How dressy??MDR

tinkandpan

My parent have just booked us a family voyage on the Explorer. I have only cruised once with RCL many years ago on a four night cruise. Usually we do windstar where the attire is business/ country club casual. Recently we just did NCL breakaway which was pretty informal. How dressy do people really get dressed? In addition, what about my son who is 12. For NCL he was able to wear dress shorts and a polo to the dining rooms.

Thanks so much!

Here is one running thread on Formal night

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1945189

Business/resort casual is fine, shorts are not allowed during dinner (you probably wouldn't get turned away)

Another running thread referring to children :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1948004

It is a very controversial subject and you will here varying ideas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Edited by oneputt18

Thousand opinions, but IMHO regular nights, not including the first and last nights where anything goes, just nice pants and a shirt with a collar would be more than OK. Formal nights, well here is where it gets rough in this RC forum LOL. Again in my opinion, just look better than normal, a jacket for men would be nice with a open shirt/or tie or designer t shirt. You will see everything, from Formal tux, black suits to inappropriate casual to modern fantastic outfits , but as I said you can just look nicer than usual and you will not feel out of place. We are are not formal dressers, I wear a sports coat, if I have room for it and a shirt, but that is my choice.

However please no shorts in the MDR or Bib overhauls LOL

Thanks- it gets so hard because living in the NYC area, I feel as though nobody ever gets dressed up any longer. It's usually jeans, heels and a nice blouse for ladies and men maybe a sports coat. We are just so much more laid back especially on vacation. My husband would never wear shorts obviously to dinner- but as hoping we could get away with nice ones for my 12 yo. Oh well.

Guest maddycat
Thanks- it gets so hard because living in the NYC area, I feel as though nobody ever gets dressed up any longer. It's usually jeans, heels and a nice blouse for ladies and men maybe a sports coat. We are just so much more laid back especially on vacation. My husband would never wear shorts obviously to dinner- but as hoping we could get away with nice ones for my 12 yo. Oh well.

Your son could probably get away with nice shorts but would fit in much better, and feel more comfortable, if he wore slacks or even a nice pair of dark jeans.

I have always packed one pair of khaki's and a few different polo's to wear on non-formal nights. One pair was plenty because he would put them on right before dinner, and race back to change right after dinner, lol. We've been cruising since he was 5, and even at that age I would never in a million years have let him wear "nice" shorts to dinner, no way. Khaki's have served him well. :)

-gina-

They do ask that you don't wear shorts in the dining room.But I have seen young boys about your son age wearing pressed shorts, Tshirt and shoes and socks in the dining room on causal night only and not get turned away.But on smart causal and formal night boys all wear long pants in the dining room.I would try to get your son to wear Khaki's(long pants) in the dining room just so you don't feel like you are breaking any rules.

Edited by Jasp 0401

My parent have just booked us a family voyage on the Explorer. I have only cruised once with RCL many years ago on a four night cruise. Usually we do windstar where the attire is business/ country club casual. Recently we just did NCL breakaway which was pretty informal. How dressy do people really get dressed? In addition, what about my son who is 12. For NCL he was able to wear dress shorts and a polo to the dining rooms.

Thanks so much!

You will see everything in the dining room. I have nice 'walking shorts' that are made out of linen or pressed cotton. On first night or last night of a cruise, I am fine wearing those to dining room with a nice blouse -- but that is the most casual I will go for dinner. Other nights slacks or simple easy to pack skirts with matching tops...not much more formal for me on formal nite (no evening dress, for me); hubby does 'nice business casual' -- khakis and shirts; on formal night sports jacket with button down shirt, no tie.

Slacks and pullover shirts for young boys..would be fine --- and it can be chilly in dining room. But I have seen nice khaki shorts on children, which looked fine, as well.

So you will see everything!!!! -- I repeat.

you can "get away with" about anything if you really want to. a 12 yo could certainly manage a pair of chinos and a nice polo or hawaiian type shirt. in the caribbean I would wear pressed chinos, open collar button down long sleeve shirt and a blue travel type blazer. eating in the mdr is a great way for a 12 yo to pick-up dining etiquette he won't get at the local Applebees. I

And you should be able to get by with shorts for a 12 y/o, except perhaps on the dress night and even then, if that is what you want. We dress up but that is what we like. If you want relaxed, it is Phoenix! You can also use other venues to eat if you feel that is more appropriate. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks all. Considering he's been to most of the top restaurants in NYC- I'm not too worried about him having the proper etiquette compared to Applebee's but I will admit to bring lazy about wanting to pack lots of extra changes of clothing. Like I said, just so used to wind star cruises which are so much more informal so it's just a different mindset. I've never been one for formal nights since we spend so much time dressing for events etc at home but it sounds line that's more the norm. Thanks all for your kind suggestions.

Thanks all. Considering he's been to most of the top restaurants in NYC- I'm not too worried about him having the proper etiquette compared to Applebee's but I will admit to bring lazy about wanting to pack lots of extra changes of clothing. Like I said, just so used to wind star cruises which are so much more informal so it's just a different mindset. I've never been one for formal nights since we spend so much time dressing for events etc at home but it sounds line that's more the norm. Thanks all for your kind suggestions.

One of the nice things about driving to the port is not having to worry about over packing. Perhaps a nice excuse to get a family photo taken?

you didn't mention how special he is.. from that kind of upbringing I would think he has his own tux.

you didn't mention how special he is.. from that kind of upbringing I would think he has his own tux.

My son has had his own tux for years... That hardly makes him "special." But the first time he wore a tux when he was about 13 and some teenage girls onboard told him he "looked like James Bond," he needed no convincing about dressing up for formal nights. ;)

• 1 month later...

When we sailed the Oasis, the DH wore a tux and I wore a long gown on formal nights. Very dressy attire was the norm. It was a very festive spirit. Noticed the t-shirt people were making themselves scarce in the buffet and such. Not sure if other Royal Caribbean ships go this upscale on formal nights. We are about to sail on the Serenade of the Seas and I am not so sure how dressy we need to be.

We were on the Navigator last month. I saw tshirts, shorts and hats worn in the MDR on informal nights by not only boys but men. On formal nights I saw everything on men from a few tux to suits to sport coats to pants/shirt with or without a tie. I wore jeans on informal night and khaki pants (dockers) on formal night and never had a problem. The so called dress code is ignored by many and it seems to be increasing.