MSC confirms that Lirica is to be lengthened

Norwegian Cruiser 73

Finally MSC Cruises confirms that the MSC Lirica will be lengthened and 200 cabins will be added. Very interesting news indeed. The ship will be ready next year. The article also says that MSC Orchestra will head for Australia but is this just one cruise or will the ship be based down under?

Rear more here:

At a press conference in Brazil celebrating the arrival of the MSC Preziosa to the market, MSC confirmed they will add 200 rooms to the Lirica,

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10309-msc-lirica-to-be-lengthened-msc-set-for-asiaaustralia-with-orchestra.html

Finally MSC Cruises confirms that the MSC Lirica will be lengthened and 200 cabins will be added. Very interesting news indeed. The ship will be ready next year. The article also says that MSC Orchestra will head for Australia but is this just one cruise or will the ship be based down under?

Rear more here:

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10309-msc-lirica-to-be-lengthened-msc-set-for-asiaaustralia-with-orchestra.html

Thanks for the link.

The article also says that MSC Orchestra will head for Australia but is this just one cruise or will the ship be based down under?

No, only a cruise from Dubai to Fremantle. http://www.msccruises.com/gl_en/Cruise-Departures/Cruise-Details-MSC-Orchestra.aspx?cruise_id=OR20150221DXBFRE&ship_code=OR

And then from Fremantle to Rome (charter Gallipoli cruise). http://www.cruising.com.au/gallipoli-cruise-2015-freemantle-to-rome/2015-03-26

Edited by MM42

Finally MSC Cruises confirms that the MSC Lirica will be lengthened and 200 cabins will be added. [/url]

Will be interesting to take part of the plans... I do hope that MSC will release the details within short :p

I have cruised onboard both MSC Opera and MSC Armonia (both times in Suites...the only cabins onboard which have balconies).

I am 100 % sure that the lengthening will implicate a new cabin category, i.e. Balcony Cabins! :)

Will be interesting to take part of the plans... I do hope that MSC will release the details within short :p

I have cruised onboard both MSC Opera and MSC Armonia (both times in Suites...the only cabins onboard which have balconies).

I am 100 % sure that the lengthening will implicate a new cabin category, i.e. Balcony Cabins! :)

The Opera does have balcony cabins, it's the only one of the Lirica class that does (deck10) it has only a small number of suites on deck 12. The rest of the class has no balcony cabins, only balcony suites.

In the meantime, can we speculate as to when Lirica will be lengthened?

I am considering the Dubai-Genua trip next March (2014), which has an interesting itinerary for what is essentially a Repo, but it occurs to me that this would be the time they would choose to put it into dry dock...

In the meantime, can we speculate as to when Lirica will be lengthened?

I am considering the Dubai-Genua trip next March (2014), which has an interesting itinerary for what is essentially a Repo, but it occurs to me that this would be the time they would choose to put it into dry dock...

According to a source it will start at the Fincanteri yard in Palermo in April 2014. It appear that MSC will start the construction after the reposition to Europe.

According to a source it will start at the Fincanteri yard in Palermo in April 2014. It appear that MSC will start the construction after the reposition to Europe.

Thank you!

I wonder whether they might alter the itinerary to finish the repo in Palermo, thus saving themselves a fair number of sea miles tootling up and down the Italian coastline...

Again, my thanks. My Italian is so non-existent that I'm at sea with translating this; are they suggesting that the ship will go into dry dock on 4th April?

If so then they would probably have to dump the repo altogether if they want to get from Dubai to Palermo in seven days...

Again, my thanks. My Italian is so non-existent that I'm at sea with translating this; are they suggesting that the ship will go into dry dock on 4th April?

If so then they would probably have to dump the repo altogether if they want to get from Dubai to Palermo in seven days...

Yes, that must be worrying. She can do it in 7 days but without any ports of call and that probably means without guests. I would seek clarification from whoever you booked with and, if confirmed, get your claim in for any out-of-pocket expenses such as flights, hotels, etc. as well as asking what compensation and alternative cruise you will be offered. The source may be mistaken of course. No timetable has been officially announced as yet.

Then when our Armonia Red Sea cruise was cancelled, the first we knew about it was when MSC started advertising the same ship, at the same time, in a different part of the World! It took a couple of weeks for them to admit to the patently obvious.

Tim.

Courtesy of Google Translate:

RESTYLING FOR MSC OPERA

As we told you a few weeks ago HERE , it seems that the four ships of Class Lyric will undergo a restyling between 2014 and 2015 and, in particular, will be stretched to make room for 200 new cabs . According to the rumors, unconfirmed by the Company, the sites intended for this work would be those of Fincantieri in Palermo, where MSC has repeatedly submitted their ships in dry dock.

The first will own MSC Lirica that from 4 April to 14 July 2014 will come into dock where you will add a section, approximately 24 meters to the height of the third boat from the stern, the ship cutting through the technique MVZ, namely Main Vertical Zone . This section will be placed approximately 100 passenger cabins and 70 rooms for the crew, as well as shops and a restaurant. The remaining 100 booths will be converted to crew areas.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Tim

I haven't booked the March 2014 Dubai-Genoa voyage yet; I think it's probably a good idea to hold off for a while. Otherwise I would have to pay in full up-front and then possibly find myself in the same position as you. It would be fun to be on the last voyage of the unstretched Lirica, though:)

Incidentally, there are a couple of MSC ships in port in Tenerife when I am there; I don't suppose that they will let me go onboard and have a look around...

Tim

I haven't booked the March 2014 Dubai-Genoa voyage yet; I think it's probably a good idea to hold off for a while. Otherwise I would have to pay in full up-front and then possibly find myself in the same position as you. It would be fun to be on the last voyage of the unstretched Lirica, though:)

The date given elsewhere for the Lirica stretch is 24th April, so you should be fine.

Incidentally, there are a couple of MSC ships in port in Tenerife when I am there; I don't suppose that they will let me go onboard and have a look around...

I don't suppose they will. The Mossad boys who are MSC's ship security team are not known for their sense of humour or accommodation of whimsical requests, no matter how charmingly put.

Been in touch with a friend who works for Fincantieri at Monfalcone who tells me the they have no plans for the work being carried out there as far as he knows so the report of Palermo could well be right.

He is currently working on the Britannia for P and O.

The date given elsewhere for the Lirica stretch is 24th April, so you should be fine.

I don't suppose they will. The Mossad boys who are MSC's ship security team are not known for their sense of humour or accommodation of whimsical requests, no matter how charmingly put.

Is it Mossad alone?? The Lirica took on board a UK security team at Suez for the Gulf of Aden passage.

Annie

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks of that.

I could live without the water park and cannons but the rest doesn't sound too bad.

I assumed the water canons reflected the increasing risk of piracy in various parts of the World but I suppose they could be turned on lingerers when the bars close to clear the decks.

I assumed the water canons reflected the increasing risk of piracy in various parts of the World but I suppose they could be turned on lingerers when the bars close to clear the decks.

Hadn't thought of that last purpose - now I like them even less as an often lingerer!