New York transfers query for QM2 TA crossing

whiteladder42

Does anyone know if there might be a shuttle bus running to Penn Station from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal when we dock on Sunday 22nd December? When I rang Cunard they said these things aren't arranged until after you board which seems a bit late to make other arrangements if there isn't one going where you want!! Any advice welcome :)

We have crossed many many times from Southampton to Brooklyn and every single time there has been a form that the tour office on board sends to every stateroom with numerous choices for transfers to airports and to Penn Station. We've always had a full bus to Penn Station so it was never cancelled. You just sign up for what you want and hand it in to the tour office and they will send you a confirmation later with the time and place that you should meet on the final day.

On the booking section of Cunard's Website transfers to Penn Station and Grand Central are being offered for $49 for this crossing. It seems strange that Cunard's office doesn't know about that. From my experience the cost of transfers is considerably higher when booked on board, but $49 pp seems a bit steep. I always pay less than that for a transfer from Southampton to Gatwick, which is a considerably further distance.

$49 per person is very expensive. I booked and canceled a bus to La Guardia, and glad I did. The bus was $80 and the taxi ended up being $35 with tip.

The other advantage with a cab, is that you can disembark earlier, we did it at 8:15 am, got through customs, dropped the fedex bags and were out of the terminal by 8:45. You can leave as soon as your bags are in the hall.

I would take a cab, and go on my schedule.

Cheers Mike

Whiteladder, as a native New Yorker, I agree with the advice previously given: arrange a car service. Alternatively, you could catch a taxi, but Sun Dec 22 will be a high demand date for cabs, so they might be limited at the pier unless you are off the ship when new passengers are arriving.

Another bonus about hiring a car service is that if you have time, your driver can show you the sights before your train departs Penn Sta. Ever seen Fifth Avenue and Central Park at Christmastime?

Best wishes,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Does the advice for a car service hold if the intended destination is Newark airport? We're probably going to park at EWR for the Christmas cruise. We're spending a couple of nights in New York before the cruise and the PATH train is convenient to the hotel, so now I'm figuring out the best way back (willing to consider cab to the WTC to catch PATH back to Newark if is saves us enough money)

Does the advice for a car service hold if the intended destination is Newark airport? We're probably going to park at EWR for the Christmas cruise. We're spending a couple of nights in New York before the cruise and the PATH train is convenient to the hotel, so now I'm figuring out the best way back (willing to consider cab to the WTC to catch PATH back to Newark if is saves us enough money)

I use Gotham Limo Service. They send always the same driver, very convenient.

We, too, disembark in Brooklyn on Dec 22, for EWR. Since our luggage situation is rather terrifying, I've engaged Carmel Car Service. They've been our people for many years. Reliable, efficient, and often delightful drivers. Not especially cheap.

J

If you were looking for convenience to EWR, the Cunard Coach service is hard to beat. It may not be the cheapest method of transportation, but it has been absolutely trouble free for us in the past. FWIW, the handling our 50lb suitcases is more of a consideration for us now than it might have been a few years ago. ;)