Quite different than a stranger on a ship giving out pills.

You are probably right. I just saw someone said that schools don't administer OTC drugs. I do know on other lines, they have given sea sick meds out. Maybe it has to do with international water, etc... I don't know. Crime laws seem to be different on international waters so who knows.

Edited by Coral

I agree. It's a liability issue. Just like schools don't hand out medications either. There are many OTC medications or ginger tablets you can bring on your own. If you get really sick, you can go to the Medical Center. Any cost would be reimbursed by insurance.

It may be a liability issue but it's one other lines have chosen to handle differently. HAL and RCCL have packets of seasick pills down in the medical room - and during off hours they either have a dispenser or you can ring a bell and someone will come out at any time with a packet of them.

You have to bring your own or buy them in the ships store. I forgot mine on a SF to Alaska cruise.

The passenger service desk told me to wait until after sail away when the store opened. :eek: The whole idea is to have them before you sail.

I know HAL and CCL used to give free ones, but no more.

Pat

Getting a little off track here but, Princess seems a bit stricter than other cruise lines. IE: Their kids club will only start when a child is 3. They are very strict with this. Other lines start at 2 years old. Another line takes children at 6 months in their children's club. It has to do with the rick management team and insurance.

It may be a liability issue but it's one other lines have chosen to handle differently. HAL and RCCL have packets of seasick pills down in the medical room - and during off hours they either have a dispenser or you can ring a bell and someone will come out at any time with a packet of them.
I know... I've been on both multiple times. :) As has been said, it's probably a liability issue and each line has established it's risks. I believe you can buy seasickness pills in the ship's store. I never look because I never get seasick but if that's the case, it's not as if pills aren't available. They're just not free and being handed out like candy.

Thanks for all your replies. I usually have one or two packets left over from a previous cruise to take on boarding day and I am used to getting more on the ship.

I know they are not expensive to buy at Walmart, etc. but we do not cruise all that often (once or twice a year) so they usually expire before we can use them all.

So now I know, when on Princess bring my own!

Does Princess have free seasick meds at the guest relations desk or outside the medical unit? I know one cruise line that we have been on did not give them out for free, but I can't remember which one.

!

I wouldn't count on "freebies". :o That's why they are sold in the stores onboard.

If you think you might need any kind of med for any condition, bring your own along. Motion sickness pills have long expiration dates and you might be able to use them for another trip if not this one.

Motion sickness pills do nothing unless you take them BEFORE you have symptoms.

emilygrace,

I just bought Bonine at our local supermarket for $2.50 (8 tabs). Heading for a 7 night next week and my wife swears by the stuff. She takes one in the morning before ever getting on the ship and takes one every morning including the day we disembark. When we go on longer cruises I buy the 16 tabs for around $4.00.

Since I am not your physician I know I am going to open myself up to huge lawsuits, but --

BUY THE PILLS AND TAKE THEM EVERYDAY STARTING BEFORE YOU EVER GET ON THE SHIP! :D:p:D It's less than a cup of coffee at Starbucks!

Now, can I tell you about the old guy in line at the grocery store buying only an 8 pack of Bonine the day before Thanksgiving?! Great timing!